Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lord FlatHead

John Carmack keynote from Quakecon 2000

Hi guys,

I used to be a regular on here about a decade ago, wonder if there's anyone still around who remembers when I was the moderator of the Doom 3 forum... (good times!)

The reason I'm posting is that I have a Tumblr dedicated to old-school FPS games (primarily the id Software and 3D Realms games from 1992 to 2000). I recently found an old, very crappy audio recording of John Carmack's keynote from Quakecon 2000 on an external HD and noticed it wasn't available anywhere on the web anymore, so I uploaded it to archive.org. Wanting to get it out to a wider audience I'm posting it to a few forums where I think my fellow Carmack/id nerds might be congrating. So I guess for you Carmack geeks and oldschool Quake/Doom 3 guys, you should go have a listen here.

I'm also looking for more cool Doom/Quake/first-person-shooter related stuff from that era, would be awesome if anyone could point me to something cool to post. I don't mind if it's super-obscure or technical, as long as it's something cool that relates to classic FPS games.

So, yeah. Thanks! DOOM!

Its pretty rare when I fall asleep at my computer :-(

geo said:

Its pretty rare when I fall asleep at my computer :-(

You should drink more, than it wouldn't be so rare.

I'm trying to listen on there but Carmack is just so not a charismatic speaker on there. Followed your blog though :D

Hey that reminds me of something I've been looking for a long time: around '96 or 97, one of the big sites like Blues News (or another like that) had a big wallpaper image of all the Quake episode 1 levels. Pretty much someone took screenshots and melded/morphed them with each other, starting with the first map on the left, ending with the end-boss map on the right side, and all the others in between. Anyway it looked cool, but I haven't been able to find it again (a lot of those sites are gone, and archive.org doesn't have everything...)