Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I tried turning off my internet just now and I was still able to play it. Don't know if there's an offline mode if you've never logged in before though.

Haha, love the Doom love here.

One of the loading screen messages are "To win the game, you must defeat me, John Ro-...wait...nevermind."

I don't want to pay for the shareware episode, but I'll wait for the full game!

Melon said:

This looks pretty sweet and is surprisingly cheap. I'd pick it up right now save for the fact that my laptop's integrated graphics chip is garbage and it's bitten me in the ass with a number of games. I'd also appreciate a demo, if only so I can figure out whether or not the game will actually run on my machine.

I've tested Wrack on multiple computers with integrated cards - my laptop has an integrated card - and it runs fine. You may have to turn down a few of the video features but they don't effect the game at all - a breath of fresh air these days if I say so myself - but unless there's a whole lot of shit going on at once, you're not even going to see many framerate drops, if any. I did a playtrhough of the preorder release yesterday and I had exactly one drop in framerate prior to a boss battle. A few seconds later I triggered the boss and it was gone.

EDIT: Also, I fucking love this game. It has completely restored my desire to map. And I've been so bored with shooters these days that I went back to platformers. This is the reason my COD Elite subscription is going to waste.

I think paying 10 dollars for just 3 playable levels is asking a bit too much. That's demo-length, not even shareware length. Asking money for it is kinda dumb. I'd be willing to pay even 15 dollars for the full game, but I'd recommend just releasing the current version for free if it's that short.

Johnatone said:

I've tested Wrack on multiple computers with integrated cards - my laptop has an integrated card - and it runs fine. You may have to turn down a few of the video features but they don't effect the game at all - a breath of fresh air these days if I say so myself - but unless there's a whole lot of shit going on at once, you're not even going to see many framerate drops, if any. I did a playtrhough of the preorder release yesterday and I had exactly one drop in framerate prior to a boss battle. A few seconds later I triggered the boss and it was gone.

I'm on a ThinkPad T61P (with 4GB RAM) and I have to turn all the settings down and play at 640x480 to keep constant framerate.

EarthQuake said:

If I buy, will you sign my copy?

Yes, I will scribble my name across all the 1's and 0's that come your way electronically :P

Um, important question; if we preorder do we actually get access to the full game?
Yeah alright everyone's probably thinking who is this idiot and why is he asking such a stupid question, but here's a little something from the pre-order page:

By pre-ordering the first episode of Wrack, instead of getting it when it's complete, [etc]

I'm assuming that's just some poor phrasing but if not, what the hell?

Lance MDR Rocket said:

Um, important question; if we preorder do we actually get access to the full game?
Yeah alright everyone's probably thinking who is this idiot and why is he asking such a stupid question, but here's a little something from the pre-order page:

I'm assuming that's just some poor phrasing but if not, what the hell?

Sorry, I'll take a look at that.

You're pre-ordering the first episode basically. What I was trying to say is that instead of paying now and not getting the thing until it's completed, you get access to what we have done right now (plus the editor and all that good stuff). Plus, as we complete more of it, you'll get that too. We'll try to get updates out every week or so.

From what I read on the Wrack forums it's like this?

Everyone who just paid $10 will have to pay for the other two episodes later
Later there will be a way to buy all three episodes.

Will the people who pre-ordered at least get a sizable discount?

Thanks Carn.
Could you chuck up some more relevant info on the About page too please? Just stuff like the fact the game's episodic and how each episode is intended to be released (ie. shareware/full game, one episode at a time, etc.) and all that sort of thing. I think this stuff's important and there isn't really anything on the main page (well, not that I've seen; I only checked the obvious places though).

Anyway I'm going to go buy this now.

Carnevil said:

Yes, I will scribble my name across all the 1's and 0's that come your way electronically :P

Excellent. :D

Lance MDR Rocket said:

Thanks Carn.
Could you chuck up some more relevant info on the About page too please? Just stuff like the fact the game's episodic and how each episode is intended to be released (ie. shareware/full game, one episode at a time, etc.) and all that sort of thing. I think this stuff's important and there isn't really anything on the main page (well, not that I've seen; I only checked the obvious places though).

Anyway I'm going to go buy this now.

Yes, that's a good idea. I'll see what I can do as far as getting some more information up there. At the very least the FAQ page should have something.

Also, thanks so much! :) I really hope you enjoy it. I think you will :)

DuckReconMajor said:

Will the people who pre-ordered at least get a sizable discount?

