Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
40oz

This is what I thought the Doom Movie was gonna be

THIS VIDEO IS NOT ABOUT BOOBS

Why did the Doom Movie only have that brief five-minute first person scene, when they could have done something like this that would have been a hundred times cooler?

Hoping for more boobs. But, it would be nice if the film had more of this. I think a whole film though... Eh, would be a bit annoying perhaps as it went along.

I loathe the Doom movie. Coming from me, that's saying a lot considering I've never seen it.

Is this the greatest video in the history of the internet? It's definitely in the running.

Well I managed to see it just once while I was staying at my fathers place, I thought it was okay but it could've been much better, the fps scene was okay but nothing new ever done in a movie as I remember one of the old black and white Alfred Hitchcock (I think it was him) movies did first person, the only real problem was that it was more like Doom 3 but much lesser feeling in a sense.

40oz said:

Why did the Doom Movie only have that brief five-minute first person scene, when they could have done something like this that would have been a hundred times cooler?

Because it's a gimmicky storytelling device. Honestly, it gets disorienting and a lot of people have a negative reaction to FPS-cam like that. Negative as in they get physical discomfort in someway (usually headaches). Honestly, the FPS scene in the Doom movie was boring as hell anyways. I wouldn't want more of that.

Honestly, 90 minutes of first person angles would not only be disorienting, but you'd miss out on a lot of cool set design, establishing shots, close ups, exteriors, etc. Doom the film should have been a throwback to 80s and 90s action/sci-fi/horror movies, like The Fly, Total Recall, Aliens, Event Horizon, Starship Troopers and Robocop. Those movies typically favored brutal humor, practical special effects, intense violence, strong orchestral scores and traditional camera angles that really gave you a good idea of the surrounding environment. If Doom ever gets a reboot, it would work best as a tribute to these classics and others. Event Horizon in particular has been mentioned repeatedly on here for its atmosphere and intentional vagueness concerning the ship's apparent sentience.

40oz said:

I've always thought it would be nigh impossible to make Doom an even worse movie than it was. But I think you've cracked it.

The music video reminds me of Mirror's Edge, and I already watch single-segment speedruns of that game so I'd happily watch an hour of this. It would make a good Imax feature.

That was an awesome movie!! (not the Doom movie, but the youtube clip in OP)

In work, so will have to go home later and put the speakers on :)

Sweet!

Not sure if I would have wanted the whole Doom movie like that, but this was done much better!

My biggest problem with the movie is that the story ended up being all about a virus and nothing to do with evil demons from hell - ???

Doom movie? Meh, and OK sci-fi action flick but not Doom.

That YouTube video? Excellent!

I really liked the Doom movie... I've seen it several times; I thought it was a great, B-style sci-fi movie. I also enjoyed that Karl Urban's primary motivation was saving his sister, and not something more trite, like saving his girlfriend (*yawn*). Dwayne Johnson is also entertaining as fuck in it (as he usually is), and the supporting cast was unique and interesting.

But I routinely enjoy bad or weird movies. Really, I just have a lot of respect for the creative process, even when it's somewhat misguided. It's a Hell of a lot better than I could write.

schwerpunk said:

I routinely enjoy bad or weird movies.

So do I. But Doom wasn't even a "so bad it's good" sort of experience. Had it been filmed on a budget of fifty dollars and featured the hammiest Z-grade actors out there, it might have fallen into that category and been more enjoyable as a result.

Why am I getting so uptight about a crappy sci-fi action movie that came out 8 years ago? I should go outside and play.

That video is wicked awesome. The Doom movie sucks, yeah yeah we know, it was 2005, get over it.

schwerpunk said:

I liked it so much that I bought it... :'(

My G/F recently got me Blue Ray player for my birthday and also some movies to get me started. As I have been working on Doom alot recently she got me Doom on Blue Ray.

I watched it along time ago, so guess its time to watch it again.....in high def!!!!

Either way, its something 'Doom' to add to my collection - yay

That was pretty awesome. I think they could've gotten some hella-good action scenes in the Doom Movie if they had multiple cutscenes that did this but an entire movie would make me leave probably halfway through.

Reminds me of a music video I saw a couple of years ago (and I'm wondering why I didn't post it here)

THIS VIDEO ALSO NOT ABOUT BOOBS, BUT THERE ARE BOOBS
[NSFW] http://vimeo.com/33891356 [/NSFW]

Wish they had it on youtube so I could embed, but definitely watch this one. I like the style more and I could definitely watch a short film shot like this (but not full length, god not full length)

The best part of the movie was the Earth in the Universal logo replaced with Mars. The rest was O.K. though.

The Doom movie was pretty bad, but I have to admit, I actually liked the Rock's role in it. The plot was pretty far from the video game. I dislike how they refereed to the imps as aliens, and not demons.

Kontra Kommando said:

The Doom movie was pretty bad, but I have to admit, I actually liked the Rock's role in it. The plot was pretty far from the video game. I dislike how they refereed to the imps as aliens, and not demons.

That stuck in my craw as well (also, the fact the movie was set on Mars itself). But then I got to thinking, if demons from Hell ever did attack an Earth facility wouldn't we also label them as aliens? I mean, the alternative is almost unthinkable.

schwerpunk said:

That stuck in my craw as well (also, the fact the movie was set on Mars itself). But then I got to thinking, if demons from Hell ever did attack an Earth facility wouldn't we also label them as aliens? I mean, the alternative is almost unthinkable.

True, that's probably how I would rationalize it.

First of all that was fucking awesome.

Second of all it would make people sick to see 90 minutes of it.

Third.... I thought the Doom movie would have more chainsaw and less characters, but you can't really have a movie without victims.

imo, the perfect doom movie would have been a cross between the Running Man, the original Evil Dead, and Aliens. But then again, that's was the influence for the game itself.

Idk how Hollywood works. Great movies, that spawned a great game, that spawned a shitty movie.

If DOOM was suddenly partnered or owned by Sony, you'd have a new Doom movie every 2 years.

Nah, just make it profitable to keep making more.

Doom movie supposedly lost $5 million from what it cost. I'm not sure if First person would have saved it. Resident evil gained $77 million compared to what the budget was.

DOOM had twice the budget (supposedly $60 mil vs $30 mil of RE).

What went wrong for Doom? Both movies had people turning into things and zombies with a squad sent to investigate things. They're the same movie pretty much. Well one has a chick protagonist.

At Rotten Tomatoes its Doom's 19% vs Resident Evil's 34%

But does that mean people like Resident Evil more? Was it a better movie? Or do people just like the hot chick lead?

geo said:

Nah, just make it profitable to keep making more.

Doom movie supposedly lost $5 million from what it cost. I'm not sure if First person would have saved it. Resident evil gained $77 million compared to what the budget was.

DOOM had twice the budget (supposedly $60 mil vs $30 mil of RE).

What went wrong for Doom? Both movies had people turning into things and zombies with a squad sent to investigate things. They're the same movie pretty much. Well one has a chick protagonist.

At Rotten Tomatoes its Doom's 19% vs Resident Evil's 34%

But does that mean people like Resident Evil more? Was it a better movie? Or do people just like the hot chick lead?

Milla Jovovich is pretty hot, I liked how she looked at the end when she was on that lab table.