• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Vermil

Wolfenstein: The New Order annouced

A new Wolfenstein has been announced:

Wolfenstein: The New Order.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZfjNypZYno

I have to admit, that while the trailer is well produced, it doesn't feel Wolf like.

It's also interesting that ID seem relegated to the copyright at the end, simply as owners of the Wolfenstein name.

Awesome, I hope it doesn't suffer the pitfalls of Wolfenstein. Kinda reminds me of Terminator.

To be completely honest, I thought this was going to be Prey 2. I'm happy they took the franchise in this direction, the WW2 settings are even more stale than modern combat scenarios and since we're talkin about Wolfenstein, the plot always fits in, no matter how silly. Now we only need a gameplay trailer.

I really like this, the plot is very 1990-ish. "Nazis find time machine and gets technology from the future". Goofy and not too serious, just as it should be.

Nazis with Robots? Alright, I'll bite. I want a new Wolfenstein game. Though I'm still waiting for three armed mutants to return. Did Wolf2k9 have them? I only played the demo for that actually...

I saw it on the official twitter and was surprised. Never heard any romor about it despite what an article mentioned.
This trailer shows nothing about the game though, only terminator-like robots. I'll wait for more details before drawing any conclusions.

DoomUK said:

Raven have nothing to do with it. So it might be cool.

I actually like Raven, but they had better games in the past, just like iD.

PS:

Clonehunter said:

Nazis with Robots? Alright, I'll bite. I want a new Wolfenstein game. Though I'm still waiting for three armed mutants to return. Did Wolf2k9 have them? I only played the demo for that actually...

Unfortunately not. I expected something like that on RTCW. =P
There's other kinds of super-soldiers though, like the black-sun assassins or whatever they are called.

When I saw the trailer for the last new Wolf game, I didn't think it looked very 'Wolf like'. But once it came out, I really liked it and it fitted into the series well.

But yes, robots are definitely a change of pace from the various armoured super soliders and Mutants of past Wolf games.

The only thing which will stop me from buying that game when it comes out is the drm, I think it's obvious which drm it will use.

LkMax said:

As far as I'm concerned, they never redeemed themselves for Quake 4 and Wolf 2009. They'd have to try much harder than Singularity.

LkMax said:

Half of the Heretic/Hexen era team went away when Activision bought Raven, and they formed Humanhead Studio instead.

I like the company for its history, when they used to make weird heroic fantasy games like Black Crypt, Shadowcaster, Heretic, etc.; but I have no hope for what they'll do now that they are basically nothing more than Activision's Call of Duty mapping sweatshop.

This does look pretty decent!

Shame its going to be on xbox and other consoles, means it will have many limitations, not much in terms of advancements to whats already out, large over the top fonts and hud design (because its designed to be seen on a TV from far back), no physics or at least very limited, dumb AI, low res textures and many repeated assets, along with the game being split into two segments (so the disks can be swapped on consoles). Lighting effects will also be very limited with static shadows. Finally any awesome bits in the game can only be seen once until you do another play through because of checkpoint system overwritten previous save points.

So as long as I can put those little things aside, and expect possibly less, I will keep my eye on this :)

At least this way I dont have high expectations and so cant be disappointed. I can only be surprised if its anything more - yay

There's more info coming out tomorrow. Good.

Gez said:

Half of the Heretic/Hexen era team went away when Activision bought Raven, and they formed Humanhead Studio instead.

Again, just like iD. =P

A Wolfenstein that is... not Wolfenstein? And it's about machines?

If I am not wrong, the current dev team was responsible for Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay and The Darkness, both were quite good, said by critics.

Let's just say I'm intrigued.

40oz said:

music is vomit

Your posts are vomit.

...Just kidding. I do agree. I'm kind of tired of the "soundtrack dissonance" trend, as if every epic trailer has to have that extra level of arty-fartyness.

DoomUK said:

Your posts are vomit.

...Just kidding. I do agree. I'm kind of tired of the "soundtrack dissonance" trend, as if every epic trailer has to have that extra level of arty-fartyness.

You guys sure like to complain over little things.
If they had used dubstep (now that is a stupid trend) on the other hand, I would be mad.

DoomUK said:

Maybe this will usher in a new era in trailers. :p

Making the Nazis apart of the Illuminati is just what Wolfenstein needs. People forget that Wolfenstein should be wacky and far-fetched. And I don't mean mutant super Nazis and demons and shit. That has been done to death in today's media.

I think the Wolfenstein franchise could be stellar if they made continuity and a focal player.

DoomUK said:

Your posts are vomit.

The music suggests timeframe for the game's setting. IE, the 60:ies

Technician said:

Making the Nazis apart of the Illuminati is just what Wolfenstein needs.

Looking forward to gggmork's response.

kristus said:

Yes, it does. I still think it's unnecessary.

kristus said:

It is in the 60's. Apparently, it takes place in an alternate timeline, after the Nazis have won the war and taken over the world.

LkMax said:

Again, just like iD. =P

id expanded greatly after being bought by Bethesda, so I'm not quite sure what you're referring to here. Unless you're referring to the departure of Romero(hardly 'half' the company, even at the time) who went on to form 'Shit St---', I mean 'Ion Storm'.

It looks like this is yet another desperate attempt of making money out of the name, while having very little to do with its true predecessors, since it appears to be just another modern shooter. Years ago, I got excited about RtCW and Doom 3, but now I'm sceptical at best. I don't care for Doom 4 either.

I think, if this was a movie trailer done in the same style, I would be super excited for the movie. The trailer is cool, can't wait to see more.

Technician said:

Making the Nazis apart of the Illuminati

I'll take this opportunity to point out that Vermil got the title wrong. It's "The New Order", not "New World Order".

Caffeine Freak said:

id expanded greatly after being bought by Bethesda, so I'm not quite sure what you're referring to here. Unless you're referring to the departure of Romero(hardly 'half' the company, even at the time) who went on to form 'Shit St---', I mean 'Ion Storm'.

From the original id software team only John Carmack is working there now. That's more than half the team. (originally being John Carmack, John Romero, Tom Hall, Adrian Carmack and a few others IIRC). Also, more Respect to Ion Storm, boy. Deus Ex alone compensates for all their mistakes.

BTW, the "id expanded and blah blah blah" commentary is irrelevant, I'm talking about the quality of their games today (both id and Raven) being not as memorable, not the company size.

Gez said:

I'll take this opportunity to point out that Vermil got the title wrong. It's "The New Order", not "New World Order".

Too bad. Apogee pretty much tried to do just this with the original ROTT.

Gez said:

Doh! Thanks :) Silly me :p

I'll probably wait until I see some sort of gameplay trailer for this before I actually get too interested. It was the same way with ROTT - cool beans, but I wasn't completely sold until I saw it in action.

That said, Wolfenstein. Cool.