Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Vermil

Wolfenstein: The New Order annouced

printz said:

He looked happier in previous games.

Maybe his guards fed him some special...fungus. I mean, have you ever wondered why the walls are blue?

I like killing robots. I like killing robots even more than demons or humans (war criminals or no), so I'm already sold on the concept. Now let's just see what kind of a game they build around it.

Current H.Y.P.E. level: curious

Ralphis said:

I think, if this was a movie trailer done in the same style, I would be super excited for the movie. The trailer is cool, can't wait to see more.

My alternate director's cut post was going to be

"Pretty cool looking flick; probably won't be able to see it in theatres. I'll check it out when it comes out on netflix"

This is what I have gathered from video previews and hands-on gameplay previews from foreign sites.

-Developed by MachineGames, not Bethesda or id Software
-Runs on id Tech 5
-Single Player Only
-Large Game Duration
-Strong focus on Story and Atmosphere
-Franchise Reboot that contains elements from some previous games
-Alternate Historical Timeline takes place 20 years after the Nazi's win WWII
-Strong cast of Villains
-NPC Interaction
-Massive Outdoor and Indoor Environments
-Wide variety of Nazi Occult Environments
-Wide Variety of Missions including stealth, vehicular etc...
-Puzzles and Adventure Elements with plenty of Secrets
-No Health Regeneration. Similar to the Chronicles of Riddick
-Huge Arsenal of Weapons. No limit to how many you can carry.
-Can Dual-Wield Most Weapons
-Scarce Ammo
-2013 Release Date

All those things said by EternalWolf are more than enough to make me want this game when it comes out, but until I can move from this shity area I'm in so I can get a decent internet connection it ain't gonna happen, this is why I loathe drm. :(

@Eternalwolf

It will also have a strong focus on exploration, that's why they call it an action-adventure shooter.

I think Far Cry 2 marks the last time I truly enjoyed driving in a FPS game. Let's just hope they learn a lesson from RAGE's underwhelming (and way overhyped) driving segments (which essentially played like a minigame between missions).

Rage had pretty lame car physics, too, for a game from a company who love their cars so much.

Driving segments of FPS would be improved somewhat if driving a vehicle actually felt like you were driving said vehicle. Tanks are the only thing anyone ever seems to get right, except for not being able to plow through buildings with them. But I digress.

schwerpunk said:

I think Far Cry 2 marks the last time I truly enjoyed driving in a FPS game. Let's just hope they learn a lesson from RAGE's underwhelming (and way overhyped) driving segments (which essentially played like a minigame between missions).

I disagree, Battlefield 3 had much better driving.

Here is some extra news! http://www.gamespot.com/features/rewriting-history-in-wolfenstein-the-new-order-6408113/?page=2

Here is a part which will surely be of interest to you

"Though B.J.'s health does regenerate, it will refill only to the nearest multiple of 20 (he starts with 100 health, in a nod to Wolfenstein 3D). Some enemy corpses will yield health boosts when searched, and there are medical kits to be found in any big combat arena. But you have to find them first, and that can mean taking on enemies when your health reserves are desperately low. Knowing that one burst from an enemy rifle can kill you forces you to change your battlefield tactics, injecting the action with an invigorating sense of urgency."

DooM_RO said:

I disagree, Battlefield 3 had much better driving.

I disagree with your disagreeing, but I agree -- in part -- because BF3 had good driving.

And although I didn't mention it, I was thinking of games that are primarily SP.

DooM_RO said:

Here is some extra news! http://www.gamespot.com/features/rewriting-history-in-wolfenstein-the-new-order-6408113/?page=2

Here is a part which will surely be of interest to you

"Though B.J.'s health does regenerate, it will refill only to the nearest multiple of 20 (he starts with 100 health, in a nod to Wolfenstein 3D). Some enemy corpses will yield health boosts when searched, and there are medical kits to be found in any big combat arena. But you have to find them first, and that can mean taking on enemies when your health reserves are desperately low. Knowing that one burst from an enemy rifle can kill you forces you to change your battlefield tactics, injecting the action with an invigorating sense of urgency."

ummm... looks fair enough, a balance between both health systems.
Still it would be better to refill to the nearest multiple of 10 (uh... if I understood how it works, that is).

