Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Yeah, this is good stuff. I did some whinging on the forums about the things I didn't like, but I'm glad I bought it.

Anyway, Carn, if I were you I wouldn't push for too much more than $25; while you're going to be delivering more content than your average AAA game, you're not competing with them, you're competing with other indies and $25 is already on the expensive side in that context (also, well out of the 'impulse buy' range. You can make a lot of money by targeting impulse buyers - well, assuming you can get some publicity for the game. Have you submitted anything to Rock Paper Shotgun etc.?).

edit: oh right, I used a fake address on the order page when I ordered and it worked OK. I used PayPal.

edit2: eh, I went ahead and mailed RPS and let them know it's been released. I see they've written about it before so I assumed that's OK.

Carnevil said:

So... I mean, I'm thinking more than $25. Not only is there going to be a lot of new stuff too, but things will probably have higher production values than everything does now (hell, we'll still trying to improve the "finished" things!). We're trying to give you all a quality product here and a lot of bang for your buck.

Inb4 75 % off on Steam.

Well, regardless of pricing ect ect, I'll happily pay whatever just to support my fellow doomer in this, his endeavor for total game industry domination.

That and the game so far is pretty damn cool.

Now to figure out this damn editor...

...and find my microphone.

I pre-ordered Wrack yesterday afternoon, but I still haven't been emailed the "order information" or any access to the game. How long is this supposed to take?

Processingcontrol said:

I pre-ordered Wrack yesterday afternoon, but I still haven't been emailed the "order information" or any access to the game. How long is this supposed to take?

It's supposed to be instant. It might be in your spam folder, but a couple people it just hasn't been sent to and I've had to re-send it. What's your email address?

EDIT: Actually, I think I see what happened. I've had a new registration email sent!

BilboHicks said:

looks cool, any plans for co-op in the future?

Yes, in the future! ... so far in the future that it will have to be after Wrack is completed! More here:

http://www.wrackgame.com/FAQ

@Processingcontrol: How are you liking it so far!

@sgtcrispy: What would the mic be for? Going to do a LP or something? :D

Carnevil said:

@sgtcrispy: What would the mic be for? Going to do a LP or something? :D

Rendering part 1 now and will upload when completed. I've never put something on youtube before, so hopefully it works out.
I'll add a link when it's ready to go.

EDIT: Here you go! http://youtu.be/fxN7BgHDWcQ

my girlfriend lent me her new laptop for the night, so i was able to finally sit down and play it.

it's certainly fun and very fluid. it wasn't till after playing that i looked at the replays and realized how the chain system works. i think i'll have the most fun with that. keeping huge chains is an awesome feeling in a game (part of why i loved NiGHTS so much), and i really can't wait to try making my own stuff and making records and all that.

when i get the time i'll probably try learning the editor first by recreating my PL2 map or something simple like that.

on that note, though, i will say the levels are very Carn-like, which is sometimes good and bad. i really loved a lot of the default Skulltag maps you made, and Wart 3 had some really neat moments iirc, but at times i think the maps suffer from being too... flat and dense. not because i think you're a poor mapper or anything like that, but i think that the maps are a lot like some of Spork's earlier maps. mostly level, any height differences are usually minor, rooms are all very consistent looking (sometimes good, sometimes bad), cleanly put together.

in the thread you made in blogs a while ago, i think people started drawing comparisons with Doom's E1M1, which i still think are fair. after myself going through so many phases in my mapping "evolution", i've come to really admire the freeform style of maps like E1M1. not always, but a lot of the time, not using 90 or 45 degree angles makes things more interesting. simple variety even just in hallways can make things a lot more interesting imo.

that being said, if you can manage to make maps that will wow even the Doom community (because i trust their/our judgment more than just about any other gaming community's), then you'll have a lot of success.

the game seems like it's coming along really well on the whole, though. i liked the Contra-esque robot boss in E1M1 (heh), and the chain system seems addicting.

Carnevil said:

@Processingcontrol: How are you liking it so far!

Pretty awesome stuff.

