Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

Is beer as bad for your teeth as soda?

I am trying to cut back on soda because of my teeth, but I have taken a liking to beer.

Obviously beer isn't healthy in large amounts any more so then soda, but does it actually damage your teeth as much as, say, coke? Or soft drinks in general?

It's decent for oral hygiene considering it kills off (to an extent) the microbial flora and fauna which propagate in the mouth. The only time I can see beer being a problem is when you get the "munchies", i.e. what foods you choose to consume after drinking a can. Beer has a lot of calories in it but they don't come from sugar, they're more like carbohydrates. If the fermentation process goes well, the yeast should have eaten all sugar.

If beer were as bad for teeth as soda, I'd be gumming my delicious turkey on this fine, Wednesday evening. I think you'll be fine.

Avoozl said:

But also it's not as if you hold any of the drinks in your mouth for extended periods.

Definde "extended periods". Good drinks stay in my mouth for a while so I can properly enjoy the taste.

I fucking cracked one of my front teeth because I was drunk, misjudged the distance between glass and mouth and cracked myself in the gob with the rim of the pint.

TheCupboard said:

It's decent for oral hygiene considering it kills off (to an extent) the microbial flora and fauna which propagate in the mouth. The only time I can see beer being a problem is when you get the "munchies", i.e. what foods you choose to consume after drinking a can. Beer has a lot of calories in it but they don't come from sugar, they're more like carbohydrates. If the fermentation process goes well, the yeast should have eaten all sugar.

Random nitpick: "sugar" is a sub-group of carbs. The one in beer, called maltose, is a type of sugar. But yeah, beer is low in it anyway. And it isn't as damaging to teeth as the sugar found in sodas.

So having said that, beer isn't as bad for your teeth as soda.

not for your teeth but it builds spare tire around your waist as effectively if you drink it too much and forgot to move

flubbernugget said:

Drinking soda is less damaging to your teeth of you drink it with a straw. I would assume the same goes for beer.

Who on earth drinks beer with a straw?

Beer is good for your teeth, your health, and life in general. Soda is bad. Beer is good. Burp.

hardcore_gamer said:

Watch the movie "Cabaret Balkan" (or "The Powder Keg") and you'll see a very good example.

I heard that some german beers are meant to be drank with straw because of their potent drunkness inducing effect

hardcore_gamer said:

Watch the movie "The World's End" (or "Three Flavours Cornetto 3") and you'll see a very good example.

Kontra Kommando said:

Actually the alcohol would at least kill a lot of germs and bacteria in your mouth. It is good to have a glass of white wine with fish, to do that.

Is this really true for Beer though? 5% vol really isn't much.

Coopersville said:

Watch the movie "The World's End" (or "Three Flavours Cornetto 3") and you'll see a very good example.

Dammit Cooper, I wanted to say this.

Nevermind the effects of soda on teeth for a moment. Have you checked your blood sugar level recently due to your soda consumption (assuming not diet sodas)?

Found this on the IntarWebz. No references to speak of (aside from the "Beer Fox" who wrote the article) so I can't verify how accurate this article is, but read through it. If her stats on the pH levels are correct then that should give you a starting idea of comparison between other beverages.

Dutch Doomer said:

Drink diet soda, not sure if you're better off with that. Some say its just as bad as normal soda, or worse.

As far acidity goes it still contains a fair amount of acid. My teeth can attest to that.

hardcore_gamer said:
Is this really true for Beer though? 5% vol really isn't much.

That's right, I prefer grappa instead.