Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tristan

Modern Games that you do like?

As I often go over Youtube, be it listening to Doom Music, watching Doom Demons, or even the Call of DOOty mod , I see many comments that are negative attitude to modern games, particularly MW and Battlefield.

So it got me wondering, are all modern games seen this way, or are there some that people do like?

Personally, I find Medal of Hono(u)r: Airborne one of the greatest games I have ever played (guess the others).

So, do you like any modern games?

I just bought Alice: Madness Returns and I have to say that Im really enjoying it. The atmosphere is really nice, and the gameplays pretty good, IMO. But then again, I dont have anything against newer games.

Don't forget this one:

Olympus said:

I just bought Alice: Madness Returns and I have to say that Im really enjoying it. The atmosphere is really nice, and the gameplays pretty good, IMO.

I actually found this one quite enjoyable, too. Some of the levels weren't that bad, and the gameplay felt enjoyable and just varied enough to keep it interesting. Plus, I just like the art style.

I've hardly played any modern games the last few years. When I do, its with the PS3, for which I only have about ten titles, most of which I have lost interest in. The only modern game I have interest in buying would be Xenoblade. And I seldom buy games new as well, considering their prices have ramped up in the last decade.

I keep hearing good things about Madness Returns... May have to check that one out.

Although I probably play more old titles than your average gamer, I do still enjoy a lot of modern games. Off to top of my head, I've recently enjoyed:

Frozen Synapse
TF2
Deus Ex HR
Journey
Pixeljunk Shooter 2
Path of Exile
Minecraft
Terraria
Far Cry 2
Crysis 2
Mega Man 9
Skyrim

I've been thinking into what makes MOH: Airborne better than most other games.

With Modern Warfare (et al), the storyline was fictitious
Airborne was entirely on fact, and yes while there were cutscenes that disrupted gameplay, you could actually start the level wherever the hell you liked (even though there were actual markers you're supposed to go to, but that was only so you didn't get piled instantly) and from there, you could choose the order that you did the objectives in. Can't be bad, eh?

Most modern games are pretty good. There are definitely elements I don't like, but usually when I see comments like you describe, I just assume those people haven't even touched the games they complain about. "Modern" doesn't even mean recently released, it just refers to certain mechanics. And that's stupid.

The only game I've played recently that fits their twisted modern description is Deus Ex: Human Revolution. It has modern shooting, melee and health mechanics. I could've done without the regenerating health, but the weapon mechanics were a lot more fun than those in the original Deus Ex.

Oh, and I played the GoldenEye: Reloaded demo (and the Wii version not too long after it came out). That was fun. I think my status as a GoldenEye fan requires me to hate it, but honestly, the gunplay changes fit GoldenEye perfectly and I'm sure that's how the original devs would've done things if they game was released today. It's a shame the level design sucked outside of the Dam (which is a pure nostalgia trip; I wish the entire game had been done that way).

That makes it sound like I don't play many new games, but I do. They just can't fit into this particular "modern" definition, despite being released in the past couple years.

A few good new games are. Legend of Grimrock, Inversion 2, Lost Planet 2 (great Coop), Skyrim, Bastion, Cogs, Renegade Ops, Magicka, Dead Island (don't care what anyone says, I have a lot of fun smashing zombies heads in with a paddle, plus it's coop.)

Aldaraia said:

And I seldom buy games new as well, considering their prices have ramped up in the last decade.

Ramped up from what? I keep hearing NES games were $50-$60 when they were new (I was too young to be concerned about prices when they were out). I seem to recall some N64 games going higher than that. Even PC games were just as expensive. Wolfenstein 3D was $50 according to the read this.

What has gone up a bit is used game prices, and I'm sure that's mostly because the Internet is popular now. (More ebay users, etc)

Minecraft, Dungeons of Dredmor, Torchlight. Not that Dredmor is a particularly new concept, it's just a new interface to the classic roguelike.

