Wolfenstein: The New Order annouced

Touchdown said:

People generally seem to be very dependant on previews. Maybe I'm alone here but my approach to games is that if a game catches my eye for whatever reason, I usually buy it regardless of what people say. Wolf is such a case for me. I will get it. Even if it gets horrible reviews and everyone says it's terrible, I will still get it, because people are stupid and they usually don't know what they're talking about. It's nice to read a positive preview but at the end of the day, even negative ones would not stop me from buying a game I want to play.


I post these more for the information.

Gez said:

If the review says "it's good" or "it's bad", that's the reviewer's subjective opinion and isn't very interesting.

If it says, though, that there are several ways to tackle a level -- alternate paths, stealth vs. frontal assault, etc. -- then that's presumably objective and quite interesting, assuming they aren't lying.


As always, take everything with a grain of salt, I post these more for the information.

Share this post


Link to post
DooM_RO said:

I post these more for the information.


I'm not complaining about that. That was just a thought that came to my mind at the time.

Gez said:

If the review says "it's good" or "it's bad", that's the reviewer's subjective opinion and isn't very interesting.

If it says, though, that there are several ways to tackle a level -- alternate paths, stealth vs. frontal assault, etc. -- then that's presumably objective and quite interesting, assuming they aren't lying.


Sure but often the subjective reception plagues that objective information. A reviewer might say the combat is bad because you can't hold a weapon and a flashlight at the same time. Someone else might play it and not be bothered by it.

With this particular example, the previewer says it's awesome because levels are open. Open levels might as well be empty or confusing. Just an example.

Maybe it's just me but sometimes it's hard to determine whether an objectively explained feature is indeed broken or maybe it's the reviewer that makes a big deal out of nothing. That's why I never let reviews affect my purchase decisions.

Share this post


Link to post

I use a combination of previews, reviews, fan reactions and gut instinct but I never trust them completely.

Share this post


Link to post

I've been thinking, the game already appears to be very brave with its themes and presentation so if the game is successful, maybe they could take it even further? The life of a young German soldier like in this book http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_Quiet_on_the_Western_Front would be an amazing story.

You should really read the book by the way, it's quite amazing.

Share this post


Link to post

The Bethesda Store has a special edition of Wolfenstein The New Order--the Panzerhund Edition.
http://store.bethsoft.com/brands/wolfenstein/wolfenstein-the-new-order-panzerhund-edition.html

5,000 copies, has various goodies and a Panzerhund figure. The page says "This collector's edition does not include a copy of the game. Keep your pre-order at your favorite retailer and we'll send you these goodies separately". What are your thoughts on this?

Share this post


Link to post

I like the black footlocker with the Wolfenstein logo on it. I think it's a good idea that they let you order the game with your chosen retailer. That way you can order the game locally but still get the limited edition, which is probably too limited to make it available in all countries. If you REALLY want it, you can order it from abroad, but the game itself is available for everyone with their local sellers.

To sum up: a cool move and a cool offer.

Share this post


Link to post
TheUltimateDoomer666 said:

The Bethesda Store has a special edition of Wolfenstein The New Order--the Panzerhund Edition.
http://store.bethsoft.com/brands/wolfenstein/wolfenstein-the-new-order-panzerhund-edition.html

5,000 copies, has various goodies and a Panzerhund figure. The page says "This collector's edition does not include a copy of the game. Keep your pre-order at your favorite retailer and we'll send you these goodies separately". What are your thoughts on this?


It's 100% pure bullshit. A collector's edition without the game? What were they thinking!?!!

Share this post


Link to post

You HAVE TO order the game in order to have access to the collector's stuff. You're simply given an option to order the game with your local retailer. What's wrong with that?

Share this post


Link to post

Awesome trailer, thanks for sharing. This game looks like it's going to rock the genre BAD :D I want it already! :D

Share this post


Link to post

In the comments section of the video, Bethesda promised we would get an actual gameplay trailer Soon.

Share this post


Link to post

It's getting kinda silly with TF2 items on steam preorders. Its like a restaurant serving bread before a meal. "Here have some TF2 items".

But at least it doesn't have silly preorder or DLC items like super weapons that makes the game unbalanced.

Instant preorder for me.

Share this post


Link to post

I won't be able to preorder it since I've had some problems with my PC...but I will preorder it for sure.

Share this post


Link to post

The price is quite high to be honest. Do you think it will be lowered for the final release?

Share this post


Link to post

I'm not criticizing anyone here for doing so, but I personally feel that preordering this is a bad idea.

There's a chance this game won't be good, or at least good enough to justify paying full price. I also find the Doom beta rather dubious. They don't say whether it'll be multiplayer, singleplayer, or both. They don't even say when you'll get access to it. I don't want to drop money for a ticket to play vaporware possibly months or years after the Wolf game ships, especially vaporware from a rotting, now mostly talentless studio.

