Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DooM_RO

Black Mesa Source footage here!

Come 'n' get it!

EDIT: I should probably post this too

Devs have spoken. This is from a 4-5 week old build, it is dark because of youtube compression, iron-sights will be optional (and were only for the crossbow and colt like in the MP). Voice acting is meant to sound cheesy. Music is from the game, but it's not meant to be played this loud.
Gameplay looks awesome, yo!

This info was taken from the BMS forums and then compiled by a Youtube user . Seriously, some those comments disgust me.

Why doesn't the rail electrify you?
Why didn't they just import the original voice acting?
Why are multiplayer ironsights in single-player?
Why did this take a decade to make?
Why

Same boring halls as the original map with a fairly close (from memory) recreation of the rocket setpiece. This does absolutely nothing for me beyond "oh hey it's still going". Here's to hoping there is some more interesting design in the fully fledged release. :)

Mr. Freeze said:

Why doesn't the rail electrify you?
Why did this take a decade to make?
Why

WHYYYY

I'm glad they stopped trying to "extend" it, all extra BS from the trailer that came lut years ago was lame. Looks good to me man. MP ironsights in SP are a non-issue. If you don't like them, DON'T FUCKING USE THEM!

The marines new voices were great until those two guys were having a conversation. Wow, that was really really bad. New sound shouldn't be a priority, the original game had quite neat sound design and voice acting. The new MP5 is boss tho.

Mr. T said:

I'm glad they stopped trying to "extend" it, all extra BS from the trailer that came lut years ago was lame. Looks good to me man.

Yeah, I especially LOVE the new gun sounds, they sound awesome on my headphones and that's just on Youtube. I wouldn't be surprised if Valve made this an official product offered for free.

I'm glad this is still ongoing. Props to them for not giving up on what they set out to do, a fate which has befallen many an ambitious "amateur" project like this.

Mr. Freeze said:

My guess is it's because of some legality issue which prevents them from doing so (wouldn't they need the permission of the original actors from HL? I'm not sure). Maybe it's just temporary until they get some voice actors who sound convincing.

Super pumped for this still. My favorite thing will be once someone figures out how to implement coop.

DoomUK said:

I'm glad this is still ongoing. Props to them for not giving up on what they set out to do, a fate which has befallen many an ambitious "amateur" project like this.

My guess is it's because of some legality issue which prevents them from doing so (wouldn't they need the permission of the original actors from HL? I'm not sure). Maybe it's just temporary until they get some voice actors who sound convincing.

They won't change the VAs, they said the cheesy VA was intentional.

DooM_RO said:

Huh. Well I guess I'll be playing the game with the dialogue volume turned off then. If there's even an option for that and we're not forced to listen to it. It's really quite awful and incongruous with the quality of everything else.

DoomUK said:

But that makes no sense considering that BM: Source is a free mod. If that were the case, every mod ever could be in legal trouble for using original sound files...including Doom WADs.

DooM_RO said:

Good thing intentionally being shitty makes things less shitty oh wait

DoomUK said:

Huh. Well I guess I'll be playing the game with the dialogue volume turned off then. If there's even an option for that and we're not forced to listen to it. It's really quite awful and incongruous with the quality of everything else.

To be honest, only that particular conversation was "bad", the marines before that were pretty good. I know people have incredibly high expectations because of how long it's been in development and because they really want it to replace HL1 but in the end it's still just a mod.

For the most part my expectations were met - there were exceeded in fact, the only other FPS mod of this caliber I could think of is Phobos

DooM_RO said:

they really want it to replace HL1 but in the end it's still just a mod.

I wouldn't mind if it's better to that extent. HL1 was overrated; it's just a mediocre-to-decent game that's worth playing through only once. I've attempted a few times to replay it but I get bored pretty quickly into the re-playthroughs.

I've thought it would be cool if Black Mesa actually gets finished, but I've never been sure whether it'll actually be worth playing through the whole game again.

DooM_RO said:

There's a difference between having cheesy VO versus having shitty VO.

Since when was there ironsights in multiplayer?

DoomUK said:

They would have to pay the voice actors to use there work from the original game. Typicality such is the case for an actors voice work, likeness, ect. Even if the company or in this case mod team has been given full use of a copyrighted property. Due to the fact that they would be taking the voice samples from one game and using them in a new one (even if this is a mod)the actors could turn around a sue the mod team for "stealing" there voice work. I know that such things can seems confusing at times so I'll provide another example:

Lets say a action figure company like NECA bought the rights to produce a line of figures from the Aliens movies from Fox, the film studio that owns the franchise. They could make as many Alien figures and use other aspects of the franchise such as making props. But, if they wanted to make a Ripley figure using the likeness of Sigourney Weaver, NECA would also have to buy the rights to use Weavers likeness from Weaver herself. Things like that can get real expensive real quick.

Why is everyone crying so much about the voice acting? It's no worse than a mediocre anime dub, and for that matter the original's voice acting wasn't top notch either. "They are waiting for you, Gordon. In the test chamberrrrrrr"

Also they probably don't include the original sound files because they'd either have to pay royalties or be forced to require HL:Source for the mod.