I'm so excited for Torchlight 2, my gf and I have pre-ordered it so we can get our multiplayer on. A few friends have also joined in, mostly ones who were excited about D3 but found it sucked.

The Portal series are brilliant, HL2 is a lot of fun, though tedious in some parts (the vehiches).

I really like Spiderweb Software's Avernum, Avadon and Geneforge games. I have been playing these since they were shitty Windown 3.1 256-color RPGs called Exile. Avernum is just a remake of Exile, but the rest of the games are all new content. The author has an amazing nack for making political struggle interesting and really immersing you in a seemingly hopeless world. They are gritty melancholy games.

I liked Shadowgrounds. I think that's the 21st century's answer to Doom. They even have level editors. I'm sad they are not more popular.

Trine was good, it's like a cross between the Metroid-like Castlevanias (SoTN, AoS, DoS) and The Lost Vikings.

Scribblenauts and its sequel were great fun on the DS. You can solve puzzles - and fail at solving puzzles - in some of the most hilarious ways.

Sadly I think most new games are crap that I'm not interested in. I've played Modern Warfare and whatever, wouldn't play again.

Extremely strangely, I just never got into Deus Ex. It's got plenty of ingredients that I love but the final product seems limiting and linear. I was disappointed in it then, and I remain so today.

This thread reminded me of how much of my ~200 game Steam library I haven't even had the chance to touch yet. I'm too busy playing shitty 16-bit console games.

Saints Row 3 was an absolute riot. Exactly how, back when the very first GTA was released, I envisioned video games would turn out to be in the future. Starts with a bang and doesn't ever let go, sheer absurdity all the way through.

Seconded on SRTT, even though my first playthrough lasted 3 days. Also the Portal games.

Just on the subject of prices, new games for PS3/360 are around the £40-£50 mark over here. Back when games came on carts, new Mega Drive/SNES games were around £40-£50 with some games like SF2 and hardware-enhanced games like Starfox and Virtua Racing costing upwards of £60, so games have effectively got a LOT cheaper over the last 20 years. Still too fucking expensive, though.

The ones I play the most right now:

DayZ
Europa Universalis III
Tribes Ascend
Dungeons of Dredmor

There are a ton of good games out there nowadays though. I think the guys who are all down about "games these days" are thinking of the Activision/EA churned out cash cows that release yearly or bi-yearly on a set schedule to milk the 12 year old to frat boy demographic of their regular $60.

Yeah that DoD is just a roguelike with pretty graphics. You could say the same about POWDER, Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup (with tiles) or other recent roguelike game. Some even (can) use 3D graphics and sound...

Phml said:

Saints Row 3 was an absolute riot. Exactly how, back when the very first GTA was released, I envisioned video games would turn out to be in the future. Starts with a bang and doesn't ever let go, sheer absurdity all the way through.

I've always loved the Saints Row series, but the third instalment was missing my favourite diversion from the second instalment: Dynamic taxi missions!

I absolutely adored driving around, trying to be a good citizen; getting my customers to their desired locations on time. Then some motherhating, snake-in-the-grass, turncoat, Jehu cabby would pull up and try to steal my fare?! Nonono, that's when the he tastes gat spit.

Then it was all downhill (read: wildly entertaining), as I tried to bus my fares with cops in tow.

Anyway, yeah, so 'modern' games can be pretty fun.

Hmm, my list would be around:

Portal 1/2
Skyrim
Dead Space 1/2
Kirby (I actually think that this is an excellent platformer, albeit a bit easy)

Oh, and SF/SC

Shaikoten said:

I think the guys who are all down about "games these days" are thinking of the Activision/EA churned out cash cows that release yearly or bi-yearly on a set schedule to milk the 12 year old to frat boy demographic of their regular $60.

I have also held this opinion for a while now.

I didn't like most games in the late 90s to mid-00s because the focus was on multiplayer and graphics more than gameplay. There were definitely some gems during this era (HL, GoldenEye, AvP, the Castlevanias) but they were diamonds in a very large rough.