Still a few annoyances:
-I didn't really understand the life system. Are you supposed to keep your weapons after you die? Because that doesn't really make any sense.
-Every time I died without making any progress on a level, I had to repeatedly kill myself until I lost all my lives, in order to maximize my number of lives on the next attempt. To eliminate the need for this I think there should be some option in the menu to reload the last autosave without having the exit the level and wait for it to reload.
-A map would be helpful.

Oh my, I do believe I've neglected this thread! My apologies!

@Tango: Yep, they're my maps alright! :P I think they've improved a lot and continue to. Later on when you get some weapons that are actually good at a distance (aside from the pistol), the maps open up a bit more.

Anyway, I want to see what *you* can do! Certainly people are capable of creating maps better than what I've currently got going on in Wrack. I'd like to play some of those! :P I'd like to get that "Featured Maps" section going!

Processingcontrol said:

Pretty awesome stuff.

Still a few annoyances:
-I didn't really understand the life system. Are you supposed to keep your weapons after you die? Because that doesn't really make any sense.
-Every time I died without making any progress on a level, I had to repeatedly kill myself until I lost all my lives, in order to maximize my number of lives on the next attempt. To eliminate the need for this I think there should be some option in the menu to reload the last autosave without having the exit the level and wait for it to reload.
-A map would be helpful.

Thanks! :D

Hm, you really shouldn't be so strapped for lives that you have to do something that dramatic! The levels and boss fights are designed so that you can easily learn from your mistakes and do much better the next time. If you really need all 3 extra lives to complete a level... maybe try on a lower difficulty.

I paid my money to download this Wrack pre-order, but it never downloaded.Every time I try the page, all I get is buy now. I won't shell out more money for it. I feel cheated. Has this happened to anyone else? Any suggestions?Thanks in advance!

I'm not seeing any contact info on the Wrack homepage, but maybe their forum would be the best place to make a complaint.

You're not giving a lot of information to work with. If you preordered the game, I believe you should have received an email with your login and password, and a link pointing to http://www.wrackgame.com/download/ where you can log in and download the game. If that doesn't work, as mentioned the Wrack forums are a much better place to ask for help with Wrack.

You could just ask Carn. He's a rather reasonable and nice individual. He'd have no reason to rip you off, it's likely just an error somewhere either on your computer or the download servers.

grouchbag said:

I paid my money to download this Wrack pre-order, but it never downloaded.Every time I try the page, all I get is buy now. I won't shell out more money for it. I feel cheated. Has this happened to anyone else? Any suggestions?Thanks in advance!

Sorry about that! You should have gotten a couple of emails - one from FastSpring (the online store that handles the sale of Wrack) confirming your purchase, and one from accounts@wrackgame.com which has links to either register or gift your account. If any of those didn't show up, they may have ended up in your spam folder. You might want to check there.

Feel free to hit me up though at bmc431@gmail.com. These forums probably aren't the best place to do this :)

(Also, I'm going to put a contact link at the bottom of wrackgame.com right now!)

Couldn't find the WRACK thread, so this canbe moved if need be. Heard from the WRACK Team, and they will let me download! If any one of you guys helped, then thanks. Tried to send them back a reply to say thankyou, but the weather is pretty bad here. Will try to get in touch with them again later. It's also nice to know they are honest.

New idea for the wrack editor:

If you freedraw something (as in, not in a constant clockwise or counterclockwise direction), it's created and filled in with some bright color. You can then right click and select whether to make the room an "in space" (a self-contained space) or an "out-space" (a bridge or a crate).

Hi! I finally got Wrack, but it won't play. A missing dllx86 9 or something. Help please? Also tried to join Wrack forums. Who am I supposed to say referred me? Everything I tried failed. I'm really getting tired of bugging the crap out of all you nice Doomers out there. Thanks for all your help again.

Thanks, Carnevil! Downloaded, and it works! Thankssomuch for all your help. I'm saving it to play later tonight when it's quiet. I had planned to order the full game anyway as well, because I already know I'lllike it. KUDOS TO YOU, KIND SIR!!!

Just wanted to let you guys know that we've got a big new update out! This one's got the next map - E1M4! It's got its own texture theme, music, gameplay mechanics... the whole nine yards! Here's what it looks like:

You can read more about it here. There are some other interesting tidbits there as well ;)

The color choices are always a little cooler with every update :)

Yes that's more like it. Wrack desperately needed color.