Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
darknation

50 shades

darknation said:

I'm sure the kids tumblr will love it.

FTFY. Only jaded tumblr-tards and enlightened liberal arts students will care.

Most of these gender identities are repetitious and downright redundant if you stop to define them. Only useful for people humans ambiguously defined anthropomorphic organisms striving to be special snowflakes, really.

Users can also choose whether to be referred to as "he", "she" or "they".

What about "zim," "zer" or "zem?"

Check your privilege.

Technician said:

Most of these gender identities are repetitious and downright redundant if you stop to define them. Only useful for people humans ambiguously define anthropomorphic organisms striving to be special snowflakes, really.

I'll have you know that I am a pre-op cisgender heteronormative gynosexual with a cock and balls, and am deeply offended that you would treat my identity in such a way and I think it's great that facebook would cater to such things.

Quast said:

I'll have you know that I am a pre-op cisgender heteronormative gynosexual with a cock and balls, and am deeply offended that you would treat my identity in such a way and I think it's great that facebook would cater to such things.

Don't listen to that problematic, toxic, post! T-that's j-just my albeist, trans-phobic, head-mate speaking!

Please don't dox me and call my employer!

darknation said:

gender used to mean Peen or No Peen, I'm sure. Quite simple. Since when did that get mixed up with sexuality?

Gender identity is a little more complicated than that, I'll grant them, but fifty pronouns is just people trying to out minority status the next, IMO.

Technician said:

Gender identity is a little more complicated than that, I'll grant them, but fifty pronouns is just people trying to out minority status the next, IMO.

don't be confused. Go and find a dictionary. It really is that simple. It is a word that has been hijacked and twisted into something monstrous by fucktards with an agenda. That irks the shit out of me, because I hate to see good words raped in the name of politics.

50-odd options!? <checks the article date> Someone, somewhere might have confused Valentines Day with April Fools Day.

darknation said:

don't be confused. Go and find a dictionary. It really is that simple. It is a word that has been hijacked and twisted into something monstrous by fucktards with an agenda. That irks the shit out of me, because I hate to see good words raped in the name of politics.

It's people with mental issues trying to force the world to conform to them. The article says that about .3% in the US are trans. It's literally a small group of people trying to be treated like the majority. It's not about trans rights. Gritting your teeth and picking "male" or "female" just because you have a mental disorder and don't agree with the choices is hardly discrimination. I got plenty of mental issues, I'm fucked up. But I'm not going to demand changes on policies that have no significant effect on my life.

Sounds way more complicated then it would ever need to be just in the name of political correctness or something.

Sounds like a triumph for bullshit that doesn't matter in the real world. There's man, woman, and transgender, I stop counting at three. This sounds like the kind of stuff cooked up in the crack pipe of people that argue holding the door open for a lady is oppressive male chauvinism.

As a matter of fact, i would hold the door open for anyone, because I'm not an asshole.

I think it's more interesting that Facebook is trying to muscle in on tumblr's monopoly on insipid gender confusion bullshit myself. Must be a growing market.

Kontra Kommando said:

There's man, woman, and transgender, I stop counting at three.

I agree. I'm confused by all these additions - are they catering to hipsters/kids or something...?

Maybe I'm being insensitive or missing the point, but I'm almost on the side of only needing two. I mean, whatever you identify as, do I really need to know that your transgender? I mean, if we're close and you feel like sharing that with me, fine, but I am more than happy to accept your gender position without qualifications. I almost feel that those extra qualifications would do more harm than good - it only reinforces the idea that transgender people don't really count. If, say, I were to decide to identify as a woman, wouldn't it kind of hurt the point if I felt the need to add qualifications to that label?

And I mean, I know it's a touchy subject already, but that's almost precisely why we don't need all this extra business muddying the waters. You can't expect to convince people that being trans is a perfectly valid lifestyle choice if you're not treating the issue seriously.

geekmarine said:

Maybe I'm being insensitive or missing the point, but I'm almost on the side of only needing two. I mean, whatever you identify as, do I really need to know that your transgender?

this. It's like being asked for gender on a passport and answering 'gay'.

What I noticed is that it's a text box where you can put anything you want. That's good. Where the 50 options come in is that they're pre-defined tags. That's overkill.

I came to this thread to read about sequel to BTSX.
Instead I read about some facebook crap. You disapoint me.

geekmarine said:

Maybe I'm being insensitive or missing the point, but I'm almost on the side of only needing two. I mean, whatever you identify as, do I really need to know that your transgender? I mean, if we're close and you feel like sharing that with me, fine, but I am more than happy to accept your gender position without qualifications. I almost feel that those extra qualifications would do more harm than good - it only reinforces the idea that transgender people don't really count. If, say, I were to decide to identify as a woman, wouldn't it kind of hurt the point if I felt the need to add qualifications to that label?

And I mean, I know it's a touchy subject already, but that's almost precisely why we don't need all this extra business muddying the waters. You can't expect to convince people that being trans is a perfectly valid lifestyle choice if you're not treating the issue seriously.

The reason is some people don't fit into man or woman mentally. Not all cultures stick to those two either. We don't have predefined easy options for everybody so letting people choose their own labels probably works best. Everybody gets to live in a slightly more complicated world, and imho that's a good thing.

Also, I couldn't find any hint of 50 options or tags. I just found a textbox when I clicked Custom. You can put in something totally random or write in a default option and subject it to privacy controls (why they built that feature with only the custom control is beyond me - just more unnecessary logic in the code).

If we are to address each person by their mental representation of themselves, all of you better start kissing my feet and call me king right now.

We should go back to what linguists think were probably the first genders: animate and inanimate.

What.

I jumped at the chance to set my gender to "Gender Nonconforming". Although the soup of pigeonholes is a bit ridiculous (male/female/other would've done. Seriously), I think it's great that non-gender-binary people are being represented.

I may be a little skewed toward the hipster/tumblr outlook there though, given that my partner is transgender. ;)

How do you doublepost on Doomworld if after each post there is a 60 seconds period when you can't post again?

I think there's an occasional glitch with the software, where it appears to stall so you click "Submit Reply" again (in case the first one hadn't registered) and find yourself with a double-post. I once triple-posted that way, much to my embarrassment.

Jayextee said:

Although the soup of pigeonholes is a bit ridiculous (male/female/other would've done. Seriously)

My inner grammar Nazi wants to insist that "male" and "female" are sexes, not genders; and genders are "masculine" and "feminine" instead.

Gez said:

My inner grammar Nazi wants to insist that "male" and "female" are sexes, not genders; and genders are "masculine" and "feminine" instead.

Heh. In that case, the Spanish should have more than masculine (o) and feminine (a) nouns, adjectives, whatever, and add a transgender option to their language (u?). Just so they include everyone, okay?

50+ choices is a lot, but it's not like adding more options really costs or harms anything though. If it's a text field where you can enter anything you want, why not offer a whole bunch of presets?

I'm a mirl, a man-girl, and I demand to be able to use little girl's bathrooms. Its not my fault the government puts estrogen mimickers in the plastic linings and chemtrails as part of operation gay bomb, so the government can finally be the man in the relationship with the rest of humanity as its abused wife. And I better see octopus people on that list or some powerful civil rights octos (don't call them "inkies", that's racist) will be contacted.