Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MeetyourUnmaker

Do you ever get a charlie horse?

I them sometimes. I got one this morning and like a reflex I immediately sprang up to put my foot on the ground to ease the pain. Have you any of you experienced the awful pain of charlie horses? Or even worse, cramps in the arch of your foot?

There was a point in my life where I didn't exercise enough, and whenever I slept in a poor position my back leg muscles cramped up. Shitty thing to wake up to; still woozy, I'd feel the distinctive feeling of the muscles being "stuck", knowing the moment I'd extend the leg the pain would start, and it would linger for a few hours.

I'd yell like a madman, too. Somehow, getting awakened by physical pain feels like someone is trying to murder you.

I sure gave a lot of charlie horse an awful pain when I was shooting them back in 'Nam.

You're doing it wrong, Charlie doesn't tranquillise horses. It's ketamine you're after.

Oy, don't bring that up again... I tried some ketamine not long after I came down with my illness to try to help with the pain (it's a long story), and hoo boy, that was interesting. Just ended up staring out the window for long periods of time because the world was all "melty" for lack of a better word. Pretty to look at, I'll admit, but man it reduced my attention span to about that of a goldfish. Couldn't focus on a damn thing besides, "ZOMG, the world is all melty, cool!"

geekmarine said:

I tried some ketamine... ended up staring out the window for long periods of time because the world was all "melty" for lack of a better word. Pretty to look at, I'll admit, but man it reduced my attention span to about that of a goldfish.

I hate that immense pain which you get by accidentally twisting your side too much whilst in bed.

I got them really bad in my teens. Not so much now. I experienced a couple a few nights ago, but I think my muscles were just tensing up due to the cold.

When I read "charlie horse" I expected it was some kind of toy horse...

I've had these a couple of times, I suppose. Or at least they were cramps. The last time I caught it just as it was about to happen and I actively massaged it out of existence before it managed to really take hold.

A couple of times back when I was less active I also experienced another perhaps scarier and stranger phenomenon. I woke up and my arm was hanging limp from my shoulder and I had no nerve control over it. After a minute or two it gradually came back to life but for a bit I feared it might need to be removed or something. It wasn't "paralyzed" and stiff like when the circulation is affected (a sleeping limb), but limp like the limb of a person that just died. I guess some nerve got pressed and lost "connectivity" with the arm as a whole.

myk said:

A couple of times back when I was less active I also experienced another perhaps scarier and stranger phenomenon. I woke up and my arm was hanging limp from my shoulder and I had no nerve control over it. After a minute or two it gradually came back to life but for a bit I feared it might need to be removed or something. It wasn't "paralyzed" and stiff like when the circulation is affected (a sleeping limb), but limp like the limb of a person that just died. I guess some nerve got pressed and lost "connectivity" with the arm as a whole.

That's happened to me a lot of times in the past, usually in the middle of the night I would wake up and would freak out about it as soon as I found it that way.

OH GOD.

When I was twelve, that happened to me. Except it wasn't just one arm. No, my body had to go full on and make both of my arms appear to have stopped working. It took ten(!) minutes before I could feel my limbs, then about five more before I could move them.

I sincerely thought I had become disabled.

MeetyourUnmaker said:

I them sometimes. I got one this morning and like a reflex I immediately sprang up to put my foot on the ground to ease the pain. Have you any of you experienced the awful pain of charlie horses? Or even worse, cramps in the arch of your foot?

They're a part of life for me, though one way to minimize leg cramps is by keeping your legs straight when sleeping. Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to do anything for foot cramps.

@myk - you most likely pinched a nerve while sleeping, I've done that a few times and it's no fun.

Some times when I'm falling asleep one of my limbs twitches, its weird because I cant control it and when it happens in class I yell out Woah! and everyone looks at me.

I, too, had to Google what the hell a charlie horse is.

But no, I don't get them. Though I do get foot cramps on occasion and they're remarkably painful.

I get constant but very light throbbing in my legs but I don't always notice it however.

If I walk very long distances for a while I get leg and feet cramps, I guess it's because of my BMD.

Quite a few times.

I had one just yesterday morning, actually.
Felt terrible for a few seconds.

The pain being able to last for more than a day scares and excites me.

I also didn't know what "charlie horse" means.

I occasionally get muscle spasms in my foot or legs, fortunately it mostly lasts less than a minute or two. It happens at random occasions, but most likely when I'm stretching a leg after not moving for a longer time, and when it's cold. There was a time (in winter, I think) when I was getting muscle spasms regularly in the middle of the night, and they lasted for longer than couple minutes, which was pretty uncomfortable. It's also unpleasant if it happens while swimming (I don't go swimming any often, but have the experience of muscle spasms in cold water).

I'm in my teens and my mom tells me it's because I'm growing and sometime a part in the muscle didn't grow up enough as the other part of the muscle, I regularly get one every week for 1-2 minutes, and the pain makes it look like an hour which automatically sucks.

I got one really bad back in high school during wrestling practice... My God it hurt so bad :/

I do get a really weird pain in my foot from time to time that feels as if it has been stretched far too much (usually on the right foot in between the big toe and the next one). Usually just moving the foot that has it around gets rid of it, but the pain is unlike no other I have had before (quite a weird feeling). I think that might be what you Americans call a "Charlie horse".

Got it this morning. It was scarier than usual, I think I still can feel the effects a little if I stretch my leg in a particular way.

Epic bump

Phml said:

There was a point in my life where I didn't exercise enough, and whenever I slept in a poor position my back leg muscles cramped up. Shitty thing to wake up to; still woozy, I'd feel the distinctive feeling of the muscles being "stuck", knowing the moment I'd extend the leg the pain would start, and it would linger for a few hours.

I'd yell like a madman, too. Somehow, getting awakened by physical pain feels like someone is trying to murder you.

Ugh, this describes it perfectly - Since getting my new job in the office early this year, its happened to me at least twice - really unpleasant. My wife was terrified when I woke her up by screaming like a psycho but the pain was so sudden and intense. It was sore for most of the day, not fun at all.