I think the last few years have seen "gamers" split into two groups - the aforementioned child/frat gamer who thinks they are a nerd because they spend more than 30 minutes straight on Xbox Live, and actual gamers who are rebelling against EA shovelware and against piracy, which has allowed "indie" developers with fresh takes on early-90s gameplay, and concepts like Steam and the Humble Bundles to become successful.

Indie means a different thing these days though. Independent used to be just that, one or two guys at home making a game very slowly which usually only ever reached a niche audience (Jeff Vogel's Exile series or Kornel's DoomRL for example). Now "indie" basically means "anyone who hasn't been bought and killed by EA/Rockstar and sought refuge at Valve yet".

Personally, I hate all the modern FPS games starting from year 2000 and up, because they were built with a different focus in mind. They focus on strategic planning rather than trigger-happiness.
A gaming session of Call of Duty feels like a fucking chess match against a gross meister rather than as a bloodbath.
Hence why I hate it with a strong burning passion, and hence why I've decided to keep my game-design activity as a hobby rather than earning a degree in the industry. Because I just know that they would only be teaching me to make games which I hate, and if I make the ones which I like then the market won't buy them.

yukib1t said:

Don't forget this one:
vid

Isn't there a letter somewhere where an old time doommer bitches and moans about how Quake's realism was killing first person shooters?

Whoops found it

So basically:
Quake's ruining first person shooter -> Half Life's ruining first person shooters -> Halo's ruining first person shooters -> Call of Duty is ruining first person shooters

DayZ

I'd personally find it a bit more enjoyable if there were more people I could trust. Seems like everyone I run in to just tries to stab me in the back the first chance they get.

Also just finished the 3rd episode of the walking dead game

Spoiler

I cried

- Call of Duty
- Demons/ Dark Souls
- Deus Ex: Human Revolution
- Skyrim
- Fallout 3/NV
- Halo

Craigs said:

Quake's ruining first person shooter -> Half Life's ruining first person shooters -> Halo's ruining first person shooters -> Call of Duty is ruining first person shooters

I didn't like Quake when it came out because of the focus on graphics. Playing it years later, I came to appreciate its level design and realise it was a good game.

Half-Life never ruined first person shooters. It was brilliant in every way.

Halo sucks though.

Going down my list of Steam games alphabetically...

-Awesomenauts
-Bastion
-Deus Ex: HR
-Dungeons of Dredmor
-Jagged Alliance: BIA
-Jamestown
-Legend of Grimrock
-Magicka
-Orcs Must Die
-Rock of Ages
-Saints Row The Third
-Terraria
-Trine series

And some other games:

-Age of Empires Online
-Torchlight 2 (to be released on Sept 20th)
-Etrian Odyssey series (on 3DS/DS, the recent 4th one is fucking amazing)
-Senran Kagura series (on 3DS)
-Melty Blood Actress Again (arcade/PC)

I'd dare to say that gaming has never been this good and varied before.

Let's see..

Minecraft
Dead Island
Dead Space
Dead Space 2
Prototype
Borderlands
FEAR
Skyrim
Red Faction: Guerrilla
Painkiller (Original, not Overdose, Recurring, Redemption or Resurrection)
Just Cause 2
Crysis
Mass Effect 2
Torchlight
Amnesia: The Dark Descent

The Witcher
The Witcher 2
The Elder Scrolls IV Oblivion
Batman Arkham City
Star Wars Empire at War Forces of Corruption
STALKER Shadow of Chernobyl
STALKER Call of Pripyat
Dragon Age Origins
Dead Space 2
Max Payne 3
Mass Effect 2
Borderlands
Red Faction Guerrilla
Enemy Territory Quake Wars

The only modern games I buy are for my young Son. I'd say the best of them are New Super Mario Bros, Donkey Kong Country Returns and Rayman Origins. All for the Wii and generally better than the platform games of my youth.