Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Killamangiro91

Fightan Gaems

Does anyone actively play fighting games?
I always have phases when I want to play fighting games....only thing is is that I'm no good.
Lets have a discussion on Fighting games.
Give tips, recommendations, stories....

Just got GGPO and a few roms, so going to be playing some(and sucking at it) street fighter 2.

HOW CAN I GET BETTER???
Don't answer that, I know the answer. PRACTICE!!!
How should someone need to practice and train so hard to enjoy a type of game?

Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition is good.

You're already playing old school Street Fighter 2, so there's no need to recommend that. But if you want other older fighting games, Killer Instinct 2 is a classic. The Tekken games are good. The Mortal Kombat series is probably more 'accessible' than more sophisticated fighting games, so if you really find Street Fighter that hard, try those. And then there's the plethora of 'MK clones', if you're desperate.

There's way too many to list, really. It's like asking us to talk about FPSes or RPGs.

I was never any good at these games but I really liked the aesthetic of the 2D quarter-gulpers. I can usually beat pure button mashers but my strategy isn't really more advanced than "block and counter-spam whatever move the dragon punch motion does." Since I was never able to 100% reliably pull off the move it turned into a mixture of fireballs/punches (virtually all Ryu-like characters seem to share those moves) which I think made it marginally more effective :)

SNK games were my favorite. The Last Blade series and Garou: Mark of the Wolves really took the poor old Neo-Geo to it's limit. Samurai Shodown IV was pretty ace too. I could never pull off the moves in Art of Fighting, King of Fighters, Fatal Fury, or Rage of Dragons so I never got into those.

I've a thing for fighting games, though I consider myself a casual player of them (i.e I'm in no way a professional player or anything like that), particularly ones for the original Playstation. I've got something like 300 different fighting games.

My personal favourite fighting game series is the Battle Arena Toshinden series. It's very old, but I like it.

First fighting game I ever liked was sf2ce, I was okay with ssf4ae though I wish the extra characters were unlockable rather than already available as it would've gave more reason to play through the game, the Batman Arkham series is great for the fighting side, Super Smash Brother Melee is also great and Brawl is okay.

Vermil said:

My personal favourite fighting game series is the Battle Arena Toshinden series.

Heh, I'd forgotten about those. IIRC the first game was one of the launch titles for the original Playstation.

The Soul Blade/Soul Calibur games are also really good.

Avoozl said:

I wish the extra characters were unlockable rather than already available as it would've gave more reason to play through the game

No different to how SSFII's extra characters were selectable by default.

<-----

Fighters are more or less all of what I offer time to play anymore, I mashed on SF and VF occasionally as a kid then through the wonder of kaillera I started getting back "into" them in greater depth around 2006. I primarily play KOF (98 is best though 13 is the hot new thing right now, it's OK) and SF2 but I'll bounce around a bunch of other 2D fighters, I'm not so much interested in most 3D but VF is nice.

You should talk to Liam on here if he ever gets off hiatus, I'd also be up to playing on GGPO/Supercade sometime and helping people learn some games.

(And here I always had a vibe that DW hated comp games that weren't CPMA)

I'd like to see these techniques in a serious fighting game.

valkiriforce said:

Killer Instinct Gold for Ludicrous Speed + Ultra Combos.

I was more fond of the 2D backdrops in KI2, myself.

But yeah, it's probably easier to get hold of a legal copy of KIG than the KI2 arcade rom.

Tekken. All of my mates can hand my arse to me in Street Fighter, so this is how I exact my revenge >:D

I've always loved fighting games, usually preferring 2D over 3D fighters. My favorite has been The Last Blade 2 for quite some time. I highly recommend giving that one a try. Samurai Shodown 4 is also really good, as is KoF '98. Waku Waku 7 is also quirky but fun.

Oh god, and Guilty Gear XX and XX #Reload. So. Much. Fun. They feel like HD SNK games.

There's also this other series that occasionally has decent titles. Street Fight or something like that? I dunno.

