Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Platinum Shell

Detroit filed for Chapter 9 bankruptcy

I was WTFing for a few minutes and then realized that the car industry is Detroit's biggest source of income, an industry that domestically is not doing that great in recent years. But still, sucks to hear and is still making me go WTF a bit.

The thing that sucks is that some of my buddies have work predominately involving payment from Detroit so I wonder how they're gonna do. And Roseville isn't very far from Detroit so that's also not a plus. We've already had a lot of them move away from there and come here so I can only imagine what it will be like now.

That's what happens when you let a bunch of idiots run a big city. Oh, and fuck Kwame too.

EDIT: Didn't Detroit also have some school supply embezzlement case? Where they didn't have enough supplies to properly teach the students but then found a fuck ton locked up in this storage room? Also, here's another sad thing: this one school had such low attendence rates that they offered mini ipads (I think? I don't keep up to date on all these apple products they keep shitting out) to anyone who showed up on a particular day. Which subsequently led to the theft of them when the children walked home through the nearby underpass and got mugged for them.

Now we just wait for a giant corporation to buy Detroit and deploy police cyborgs and robots.

Scet said:

Now we just wait for a giant corporation to buy Detroit and deploy police cyborgs and robots.

I just hope they go with the old school Robocop, and not the remake version.

Scet said:

As long as they don't have some corrupt high up guy and Red Foreman making things tough for them.

Scet said:

Hope Ronny Cox doesn't show up, his leadership wasn't that pretty in a futuristic Detroit, or was it Dallas?

*bad sarcasm alert*
RIP Detroit. You will be missed.

Platinum Shell said:

EDIT: Didn't Detroit also have some school supply embezzlement case? Where they didn't have enough supplies to properly teach the students but then found a fuck ton locked up in this storage room? Also, here's another sad thing: this one school had such low attendence rates that they offered mini ipads (I think? I don't keep up to date on all these apple products they keep shitting out) to anyone who showed up on a particular day. Which subsequently led to the theft of them when the children walked home through the nearby underpass and got mugged for them.

I was looking at some urban exploration photos one day and the photographer pointed out stacks of perfectly good textbooks in abandoned classrooms. I think it was in Detroit. This is a city that can't even use the stuff it already has.

Aliotroph? said:

This is a city that can't even use the stuff it already has.

Detroit was built to hold over 12 million people. Now it has less than 3/4 of a million inhabitants. So, yeah, it looks like a virus killed off humanity in many parts.

EDIT: On topic.

I'm surprised GM hasn't pulled production out of Canada and move back to Detroit, seeing as how cheap American labor has become.

Or simply move all production down to Mexico. That too.

Technician said:

I'm surprised GM hasn't pulled production out of Canada and move back to Detroit, seeing as how cheap American labor has become.

Or simply move all production down to Mexico. That too.

The American people can thank George Bush Senior and Bill Clinton for NAFTA, GATT and the World Trade Organization deals and membership. But I guess it the real de-industrialization began with Paul Adolph Volcker at the Federal Reserve during the Carter administration with the 22 % prime rate. Not only the US was affected but the entire world. Thanks a lot Mr. Volcker. That was the domestic policy President Carter turned over to Volcker. Great stuff, or not.

A more important important story is "Why do people still live in Detroit?"

Admittedly my exposure to that place is limited, but it looks like an absolute shit hole.

StevieCybernetik said:

Admittedly my exposure to that place is limited, but it looks like an absolute shit hole.

Isn't it the murder capital of America? And one of the same ones of the entire world (e.g. Caracas, Ciudad Juarez, Baghdad, New Orleans, Grozny)?

It probably hasn't been the murder capital in a long time, simply because it doesn't have enough people left.

Cause and effect?

StevieCybernetik said:

Probably can't afford to live elsewhere. More than a third of Detroit's population is living below the poverty line.

