I haven't seen a thread relating to it, so figured I'll make one. I'm an avid Godzilla fan, probably much more than I am of Doom, Quake, and Unreal combined. Something I grew up with and been following all my life. The last American film was sort of a let down as it basically used Godzilla's name in vain. A giant iguana that eats fish and is afraid of an incompetent military? Please... (it's an okay film, but it's not Godzilla by any means)

Now 10 years after Godzilla Final Wars we finally get another movie, one that is also American made. This time it seems to be very respectable to the original Japanese franchise drawing many elements from the original 1954 movie. The effects look astonishing, the acting seems well done, and it's friggin' Godzilla this time. My poor heart is barely able to handle this.



This past week alone we got 7 TV spots (so far) revealing more and more of Godzilla and the monsters that he is fighting (called Mutos). I'm running low on pants.

Note: Godzilla is the only Toho monster in this movie, no Rodan or Mothra or Hedorah or any other rumored kaiju. The monsters he is fighting will be 2 new original creations called Mutos (presumably one male [with flight] and one female [supposedly much larger]).

Some More links:

Official Main Trailer
International Trailer

It Can't Be Stopped TV spot
I Can't Believe This Is Happening TV spot
Whatever It Takes TV spot
Courage TV spot



What are your thoughts?

Share this post


Link to post

Brian Cranston is an amazing actor. Therefore I will expect this movie to have a high level of integrity.

Share this post


Link to post

I was actually in Japan for the Godzilla: Final Wars release, and got to see it on opening day, which was a day before my birthday. 'Twas quite fun ^_^ They handed out small figures with the tickets. I still have mine somewhere, though I think it's packed away at the moment.

Anyway, the new Godzilla movie looks like it finally shows that Hollywood can do a decent Godzilla movie. The other one with the iguana just didn't cut it. One thing I noticed in the trailers for the new one is that they hint that they tried using a nuclear weapon to kill it. So already it's better than the other American movie; Godzilla isn't supposed to be killed by rockets from jets.

Share this post


Link to post

Last time watched godzilla in 1998 in movies. Maybe I should also try this after 16 years. Just came from movies after watching 12 years a slave,most impressive movie with long silent shots, fine actors etc, I didnt know there were also kidnapped slaves.

Share this post


Link to post
yukib1t said:

I was actually in Japan for the Godzilla: Final Wars release, and got to see it on opening day, which was a day before my birthday. 'Twas quite fun ^_^ They handed out small figures with the tickets. I still have mine somewhere, though I think it's packed away at the moment.

Anyway, the new Godzilla movie looks like it finally shows that Hollywood can do a decent Godzilla movie. The other one with the iguana just didn't cut it. One thing I noticed in the trailers for the new one is that they hint that they tried using a nuclear weapon to kill it. So already it's better than the other American movie; Godzilla isn't supposed to be killed by rockets from jets.


Yeah, they said that the 1940's and 50's nuclear bomb tests were actually them trying to kill it. They threw in a lot of fan service with the 1954 reference, having Akira Takarada be a cameo, having the Japanese scientist (Ken Watanabe) supposedly be named Ishiro Serizawa or something like that. This movie is full of "hnnnnnnnng" at the moment.

Share this post


Link to post
Phobus said:

It's Gojira, you moron...

I suppose we should all call Sonic "Sonikku" instead? I don't see anything wrong with calling things by their localized names, so long as it isn't a total bastardization (unless you consider "Godzilla" to be too bastardized).

Share this post


Link to post
Sodaholic said:

I suppose we should all call Sonic "Sonikku" instead? I don't see anything wrong with calling things by their localized names, so long as it isn't a total bastardization (unless you consider "Godzilla" to be too bastardized).

I'm quoting the 90's American Godzilla. It's a joke :p

Share this post


Link to post
Phobus said:

I'm quoting the 90's American Godzilla. It's a joke :p

Heh, whoops. I've never seen that one, so I didn't know that was a reference.

Share this post


Link to post
Sodaholic said:

Heh, whoops. I've never seen that one, so I didn't know that was a reference.