Carmack was quite possibly the only guy there that could have guided the studio, and even then, I don't think he'd even remotely save the sinking ship. He's a brilliant coder, but the practical unfeasibility of his recent designs and his general disinterest in the subjective game design side of things were only slowing them down. In the present state of hardware, there's not really many places to go in engine design without being so unconventional as to be unweildly. Unreal and Crytek has them totally outclassed in visual fidelity and easy, quick development. Really, he's better off at Oculus where his engineering actually will come in handy, since VR is honestly still in its infancy. Carmack doesn't seem to do well once returns start diminishing.

id Software has served its purpose of innovating 3D game engines, and has overstayed its welcome trying to stay relevant and failing hard at it. Each successive loss of key members has seen the studio decline in creative quality. The loss of Tom Hall saw the decline in the ambition of depth. The loss of John Romero saw the decline in creative personality that gave the games their edge. Sandy also added personality, both in experimental map design and his love for Lovecraft. With Carmack gone, id doesn't even have a brain anymore. All they have now is shithead Willits. I don't care that the guy designed a few good maps in the '90s, everything he's done in the past decade has sucked, and he has terrible ideas for the direction things should go in. Everything he's produced and said recently leads me to believe that he doesn't have a creative bone in his body. He likes to put the minimum effort into things, and design by the checkboxes of what's considered "in" at the time, not whether it's actually any fun to play. His approach is robotic and bland.


As for the Wolf game, it's looking pretty neat from the materials released so far, and being developed by a different studio gives me confidence that it has a good chance to turn out decently. But I'll only form an opinion of the game itself once it's out and has had the time to prove itself. If I were to preorder, it'd be for the game itself and not Doom 4. If Wolf turns out to be good, I'll buy it soon after launch if it interests me enough.

Share this post


Link to post

I have read a lot of previews for this game and I have the feeling that the reviews for it when it comes out are going to be written as thus: "Wolfenstein is a fun shooter but brings nothing new to the table. It's stuck in the past."

It seems to me most of the previewers are saying that the game is indeed fun, but it isn't innovative or revolutionary. I feel that despite Wolfenstein being a fun shooter, it's going to get panned simply because it's not Titanfall or because it doesn't have some sort of "revolutionary" gimmick.

In fact, there is one preview that I read where the author said that Wolfenstein feels dated because it doesn't have completely regenerating health and that the player has to search for medkits like it's a negative thing. Yeah, having to search for health and not act stupid in combat is such a burden, isn't it? Man, how far this genre has fallen.

Share this post


Link to post
doom_is_great said:

I have read a lot of previews for this game and I have the feeling that the reviews for it when it comes out are going to be written as thus: "Wolfenstein is a fun shooter but brings nothing new to the table. It's stuck in the past."

It seems to me most of the previewers are saying that the game is indeed fun, but it isn't innovative or revolutionary. I feel that despite Wolfenstein being a fun shooter, it's going to get panned simply because it's not Titanfall or because it doesn't have some sort of "revolutionary" gimmick.

In fact, there is one preview that I read where the author said that Wolfenstein feels dated because it doesn't have completely regenerating health and that the player has to search for medkits like it's a negative thing. Yeah, having to search for health and not act stupid in combat is such a burden, isn't it? Man, how far this genre has fallen.


To be honest I think the devs did that on purpose. They want to blend all that's good about newschool and oldschool and toss out the bad stuff and I respect them for that. I've been thinking about what you said about the previewers too, they just don't seem to get it although not all are like that. I think not trying to reinvent the wheel with pointless gameplay gimmicks is the point of the game. At least half of them are praising the game for what other previewers are panning.

The livestream is going to influence my decision on whether I preorder it or not... I REALLY want that Doom beta but I also really want this game to be good. After a whole year of taking just scraps of useful information from previewers who regurgitate the same thing over and over, we are about to see how the game really is, hopefully with some interesting commentary.

In a recent interview Pete Hines said there would be a new game mode that's never been done before when asked how a single player game can offer replayability without multiplayer. He said that you unlock this new game mode once you've found all the collectibles which are probably hidden in secrets.

Share this post


Link to post

@Sodaholic

Now now, it wasn't all bad. Doom 3 was pretty good. Not outstanding but still above average.

Share this post


Link to post

Pre-ordering is stupid. Wait until the youtubers review the gameplay and make your buying decision based on that.

Share this post


Link to post

I'm against bashing Tim Willits. It's true I thought of him negatively ever since he had acted as MC during the last Quakecon and had actively promoted all the dumb mini-games (I still don't know what their purpose was). However, RAGE was a great game for me and it was "his" game so he definitely knows what he's doing, at least as far as my taste is concerned.

Share this post


Link to post

Why would he do that? I mean, if he meant that the game can be played with a controller that's fine - he was just advertising a feature. If, however, he meant that a controller is somehow superior to keyboard+mouse combo... well... we all have bad days don't we? :D

Share this post


Link to post
Patrol1985 said:

Why would he do that? I mean, if he meant that the game can be played with a controller that's fine - he was just advertising a feature. If, however, he meant that a controller is somehow superior to keyboard+mouse combo... well... we all have bad days don't we? :D


During development, he would make sure that the developers would be using a gamepad to playtest, and if not he would tell them to use it. And his DRM stance was just pathetic.

Share this post


Link to post
doomgargoyle said:

During development, he would make sure that the developers would be using a gamepad to playtest, and if not he would tell them to use it. And his DRM stance was just pathetic.


Since the game was meant for consoles, it makes sense he wanted it playtested with a gamepad. Whatever gamepad can do, keyboard+mouse can do better so if the game plays alright on a pad it will do fine with a mouse. It doesn't work the other way round so I consider the decision quite good actually.

What was his DRM stance?

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now