Auto companies abandoned this place over twenty-five years ago, it has nothing to do with recent hard times (watch the documentary Roger and Me). Speaking of which, you guys know the whole state of Michigan has technically been in economic recession since 2001, never recovered?

Really a sad affair for a city that helped win WWII for the US.

People do actually move into Detroit nowadays. There has been a resurgence of small firms who see cheap land values and tax credits for doing business within city limits, so there is actual positive growth happening in Detroit, but not rapid enough from an accounting perspective. Also, any suburban adolescents who get into drugs move to the city to be closer to the supply (city of Flint is another scenic destination). War on Drugs is absolute bullshit way to persecute urban young people and bring the heat on an already charred landscape.

They had the worst crime in the country for 20+ years after the auto plants replaced the workers with machines. I think only one year was it overthrown for worst crime by St. Louis.

It is possible to get them out of this debt with time, but you need jobs and to get crime down. Catch is big companies wouldn't go there without lower taxes and lower crime rate.

Another issue is there just aren't enough people actually living in one area to make it economically viable to support it. Thousands of empty houses that make it perfect for criminals and bums to hide. They need people in those houses paying taxes. They need jobs or someone to bulldoze those homes to shrink the city into something manageable. If only the inhabitants could just all move into houses next to one another and forget about everything else. That would make it a lot easier to police.

A lot of people are leaving Detroit and have left Detroit over the past 60 years. The people moving in were part of the $300,000 stimulus package to BUILD NEW HOMES WHEN THE OLD ONES WEREN'T FILLED!!!

To compensate for people leaving, they raised taxes and HALF the people lost their homes. Brilliant idea, bankrupt the people actually living there. Gooooo Detroit!

Bankrupting citizens doesn't make it any easier to fund a city. If anything they should deal in BULK. Lower taxes so those 600,000+ homes get filled. Those homes get filled, there are more taxpayers. Businesses see a need to be there to accommodate the people there. Lower business and industry taxes to get bigger jobs back that can support a lot of people.

This can be solved and even if my idea does or does not work, there is something that can save this city.

Detroit has had so many ups and downs the past few years and every time they hit bottom the hole the city is in gets deeper and deeper. At this point I'm also thinking that any fix won't last really long tell the next admin fucks it up for benefit of themselves and there backers? Detroit has a long history of corruption and its even evident today that the current admin is just as corrupt as the one before.

Looking at the current situation the ball is really in the citizens of Detroit court and they are the ones who will ultimately decide if the city fails or not. If they are willing to clean house when it comes to there current admin and really push new laws, tax codes, the city will turn around. If the people of Detroit (and the people of the US in general) don't start pushing for real change now there really isn't a future. Any fix will be temporary and Detroit will fall into another hole. The next one just might be the one hole to deep to climb out of.

Perhaps 'the Great Detroit Fire of 2014' could help the city.

geo said:
Lower taxes so those 600,000+ homes get filled.

Yup, Pink Floyd lied to you when they said money was the root all evils, it's obviously taxes!

All the more ironic where Hooverism destroyed an industry by letting businesses dump workers in tenements and ditches to just go elsewhere with the money.

I can understand raising taxes if the city is completely full to thin the herd. Like how a theme park with a giant parking lot that is always 100% full will charge money to park there. While a struggling theme park with half a lot will never charge money to park there. They just want to get you to the park in the first place.

What does paying double taxes get you in a city with the highest crime rate in America? It just gives you motivation to move elsewhere. Plus either as a scam or incompetence, houses are assessed at over market value so they have to pay more in taxes.

Oh and the top 2 property assessors get paid $100,000 each per year and work only 2 days a week.

Reading some articles homeowners just don't pay taxes in Detroit. Plus what can the lack of cops even do about it? Throw you in jail so you can not pay taxes there?

I'd take this shit job to make a profit for free just because I like challenge. You can only go up from here.

You know who's next? Everybody. Better learn how to eat bugs and plankton now. You won't have to worry about shelter much because there will be plenty of human corpses to form corpse igloos of sorts.