Find results in...
darknation

Mental Illness

batshit spastic?  

72 members have voted

1. 1. batshit spastic?

• yea
    • nae

I'm curious; how many of you consider yourselves to have some form of repulsive psychological disease? I'm willing to discount furries for the purposes of this poll*. Depression counts if you are either medicated or think the colour of your own blood goes well with the wallpaper / curtains. Alcoholism and drug abuse are made of win, therefore do not count towards the ultimate purposes of this poll unless you have really ruined your life by over-indulging in God's glorious narcotic bounty.

Have at thee.

*Unless you think that your fixation on anthropomorphic rabbits is - quite rightly - a sign that your brain is a broken distro, in which case feel free to tell us all about how wallowing in your rancid, feculent self-loathing is ruining your life.

I've been through 12 years of depression and still going, and last year I just developed anxiety as I was trying to get back into to being social in real life again after a long time, I have Aspergers but I have no idea if that counts.

Oh yeah. I've had repeated problems in the past with all sor-

darknation said:

Alcoholism and drug abuse are made of win, therefore do not count towards the ultimate purposes of this poll unless you have really ruined your life by over-indulging in God's glorious narcotic bounty.

Ah... well, uh, never mind then.

I'm a pigheaded asshole with practically null social skills. So I'm going to say... yes.

EDIT: Oops.

Asperger's, social anxiety and depression, here. For a short while, I was hospitalized and sedated for apparent delusions, although I was never diagnosed with any form of psychosis.

When you're in your fourth year of college, and you haven't made a single friend and the desks around where you sit are always the last to fill up, it sort of makes you feel like a subhuman dog who deserves to die.

Primarily Obsessional OCD is the only thing I've been outright diagnosed with, but its pretty apparent that I struggle with anxiety and depression as well. That depression/anxiety was as bad as to lead to suicidal ideation at one point, too. Gladly, however, I can say that not only am I long free of suicidal ideation, but also that I'm unburdened and happy at least half of the time these days. :)

Obsidian said:

I have Assburgers. Does that count?

I'd be surprised if the people who made these decisions were to categorise the various forms of ASD as illnesses.

I've known a fair few people - friends and acquaintances - who have undergone psychotic episodes, full-blown psychosis, and/or schizophrenia - in most cases, this has been tied to their impressive misuse of various drugs (most recently, methadrone).

Upvotes for eloquently written and entertaining opening post. Also for the guy who wrote "Ass Burgers".

As for myself, I won't qualify, although I had my fair share of asocial, anxious and depressed episodes in the past (it's much better although I tend to not very actively seek social contact if there is no outside influence (kinda like a psychological Newton's Law) even though I enjoy social contact with the right people like any introvert, and leaning towards extroversion in the right situations (I can be very chatty)).

An ex of mine has been diagnosed with a form of Borderline Personality Disorder, and she always had been clinically depressed so I kinda have an idea of the hell that someone like that must go through.

I guess the other big question is: Are there significantly more "mental" members of doomworld.com than usual (i.e. the rest of the human population)?

Kotzugi said:

I guess the other big question is: Are there significantly more "mental" members of doomworld.com than usual (i.e. the rest of the human population)?

Like someone who was hospitalised in department for psychicaly ill for several times?

Btw, Can you guess what I have? (minus the bad grammar :p)

Sokoro said:

Like someone who was hospitalised in department for psychicaly ill for several times?

Same qualifications as what OP stated.

Sokoro said:

Btw, Can you guess what I have? (minus the bad grammar :p)

Since you've been hospitalised it means that you needed treatment for something physical. So I would guess not something like hallucinations but maybe self-harm or injury because of depression, borderline or something else where you lose your sense of self or something.

Hey I'm no expert.

During my high school years I was concerned I had something wrong with me. If you do a lot of psychological reading, even the most normal person will have like six or seven disorders. I've come to accept that i, along with most people here probably just have an introverted personality and there's nothing wrong with that.

The only thing I have and it's quite bad at times to the extent that I always look behind me (even in broad daylight) when I walk home as I seem to think I am always being followed even in my own house often when alone I tend to check everything and double check doors to see if they're locked, I am sure that every human does this though. Many a sleepless night is quite common for me too and my short term memory is shockingly bad but I don't count those as mental health issues.

Hey, I did not say I was hospitalised..
and in case that I would say that I was, then I would also say that it was because of them trying to diagnose me and of me not doing what was expected from me, but I do not want to make it easier for NSA Spyorists :p

Halucinations are for schizophrenic people and self-harm is for weak normal people.

Sokoro said:

Hey, I did not say I was hospitalised..

Sorry, but the way you stated it gave me that impression.

Sokoro said:

and in case that I would say that I was, then I would also say that it was because of them trying to diagnose me and of me not doing what was expected from me, but I do not want to make it easier for NSA Spyorists :p

Paranoia?

Sokoro said:

Halucinations are for schizophrenic people and self-harm is for weak normal people.

A lot of things cause hallucinations.

Wikipedia said:

Hallucinations can be associated with drug use (particularly deliriants), sleep deprivation, psychosis, neurological disorders, and delirium tremens.

Also, my ex harms herself and she isn't "weak and normal", it is explicitly because of her borderline condition.

Diagnosed with depression when I was 17. Was later hospitalised for a week following a failed suicide attempt.

Have since developed other symptoms. I can tick most of the boxes for social anxiety and body dysmorphia, though neither of these have been professionally assessed.

As is often the case for people who are hobbyists primarily on the internet, I was diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome around 11, although I'm fairly minor on that front.

Social Anxiety Disorder and Depression get bandied around as possibilities for me too, but as I'm not interested in being professionally diagnosed and have similar opinions on psychology to 40oz, I consider those fairly normal and just something I have to deal with. My bad spells are usually short-lived and don't have any ill effects IMO.

I've been accused of alcoholism several times over the last few years, but I've proved to my own satisfaction that I'm not dependent. It's all rock & roll here :p

I've had times in my life when I've hit the sauce pretty hard, so I'd definitely say I've got issues with alcohol. It's also been suggested that I may suffer from depression, but I've never gone in for an official diagnosis or anything.