Share this post


Link to post

*Expects Red and Solomon to show up and steal the show*

Share this post


Link to post

So after Pacific rim, are kaiju all the rage now?

Share this post


Link to post
PRIMEVAL said:

Yeah, they said that the 1940's and 50's nuclear bomb tests were actually them trying to kill it. They threw in a lot of fan service with the 1954 reference, having Akira Takarada be a cameo, having the Japanese scientist (Ken Watanabe) supposedly be named Ishiro Serizawa or something like that. This movie is full of "hnnnnnnnng" at the moment.

Yeah I noticed he was in the cast! He had played Ogata in the original film. I'm curious what they're going to do with Dr. Serizawa, though. In the 1954 movie his name was Daisuke Serizawa, so maybe... a cousin? Son? An evil clone created by the monsters from Space Hunter Nebula-M?

Krispy said:

So after Pacific rim, are kaiju all the rage now?

God, I hope so. I loooooooooove kaiju films.

Share this post


Link to post

Krispy, Godzilla was planned before Pacific Rim was ;)

yukib1t, this film is an origin film and it will not have any connection with the original series. Anything 1954 related in this film is merely just Gareth Edwards and the writers giving us a little nod, same with the scientist being named Serizawa. All little Easter eggs and fan service.

Share this post


Link to post

Godzilla: Final Wars was just a generic huge reptile defending its nest site, so I'm reserving judgement on this one until I've seen more than a few teaser trailers.

Share this post


Link to post
yukib1t said:

I am fangirling so hard right now.


As am I, my friend. As am I.

Share this post


Link to post

Just gonna leave this here and cry my manly tears of happiness.

Share this post


Link to post
GreyGhost said:

Godzilla: Final Wars was just a generic huge reptile defending its nest site


I think you're confusing Final Wars with Godzilla 1998. Hopefully this one will make people that haven't seen the other movies forget the '98 abomination.

Share this post


Link to post
Scet said:

I think you're confusing Final Wars with Godzilla 1998. Hopefully this one will make people that haven't seen the other movies forget the '98 abomination.

I kinda liked that godzilla. Hated everything else about the movie but the giant lizard was fun.

Share this post


Link to post

The Angry Video Game Nerd and the superb Godzilla Creepypasta have given me an interest in getting into Godzilla. Unfortunately, i saw the Matthew Broderick film. An absolute disaster. If that's what the American military can do - not be able to hit a 200 foot dinosaur with a special needs chin from the other side of the road - I might invade myself and become President. America clearly needs me. Not to mention the atrociously miscast leads, especially her who won a much deserved golden raspberry (although Broderick's acting sucked harder than she sucked that lollipop).

Where was I? Oh yes, the new Godzilla. Really got to say I don't think Hollywood has a fraction of the capability of the rest of the world, but I'll see it when it comes onto Sky Movies.

Share this post


Link to post
rf` said:

I kinda liked that godzilla. Hated everything else about the movie but the giant lizard was fun.


He is a cool monster, I just don't think he qualifies for Godzilla x)

Share this post


Link to post
Sodaholic said:

I suppose we should all call Sonic "Sonikku" instead? I don't see anything wrong with calling things by their localized names, so long as it isn't a total bastardization (unless you consider "Godzilla" to be too bastardized).


better than sonichu...

Share this post


Link to post
MajorRawne said:

Oh yes, the new Godzilla. Really got to say I don't think Hollywood has a fraction of the capability of the rest of the world


I believe Toho had quite a lot of input on this new movie, so it's not pure Hollywood. They were none too pleased with the Broderick disaster, and obviously don't want a repeat.

As for the 30-something other Godzilla movies, they probably have equally bad acting as the 1998 version, but I think the language barrier helps block it. Plus the rubber suit battles are awesome.

Share this post


Link to post

Saw a trailer in the cinema earlier for this. Pretty stoked now - it's definitely one I'll be seeing when it comes out.

Share this post


Link to post
Scet said:

As for the 30-something other Godzilla movies, they probably have equally bad acting as the 1998 version, but I think the language barrier helps block it. Plus the rubber suit battles are awesome.

A few had some pretty decent acting, and the first was really well done in that regard.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now