Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
xxbio Warfare11

Fellow xbox players now can use internet explorer

LOL. Internet Explorer.

The worst browser you can possible use with the most exploits and most easiest hijacked by malware or spyware.

How exactly would one clean stuff off an Xbox 360 without wiping it?

Mr. Chris said:

The worst browser you can possible use with the most exploits and most easiest hijacked by malware or spyware.

[Citation needed]

Mr. Chris said:

LOL. Internet Explorer.

normaly id agree but since this is new i doubt theres gona be much spyware or malware and things like that. besides were would you get it from besides the obvious?

Mr. Chris said:

LOL. Internet Explorer.

IE9-10 are actually OK... not that I would ever use them. LOL

Edward850 said:

You mean this? You can also use most USB keyboards.

Nice. But what about the mouse?

I use my gamepad in conjunction with Xpadder to adjust the volume of a movie or something, but navigating Windows/anything with the thumbsticks is a poor substitute for a swift mouse movement. But I guess IE for the Xbox 360 might work a little differently.

Nomad said:

[Citation needed]

The History of the Internet, 1995-2012 ;-)

xxbio Warfare11 said:

normaly id agree but since this is new i doubt theres gona be much spyware or malware and things like that. besides were would you get it from besides the obvious?

Don't worry, it will be backwards compatible with all existing spyware, malware and ActiveX controls.

Dragonsbrethren said:

When the alternative is nothing at all, I suppose it is.

Sometimes nothing can be preferable.

xxbio Warfare11 said:

Anywhere, actually. Malware is often inserted onto hacked websites.

The Xbox consoles are basically stripped down Windows PCs (with some of the security features of normal Windows removed), so presumably they might be vulnerable to the same malware that PCs are.

Ah i see. i thought viruses were a little more complex. but anyways the only websites i visit is this, youtube, goldeneye vualt, and facebook so i think ill be okay.

xxbio Warfare11 said:

Ah i see. i thought viruses were a little more complex. but anyways the only websites i visit is this, youtube, goldeneye vualt, and facebook so i think ill be okay.

Beware of Facebook. It features "apps" which have the potential to be hacked or otherwise exploited.

There is one very big reason they won't be vulnerable to all the malware PCs are: different processor architecture. XBox 360 is not an Intel machine. So, at the least, all the malware writers have gotta brush off their skills for dealing with big-endian ints and get crackin' recompiling their hax0rz.

fraggle said:

The Xbox consoles are basically stripped down Windows PCs (with some of the security features of normal Windows removed), so presumably they might be vulnerable to the same malware that PCs are.

That they run Windows is an incorrect and common misconception; no doubt the OS that does run on the Xbox is vulnerable to some attacks, but it has no real relation to Windows so the attacks would have to be uniquely for the console. (Also, security on the console OS is way turned up compared to Windows. Encrypted RAM, hypervisors, all that good stuff)

Granted, hacking an xbox is probably fairly valuable since most people have credit card payment information and other goodies stored on them.

Pity help Xbox owners if malware was ever distributed. It's not like you can fix a games console in the same way you can fix a PC, armed only with some rudimentary knowledge of how things work.

chungy said:

That they run Windows is an incorrect and common misconception; no doubt the OS that does run on the Xbox is vulnerable to some attacks, but it has no real relation to Windows so the attacks would have to be uniquely for the console. (Also, security on the console OS is way turned up compared to Windows. Encrypted RAM, hypervisors, all that good stuff)

I stand corrected! I always assumed they were just stripped down Windows machines, which might have been vaguely true (at least in terms of hardware) with the original Xbox, but I see I haven't been keeping up to date.

fraggle said:

I stand corrected! I always assumed they were just stripped down Windows machines, which might have been vaguely true (at least in terms of hardware) with the original Xbox, but I see I haven't been keeping up to date.

I believe the original was just a cut down Windows 2000, to my understanding.

They must still support a more than substantial portion of the Win32 API or IE never could have been ported to it. IE's pure COM.