Well, they get a discount on the first episode. Going forward though things should be the same price for everyone. Plus, if you pay full price for the first episode (aka you don't get it during the pre-order phase), getting the second episode as DLC should cost the same as buying the two episodes bundled together. People shouldn't get screwed for buying the game early or late.

DuckReconMajor said:

I'm on a ThinkPad T61P (with 4GB RAM) and I have to turn all the settings down and play at 640x480 to keep constant framerate.

I stand corrected. Although I'll be honest, a couple of the laptops I used surprised me with their integrated cards. Sorry about being too presumtious on my end. I hope it isn't ruining the game for you. I need to start a thread in the Wrack forums for Carn so he can get a good range of how Wrack performs. For instance, I couldn't get my parent's desktop to work with its integrated card because it was 1) too old and 2) I was missing a shitload of drivers, and they're in the country with a 22kbps connection, so I never bothered with that one.

Well, it's a 2008 business laptop (with a workstation card) so it's not going to be a gaming monster. But it runs Doom and Quake source ports just fine, I can run pretty much every Valve Source game I've played just fine. The only game I've had an issue with is Minecraft, which is known to have integrated card issues.

Carnevil said:

Well, they get a discount on the first episode. Going forward though things should be the same price for everyone. Plus, if you pay full price for the first episode (aka you don't get it during the pre-order phase), getting the second episode as DLC should cost the same as buying the two episodes bundled together. People shouldn't get screwed for buying the game early or late.

If you don't mind me asking, how much do you plan on charging for the full game? The preorder page says we save 33% on the full episode, so that's $15 for E1 alone. I think you'd be shooting yourself in the foot if you charged too much for the other episodes.

Dragonsbrethren said:

If you don't mind me asking, how much do you plan on charging for the full game? The preorder page says we save 33% on the full episode, so that's $15 for E1 alone. I think you'd be shooting yourself in the foot if you charged too much for the other episodes.

$842. Too much?

Yeah, E1 will probably be $14.99. So by pre-ordering it, you're saving a good chunk (and of course, getting to play it early, getting updates, getting custom maps and mods... all that good stuff). The full game probably won't be as much per-episode.

So, perhaps 25 bucks when all is said in done?

Otherwise, Doom mappers might start making Wrack maps, making more content, of equal quality for free, leaving you with how much they paid for the game. I'd get the price to a fair, reasonable amount early on.

Platinum Shell said:

So, perhaps 25 bucks when all is said in done?

Otherwise, Doom mappers might start making Wrack maps, making more content, of equal quality for free, leaving you with how much they paid for the game. I'd get the price to a fair, reasonable amount early on.

Well, the later maps and episodes are going to be a lot more than "Here's a new texture set with a bunch of more-of-the-same maps guys!". Each pair of maps introduces a new theme and texture set, along with new gameplay mechanics. E1M2/3 are largely about damaging floors, whereas E1M4/5 involve conveyor belts and crushing walls and ceilings. Each time you get to a new area, you're getting a new experience. Episode 2 in particular has a fairly overarching gameplay mechanic which I think makes the episode super unique and fun.

So... I mean, I'm thinking more than $25. Not only is there going to be a lot of new stuff too, but things will probably have higher production values than everything does now (hell, we'll still trying to improve the "finished" things!). We're trying to give you all a quality product here and a lot of bang for your buck.

at first i was thinking that all seemed too expensive, but...

considering the quality of the game, the potential for longevity, and the fact that i'd probably get more out of this game than i would some new ps3 game i would usually pay $60 for, dropping some more cash on this sounds worth it, so long as the quality is still high.

plus, come on, bobby prince

Tango said:

at first i was thinking that all seemed too expensive, but...

considering the quality of the game, the potential for longevity, and the fact that i'd probably get more out of this game than i would some new ps3 game i would usually pay $60 for, dropping some more cash on this sounds worth it, so long as the quality is still high.

plus, come on, bobby prince

Have you started playing/mapping yet? How is it so far?

I cant seem to pre-order the game. Is there any other website I can buy it from other than the one included, keeps just saying my address is invalid but if it's a downloadable copy does it really need my address (It is correct) :(

Fluffles said:

I cant seem to pre-order the game. Is there any other website I can buy it from other than the one included, keeps just saying my address is invalid but if it's a downloadable copy does it really need my address (It is correct) :(

It's probably just asking you that to verify your credit card information. If it doesn't match up, it might think there's fraud involved (which I don't think is the case here). So, I'd try to match the address you're putting in with what the credit card company thinks it is as much as possible. Same goes for trying Paypal, I think.

Let me know if it continues. Sorry about that :\