The soldiers don't sound convincing enough for me. These guys in Black Mesa Source sound weak and timid (at least when they were yelling "Goddammit!" and "Get Freeman!") whereas the soldiers in Half-Life and HL:Opposing Forces sounded like battle-hardened marines. Yes, they had cheesy lines in both games, but they were still able to carry that rough, battle-hardened tone.

The HECU conversation sounds exactly like a mediocre anime dub (ie. most anime dubs). Seems like they wanted that. They're crazy. Nothing should sound like dubbed anime. Meh. If players hate it enough there will be a mod.

Raminator from black mesa team said:

Why is the voice acting so bad?

Everything is intentional; the soldiers are meant to sound like over-the-top movie bad guys. We're not interested in trying to get you to empathise with the enemies.

This is terrible reasoning that will only lead to disney logic. The bad guy has a scar. The henchmen are idiots. Etc. Lowering the quality of the production in order to NOT make the player like them is retarded. Give the player a real reason to hate them. You know, like murdering all your scientist friends and going after you level after level.

Other than that, I like it. I'm a long-time admirer of their work and how they're not just doing a worthless, superfluous HD remake.

Ralphis said:

Super pumped for this still. My favorite thing will be once someone figures out how to implement coop.

Good luck with that. My brother had Half-Life for the PS2 which came with a cooperative mini-episode or some shit called Decay. The way it worked was that if one of the two of you dies, you restart the whole mission together. It's vital that both of you remain alive throughout the entire thing. You can imagine how frustrating and unenjoyable that shit was with all the instant death bullshit by bottomless pits, lightning bolts, fan blades, and other weird shit. Coupled with all the bugs of the engine like accidentally bouncing off of ladders and getting your pant legs caught on weird corners as you're trying to scale up a 100-story elevator shaft made the experience really fucking boring. The PS2's controls weren't really ideal for this and was part of the problem though.

EDIT: also video just went unavailable within the last 120 seconds.

40oz said:

Good luck with that. My brother had Half-Life for the PS2 which came with a cooperative mini-episode or some shit called Decay. The way it worked was that if one of the two of you dies, you restart the whole mission together. It's vital that both of you remain alive throughout the entire thing. You can imagine how frustrating and unenjoyable that shit was with all the instant death bullshit by bottomless pits, lightning bolts, fan blades, and other weird shit. Coupled with all the bugs of the engine like accidentally bouncing off of ladders and getting your pant legs caught on weird corners as you're trying to scale up a 100-story elevator shaft made the experience really fucking boring. The PS2's controls weren't really ideal for this and was part of the problem though.

Sven-Coop did it just fine bro

40oz said:

Yup

Looks like he is one of their mappers, going by the handle "raminator".

EDIT: He is their lead level designer

I also don't know why it's taken a decade to get this far, or why they thought it was a good idea to release NO works in progress this whole time. I know it's all "NYERRRRR OUR PRODUCT IS PRECIOUS AND WE ONLY ACCEPT PERFECTION NO ONE MUST SEE IT UNTIL IT IS 101% COMPLETE" but Jesus, people. Just put out one or two fucking maps. You know, generate some interest. Keep your project from going stagnant. Is any of this making sense?

Shaviro said:

This is terrible reasoning that will only lead to disney logic. The bad guy has a scar. The henchmen are idiots. Etc. Lowering the quality of the production in order to NOT make the player like them is retarded. Give the player a real reason to hate them. You know, like murdering all your scientist friends and going after you level after level.

Other than that, I like it. I'm a long-time admirer of their work and how they're not just doing a worthless, superfluous HD remake.

Exactly. They didn't even do a good job of movie bad guys. What they were supposed to be going for there was a couple of dumb grunts and instead they got what sounds like villains from a very low-budget cartoon or a Japanese video game.

Bucket said:

I also don't know why it's taken a decade to get this far, or why they thought it was a good idea to release NO works in progress this whole time. I know it's all "NYERRRRR OUR PRODUCT IS PRECIOUS AND WE ONLY ACCEPT PERFECTION NO ONE MUST SEE IT UNTIL IT IS 101% COMPLETE" but Jesus, people. Just put out one or two fucking maps. You know, generate some interest. Keep your project from going stagnant. Is any of this making sense?

What about when people do this sort of thing and it totally backfires and kills any anticipation for the project? It's a double edged sword: release something small, fail to impress and lose a lot of interest OR keep everything secret with sporadic teasers while you try to polish, but lose interest over the sheer amount of time it takes to finish what you're working on. I've seen both of these things happen to different internet projects over the years, and it isn't difficult to understand their hesitations (especially with such a large undertaking).

Ralphis said:

What about when people do this sort of thing and it totally backfires and kills any anticipation for the project?

I can't think of any examples. Can you?
Maybe that means it wasn't a good project to begin with.

Bucket said:

I can't think of any examples. Can you?
Maybe that means it wasn't a good project to begin with.

Yea, a project very dear to me, Odamex.