New version of psx emulator is available.

Good evening.
The well-known emu "ePSXe" was updated to 1.8.0 this November 9, it contains new things:

-Many fixes to the cd-rom decoder and core that fixed almost 150 games.
-Improved input devices support.
-On the fly memory card change.
-Fixed changedisc feature.
-Support for SBI subchannel files.
-Support for PBP disc images.
-Cheat codes support.
---------------------------------------------------------------
lol...cheats!
anyway enjoy.

Share this post


Link to post

Nevermind pointless updates to an emulator which works perfectly fine, where's a PS2 emulator that isn't a headache to get working?

Share this post


Link to post
DoomUK said:

Nevermind pointless updates to an emulator which works perfectly fine, where's a PS2 emulator that isn't a headache to get working?

I've managed to get the latest version of PCSX2 up and running ust fine. The bitch is working out game compatabilities

Share this post


Link to post
Kirby said:

I've managed to get the latest version of PCSX2 up and running ust fine. The bitch is working out game compatabilities

I see there's a 1.0 release. Admittedly it's been some time since I checked up on it's status. I guess I should let bygones be bygones and give it another try.

Share this post


Link to post

The last time I tried ePSXe I found its UI to be intolerable and laden with many, many confusing design decisions, like the inability to configure controllers after you launched a game (in case you need or want to try other layouts or whatever), and video setup being a painful mess which I could never get working right with FFO despite using all recommended plugins and settings. Have they spent any time trying to make it just a tad nicer to configure, by any chance?

I liked pSX more for this reason, since it pretty much worked right out of the box minus control configuration, though I think it could have benefited from more refined settings.

Share this post


Link to post
DoomUK said:

I see there's a 1.0 release. Admittedly it's been some time since I checked up on it's status. I guess I should let bygones be bygones and give it another try.


I've tried a handful of games on 1.0 and had (mostly rendering, though one refuses to load) issues with every single one.

EDIT: Scratch that, I've had good luck with one of them (Maximo).

Share this post


Link to post

Darn, this thread title got my hopes up. I was hoping you were referring to pSX. I can't stand EPSXE, even their "software" renderer isn't 100% accurate like pSX's is, which I don't know how somebody can mess that up. Not only that, but it's unbearably slow on my laptop (even on 2D games like Megaman X4), where pSX runs at a perfect framerate.

Share this post


Link to post
Wagi said:

Darn, this thread title got my hopes up. I was hoping you were referring to pSX. I can't stand EPSXE, even their "software" renderer isn't 100% accurate like pSX's is, which I don't know how somebody can mess that up. Not only that, but it's unbearably slow on my laptop (even on 2D games like Megaman X4), where pSX runs at a perfect framerate.


my experience has been the same. also megaman x4 is amazing

Share this post


Link to post
Dragonsbrethren said:

Dammit, I thought you meant there was a new version of pSX Emulator. (Yeah, it's an awful name, but was a very promising emulator before development stopped.)


Same here. It works just fine as is, but before it went stagnant word was that the admin was working on a PS2 emulator which I was super stoked for. Of course that was probably five or six years ago now, so guess it was a pipe dream.

Share this post


Link to post
Wagi said:

Darn, this thread title got my hopes up. I was hoping you were referring to pSX. I can't stand EPSXE, even their "software" renderer isn't 100% accurate like pSX's is, which I don't know how somebody can mess that up. Not only that, but it's unbearably slow on my laptop (even on 2D games like Megaman X4), where pSX runs at a perfect framerate.

Use edgbla's plugin (gpuBladeSoft) for accurate software rendering:

http://emu-russia.net/en/files/plugins/psx/

(Mods, if that link's a problem I'll pull it down. Sorry, it's the only site I know of to get the plugin.)

Unfortunately, your second point about it being slow on your laptop probably means you won't be able to.

pSX's accuracy and "works out of the box" pluginless approach are both to be admired, but it has issues with pretty much every game I want to play in it.

Share this post


Link to post
Dragonsbrethren said:

pSX's accuracy and "works out of the box" pluginless approach are both to be admired, but it has issues with pretty much every game I want to play in it.


Really? I only ever had issue with one game, Thousand Arms, and I suspect it might have been due to the disk being scratched. If I recall I think I downloaded an ISO of it and it worked.

Share this post


Link to post

A very relevant one is Doom. No wall textures are rendered. Symphony of the Night loves locking up when going through load rooms (you can kind of make this work by opening the menu while in these rooms, but who wants to have to do that?), FF4 has issues rendering its lower tile layer, one of the MegaMan Legends games had random crashes. There were enough issues that I went back to ePSXe, even though I really preferred pSX.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now