Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Finally, after years of work, Wrack has been released! While Doom-inspired in some respects, it's more of an arcade-style FPS making use of many elements from platformers, like boss battles, checkpoints, and instant-death mechanics to keep you on your toes! It's sort of like a 3D Contra or Castlevania type game - the result being something we like to call a "first-person platformer".

This is the first pre-order release of Wrack. You'll get the first 3 completed levels, as well as the map editor, WrackEd, and access to future updates as we complete the first episode.

Anyway, here's the release trailer:

So, what do you guys think?

This looks pretty sweet and is surprisingly cheap. I'd pick it up right now save for the fact that my laptop's integrated graphics chip is garbage and it's bitten me in the ass with a number of games. I'd also appreciate a demo, if only so I can figure out whether or not the game will actually run on my machine.

We'll have a demo at some point. At the moment, it's only 3 levels so a demo wouldn't work too well. Once more of the game is completed, we'll certainly do that though.

I would expect a "WTF is..." of Wrack to come in the near future, too! :) I think I have an email to write...

DuckReconMajor said:

You keep saying released, isn't today pre-order day?

Same thing. You get to start playing as soon as you pre-order. But right now we just have the first 3 levels done, instead of the whole first episode.

a little bit tempted right now. it does look pretty fun and it would be nice to finally try some 3D editing.

congrats, btw. hope sales and reviews and everything go well for you. looks like you definitely deserve it, based on the work you put into this thing.

Carnevil said:

Same thing.

Uh, no? I mean, if you say "released" and the whole game isn't available to play, I don't think people consider that normal. You're basically releasing a demo.

DuckReconMajor said:

Uh, no? I mean, if you say "released" and the whole game isn't available to play, I don't think people consider that normal. You're basically releasing a demo.

Yeah, but if I say "pre-order it today", that doesn't imply that you get to play it, either. Neither is wholly accurate IMO, so I'm trying to use both while explaining what it really is at the same time.

Whatever man, I preordered, downloading now. But I still don't feel right with you going RELEASED RELEASED...but only the first 3 levels hee hee. I dunno, maybe you could have said "pre-order with demo available!" But maybe that's just me.

edit: actually, nowhere in the first post is it mentioned that you can only play the first 3 levels :(

I know. I just think people might feel a bit cheated as if you were promising them a full game, then they get to the pre-order page and read what's in it. Not trying to be mean, just trying to help you out.

Anyway, about to boot it up now, getting excited.

edit: aaagh, it won't let me log in!!

edit2: okay, i changed the password, it's letting me in now

edit3: alright, just played through it. Oh my god I just played Wrack! Love the movement, feels very controllable despite the speed. I'll have to get used to the complete air control though.

Also, the theme song is pretty catchy. That was Bobby Prince's doing?

DuckReconMajor said:

edit3: alright, just played through it. Oh my god I just played Wrack! Love the movement, feels very controllable despite the speed. I'll have to get used to the complete air control though.

Also, the theme song is pretty catchy. That was Bobby Prince's doing?

Yeah, all the music is from him. You're talking about Wrack & Roll though, right? The song used at the title screen and in the trailer? I love it!

Anyone else given this a try?

Pretty fun game, actually plays better than I was expecting from the videos. I have a few minor complaints/suggestions, but I'll post those over on your forum later. Working on a map right now.

Also, can you guys see my E1M1 high score? All I saw earlier was first place; my score was (a lot) lower, but nothing else was on the leaderboard at the time.

42,130? Yep, it's there! I actually watched the replay earlier. Nice job! :)

Also, can't wait to see what you do as far as mapping goes!

Yeah for some reason I thought "released" meant the entire game was finished.

How is the mapping goin by the way? Are there more than 3 finished levels so far, or did you include all finished material in the game? Are you bogged down with a whole bunch of WIP levels?

Almost all of the levels are done in some form or another (I think I only have one left to do on paper). Mostly we're waiting on texture packs for everything after E1M3. We're getting started on that soon, though. Episode 1 and 2 are fully playable though - just haven't been released.

ok. definitely gonna get this later today and start on some mapping this weekend.

Looks and sounds quite exciting, it's like Quake 2 with Bobby Prince music, great combination that has never happened so far.

Carnevil said:

Yeah, all the music is from him. You're talking about Wrack & Roll though, right? The song used at the title screen and in the trailer? I love it!

No I mean the one for the intermission/loading screens that's all bum-bum-bum-buuummm-bum-bum-bum-buuummm. I love it.

Avoozl said:

Looks good but what drm does it use?

You have to log in to play it, kind of like Minecraft but it will remember password for you. You might have to change your password before it will let you in though, I had to.

DuckReconMajor said:

ORIGWRACK - a tribute to the first Doom wad

Built to the same metrics as the first Doom wad, ORIGWAD.

Unfortunately, I don't know how to do doors and exits yet, so after you kill everybody, you can quit :)

Sounds like I need to do another tutorial! :) But for now, right click on a face, go to "Properties", and it's the stuff in the "Action" box. From there, you can pick door, exit, etc.

Really cool stuff though! :D

DuckReconMajor said:

No I mean the one for the intermission/loading screens that's all bum-bum-bum-buuummm-bum-bum-bum-buuummm. I love it.You have to log in to play it, kind of like Minecraft but it will remember password for you. You might have to change your password before it will let you in though, I had to.

Ah! Yep, that's all him! :) That's something new he's done recently. He said that the feeling of Wrack has really started to jell for him over the past couple of weeks, and some of the more recent tracks have been really awesome, like that and the boss music (which I've basically listened to for the past two days straight). I'm very happy that it's becoming its own thing with its own style and feel.

Thanks! WrackEd is really neat, I just need to learn to do some more things.

And yeah what I'm hearing the music is more of a reminder of how awesome it is that he is onboard.

DuckReconMajor said:

Thanks! WrackEd is really neat, I just need to learn to do some more things.

If you didn't pick up on it from the tutorials, you can extract the maps from data003.zip and have a look at them. I felt kind of stupid when I realized how easy it was to have a map open to the sky.

Technician said:

Wait, Wrack has DRM?

In the same sense that these forums have DRM.

Dragonsbrethren said:

But do you need an internet connection to play Wrack?

Dragonsbrethren said:

Ah OK, it's just for the score board.

TimeOfDeath said:

But do you need an internet connection to play Wrack?

^This.