I love fighting games, but my brothers and most of my friends never got into them so playing them alone gets boring after a while, and playing online doesn't suffice compared to playing with people sitting next to you.

Street Fighter 2, Super, Turbo
Mortal Kombat, 2, 3, UMK3, Trilogy, DA, Dec, and now 9
DOA 3
Marvel vs. Capcom 2

Are the ones I played the most.

I love me some good ol' Soul Calibur

....and some Power Stone 2 while I'm at it....
Oh God Power Stone 2 was fucking amazing......

And I do love MvC2 and MvC3, but hella more love for MvC2

I'm all about some Mortal Kombat. Doesn't matter what MK it is, I'll play the hell out of'em. Oh, and the Smash Bros series is the shit.

baronofheck82 said:

I'm all about some Mortal Kombat. Doesn't matter what MK it is, I'll play the hell out of'em. Oh, and the Smash Bros series is the shit.

The latest one is actually really fun. The single-player campaign channels all of the delicious campiness of the first movie. Like, Johnny Cage is perfect.

I also liked Mace : the Dark Age and BioFreaks back in the day, but I'm weird and I like weird things. Don't give a shit about balance.

Fuck Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter, Tekken and others. Melty Blood Actress Again is by far the best fighting game out there with its fluid movement system allowing you to attack, defend and feint in ways that just aren't possible in mainstream fighters: Every character in MBAA can super jump and at least both double jump and air dash during any jump, with most having other movement-boosting capabilities as well (specific special moves, additional air dashes, etc) and the combo system allows you to combo moves in almost any order, adding extra depth to blocking (compare to games where combos can be done only in very specific ways). As a result MBAA has a ridiculously high skill ceiling, since mastering all the options both you and your opponent have is much harder than in a game like Street Fighter IV.

For portable systems, BlazBlue Continuum Shift 2 is a decent pick, though nowhere near as good.

I'm waiting for Super Street Fighter 3 Alpha 2 EX4 vs Capcom, Marvel, SNK and Tekken.

Jodwin said:

Melty Blood

Do you play on ps2? I assume you have to use shitty shoulder buttons? Hint: humans have opposable: A)thumbs B)index fingers C)middle fingers
I'd rather only use shoulder buttons with my toes than fingers.

street fighter x tekken for xbox 360: shit. I'd make a more in depth review but I might make a whole thread to troll xbox 360 because I hate it.

both versions of street fighter for genesis (essential: w/ 6 button controller) = very fun, high replay value, challenging fun ai even after decades (a couple like t hawk/cammy always jump so you can always knock them out of the air cheaply, but you can still give yourself artificial sub goals/constraints to make it fun or play the non "super" game. Its much better quality than mortal kombat ii style (where ai can fall for repetitive sweeps and mashing buttons is the best strategy). I usually play with my own goal of beating all enemies w/ no deaths on highest difficulty.
Many games seem to come down to very simple collision detection, like a projectile hits an enemy and the enemy disappears.. which I guess makes sense because things affect other things locally in the unvierse. But street fighter turns stupid golden axe ii type of slash slash slash simple collisions into a much deeper interaction of button combinations/blocks and choices of input per tic, and its elegant not buried in a crusty layer of newfangled bs like xbox 360 streetfighter x tekken.
Drawing all frames for street fighter 2 must have been a major pain, even for 1 move of 1 character.

gggmork said:

Do you play on ps2? I assume you have to use shitty shoulder buttons? Hint: humans have opposable: A)thumbs B)index fingers C)middle fingers
I'd rather only use shoulder buttons with my toes than fingers.

PC with a fighting stick, or arcade if I'm visiting Japan.

boris said:

I'm waiting for Super Street Fighter 3 Alpha 2 EX4 vs Capcom, Marvel, SNK and Tekken.

In all seriousness, Killer Instinct vs Mortal Kombat has always been something I wanted to see.

Of all the ridiculous fighting game crossovers that have happened, this is the one that should exist.