Snakes said:

his timing and method of delivery were just piss-poor all around.

People are so easily upset.

Aren't people who make computer games entitled to say negative things about other people's computer games, just like we are?

Snakes said:

He had some valid points as far as the modern FPS genre goes, but his timing and method of delivery were just piss-poor all around.

“Did the world really need another Wolfenstein game? Did we need a generically dark, monochromatic, FPS, kill-the-Nazi-giant-robot game? Uh. No. The world did not. I am so tired of stuff like this,” wrote Spector.

How many other modern shooters have there been in the last three years pitting you against giant nazi robots? Were there maybe some giant robot nazis in COD: Black Ops?

@Gez

Exactly, I find the plot to be very original and full of potential.It's also very 1990ish. Fuck what he thinks.

Gez said:

How many other modern shooters have there been in the last three years pitting you against giant nazi robots? Were there maybe some giant robot nazis in COD: Black Ops?

Hence my 'timing and method of delivery' comment at the end of it. He simply chose the wrong FPS to single out with his comments. Truth be told, what he stated was clearly narrow-minded and aimed at EA and the sorts. I simply meant that he had a valid point as far as they were concerned.

Personally, I think there's been an increase in the variety of FPS games in the past year as opposed to a decrease.

DoomUK said:

Aren't people who make computer games entitled to say negative things about other people's computer games, just like we are?

Certainly. People are also allowed to address those comments as they would anyone else's.

The psuedo-celebrity status of a (formerly) high profile developer makes it more of a big deal, for some reason. Him having to make a formal public apology attests to this.

His Facebook page, his rules.

DoomUK said:

The psuedo-celebrity status of a (formerly) high profile developer makes it more of a big deal, for some reason. Him having to make a formal public apology attests to this.

His Facebook page, his rules.

He used the same method to make an apology that he used to post his initial comments to begin with - on his Facebook page (and under his rules). Lest there be someone behind the scenes here, he chose to do it.

Anyways, I only posted that to see if other people agreed with what he had to say in regards to the new Wolfenstein, not whether or no not the response to his comments were merited and I'm sorry it went in that direction. PM if it's something you'd like to further discuss.

DoomUK said:

Yes. And while I would never presume to take away Spector's freedom to voice his opinion in any way he chooses, I also think he's being pretty unprofessional here. This is more the type of thing you'd expect to hear from a spoiled, jaded poster on a gaming forum. Granted, Spector may meet those qualifications, but still, there's a way to voice your displeasure over a competitor's product without being a straight-up dick about it. Leave that to the forum posters and the reviewers, it doesn't bode well for your reputation as a developer.

DooM_RO said:

Though B.J.'s health does regenerate, it will refill only to the nearest multiple of 20

Interesting. This sounds like the same system as Medal of Honor: Airborne, and that was a great game. In that you had 4 blocks of health, and it would only regenerate to the block your health was in before the regeneration. You could only get the blocks back by finding health kits. I'd quite like to see it in another game, as it brought about the "take cover" element, while sticking with the fact that you can't just rely on cover alone.

I like the regeneration-within-segments method of health management. I think I might even prefer it to a system that solely uses medikits. Although if they're going this route, I don't think numbers are even necessary. Resistance (screenshot) handled this pretty elegantly, I thought; whatever else one might think of that game.

LOL @ "B.J. has 100[%] HP as a reference to the original [and every other game that describes your health using numbers]."

DooM_RO said:

@Gez

Exactly, I find the plot to be very original and full of potential.It's also very 1990ish. Fuck what he thinks.

He was pretty stupid with that comment. Even if he was talking about a standardt "modern military on-rails shooter" (COD, MOH, BF3 campaing, etc etc etc) he would still sound like an average internet troll.

I'm actually starting to get tired of Nazis.

It's a sad state of affairs when Nazis become boring. Like zombies. Fucking trendsters.