Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Breezeep

What got you to join Doomworld?

Thinking about it, it may have actually been to contribute to the 2006 Doom Advent Calendar, having heard about it on the ZDoom forums. My contribution was one of very few maps actually made and is Twisted Joke - surprisingly popular considering it's a load of ZDoom gimmicks. It was definitely one of those two projects that got me on here. Eventually I lost interest in the ZDoom community and got into more "pure" map design projects, so I'm solely here now.

I originally joined in 2002 on an older profile, but have since forgotten both login an password after roughly a 7/8 year absence.

When i returned i lurked for a few years before re-registering. I can't say what my reason for registering again was, other than i just felt like it.

I've been visiting Doomworld since the late 90s - stumbled on it trying to find a new copy of WinTex; it was a short while before the 10 Sectors contest - and sometime after that (not sure when exactly) I started following the forums. But it took me a long time to come around to the idea of registering - the merits of forum-based communication and interaction were unclear to me - and I think I only did it in the end because there was a /newstuff backlog and I (somewhat drunkenly) thought I'd be helpful and chip in with a review or two, which of course entailed that I register. I don't think that I actually got around to writing any reviews, though :/

I liked Doom since my early childhood, but it was only since the year 2010/11 when I learned about source ports, modding, Doom Builder and forums. Making maps and other things around Doom fascinated me (and still does, even though I found myself untalented). I eventually joined the DW forum to become part of the Dooming world, closer. I was shortly after 18th birthday when registering, for some reason I chose to wait for it.

Ribbiks said:

brutal doom.

I'm not even joking.

Well then, Ribbiks, how did you get into doom mapping?

scifista42 said:

I liked Doom since my early childhood, but it was only since the year 2010/11 when I learned about source ports, modding, Doom Builder and forums. Making maps and other things around Doom fascinated me (and still does, even though I found myself untalented). I eventually joined the DW forum to become part of the Dooming world, closer. I was shortly after 18th birthday when registering, for some reason I chose to wait for it.

This sounds almost exactly like what happened to me. Even the age. 0_o

Just like many other noob Doom modders, I was trying to recruit people to make a mod for me. This was back in late 2001.

Thank god i got over that and decided to stick around for the people and the Doom mods and wads.

Breezeep said:

Well then, Ribbiks, how did you get into doom mapping?

been obsessed with creating shit since forever. started mapping as a kid whenever Hellmaker existed (had a mac family), made like a bajillion vanilla maps just for myself because I didn't know communities existed.. also I was like 10 or whatever. They all got lost in a harddrive failure or something. years later, discover legacy, jdoom. years later, discover windows emulation (holy shit, I can use all the kickass tools and ports everyone else can use, yay!), discover zdoom, download brutal doom because it's popular or some shit, had question about something --> found doomworld. huzzah!

fun thing I just remembered: my parents weren't 100% fond of all the demonic imagery and shit, given how young I was I guess. when my mother downloaded hellmaker for me she renamed the executable "doommaker" :D

I lurked for a while, and then as it turns out I wanted a screencap of the intermission screens (without all the stats and text) for reasons that escape me now. Deadnail handsomely supplied them.

My earliest memory of Doom was while my cousin was playing it during Christmas a long time ago, I seem to recall seeing a level with brown bricks and brown slime, I seem to think it was of the Aztec map in Plutonia but I'm not at all that sure, and at another occasion I remember seeing my cousin play Doom 64 in the Watch Your Step map.

In 1997 my childhood school friend had a N64 while my brother also had one, he had a copy of Doom 64 which I borrowed from him and played a bit of on my brothers N64.

Some time between 2004/2006 I was at TAFE for an IT course, during my break at some stage I found out about emulation and download a GBA emulator at some stage, I eventually found a Doom 1 and 2 GBA rom and played them at home on my families desktop PC.

In 2008 I discovered an unsecured internet connection nearby from home from some coffee place not that far from me while using my laptop, after using it for a few days I wanted to look for the older Doom games I never had a chance to buy when my family got a desktop but without internet in 2000.

I obtained the games and downloaded the Doom 95 source port to play them, I then found out about Doomworld and lurked it for a year downloading some wads and mods until I finally decided to join in mid 2009, but I didn't have the nerve to post until November while I was at TAFE for a programming course during my break.

I loved Doom since 1993. A long time ago, my uncle used to say, "the best thing about Doom, is that people can change it." I've been aware of Doomworld for sometime. But it was actually after I played Brutal Doom, that I was inspired to creates some maps of my own. Once I started to create my own custom textures, it became the catalyst to endeavor to modify it further. Thus, I joined DW to show people my maps, and stuff.

Ribbiks said:

been obsessed with creating shit since forever. started mapping as a kid whenever Hellmaker existed (had a mac family), made like a bajillion vanilla maps just for myself because I didn't know communities existed.. also I was like 10 or whatever. They all got lost in a harddrive failure or something. years later, discover legacy, jdoom. years later, discover windows emulation (holy shit, I can use all the kickass tools and ports everyone else can use, yay!), discover zdoom, download brutal doom because it's popular or some shit, had question about something --> found doomworld. huzzah!

fun thing I just remembered: my parents weren't 100% fond of all the demonic imagery and shit, given how young I was I guess. when my mother downloaded hellmaker for me she renamed the executable "doommaker" :D

Wow, I didn't know you were that young when you first played doom.

I was looking for Tutorials for the DeepSea editor, before I wass redirected too DoomBuilder. No idea why the hell I stuck around with you people.

I posted a thread about sky3 from Plutonia on Zdoom, and this was at a time when Zdoom's forums were strictly meant for Zdoom, so I was pointed to Doomworld for my more general questions. Therefore, I joined.

I was creeping round these forums back when my primary school decided the brilliant idea of giving us internet privileges.

This is when I didn't know Doom had versions outside the PSX version, I was absolutely confused at the mention of Plutonia MAP31.

So when I finally got a personal use toaster computer, I signed up right away.

That, and Katamori's LPs of Doom.

I played doom since i was 6 (1994) at my uncles. then i played maximum doom and remember playing njdoom 2 and i liked it a lot. found out there were level paks here so for a long time i lurked the forums and downloaded megawads.

i was lurking since 2001 downloading stuff from idGames. in 2005, i joined since i finally felt like participating in a forum. this is the only forum i'm an active member of and it's because i'm such a doom fan.

To play and talk about other peoples WADs, and to get feedback on my own stuff. Later on I realized there's a lot more to ths forum too - Lots of interesting discussion, and garbage threads are always hell'd, where as on many gaming forums it's total retardation and anarchy. Nonna that shit here!

Between Newdoom, DoomCenter and Doomworld, this was actually the last one I registered on. I think it might have been after DoomCenter closed down. Can't quite recall because that was a long time ago now.

The sex. I joined in 2002 I think then rejoined in 2005.

I didn't actually remember until I reverse-searched my name, but apparently I came seeking advice on how to make the gun mimic the bobbing path of the 0.4 alpha.

TheCupboard - yours are cool too. The maps I made were 1,3,4,5,9,22,23,26,27.

myk - that's awesome that you downloaded it when it was new! Where did you find it? I'd let people download it from me on Napster/audiognome and then hopefully other people would download it from them, etc.

Ribbiks - that's cool that you could make maps so young. I wanted to make maps in the 90's during my teens and downloaded a couple editors but I had no idea how to make maps or even play pwads.

walter confalonieri said:

Asking for Deathmatch stuff with zdoom back in 2004 with the monicker of daimon

and all this time I thought it was to farm posts.