Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Infirnex

Hatred - Is there a line that can be crossed?

Does Hatred take violence in games too far?  

105 members have voted

1. 1. Does Hatred take violence in games too far?

• Yes, it does go beyond what is acceptable.
    • No, it is fine for what is considered fine.
    • I don't really care, honestly.
    • Impse 1
    • Impse 2

Guys this is not about being a moral crusader at all but guys these devs may be neo-nazis.

Pick one.

Of course you can go for both angles, just don't pretend you're only concerned about the game if you're making a stink about the people.

Loving how this tangent pops up right after we had that little chat about dehumanization, Infirnex explicitely pointing out nazis as politically correct targets.

I want to be able to kill children too. I was able to do that in fallout 1,2, so why not in fallout 3, F:NV or Skyrim etc etc? I also want to be able to rape or eat people and their corpses. I want a virtual reality where I can do anything I could do in real world, but without consequences. I also want the in game npc to be more inteligent and have deeper personalities, it is no fun to kill mindless bots. This game, could be better. I wont pay for it, but I might try it, if I get opportunity to play it for free.

Pretty lolz that this game was announced right after Anita Sarkeesian recieved a death threat. Even funnier is the reaction this game is getting from people.

Technician said:

Can I get a link so I read about it?

Sodaholic said:

a source would be interesting to see.

Not that I give a damn, but this is the best I could do.

Certain members of Destructive Creations do seem to support certain far-right ideologies, if their t-shirts and Facebook habits are anything to go by. Whether this means the whole team are neo-nazis remains to be clarified.

DooM_RO said:

Even funnier is the reaction this game is getting from people.

I'm probably enveloped in the safety of a mysoginistic, cis-gendered, white-privileged upper class environment, but just waltzing through my daily internets shows none of these "the reaction"s you and some other guys in this thread keep referring to. Disregarding YT comments as a vehicle for opinions (heh), this is the most heated thread I've seen - and it's actually quite balanced and reasonable. Can I get some outrage links? Feminazis tearing their genitals and rallying lynch mobs? In my filtered world, it's almost as if the humanity recognizes the game for over the top trolling and reacts with a cold thumbdown.

DooM_RO said:

Pretty lolz that this game was announced right after Anita Sarkeesian recieved a death threat.

Yes, death threats make everything funnier. Good going.

Sokoro said:

I want to be able to kill children too. I was able to do that in fallout 1,2, so why not in fallout 3, F:NV or Skyrim etc etc? I also want to be able to rape or eat people and their corpses. I want a virtual reality where I can do anything I could do in real world, but without consequences. I also want the in game npc to be more inteligent and have deeper personalities, it is no fun to kill mindless bots. This game, could be better. I wont pay for it, but I might try it, if I get opportunity to play it for free.

Oh Why was your custom title ever removed!? WTF!

Doominator2 said:

Oh Why was your custom title ever removed!? WTF!

"Cool kids aren't backseat mods."

I was not the one who started this thread, you brought it on yourselves.

He was asking about a line that can be crossed, well there is still a lot of ways this game could go futher behind the line.

Are you that easly offended by few words that I write on keyboard?

Sokoro said:

"Cool kids aren't backseat mods."

I was not the one who started this thread, you brought it on yourselves.

He was asking about a line that can be crossed, well there is still a lot of ways this game could go futher behind the line.

Are you that easly offended by few words that I write on keyboard?

I'm not offended, you just say alot of ridiculous things with out a second thought.

This thread almost feels like a trap waiting to be sprung. Every post made
here has an opening towards the 'hater' soon to possibly attack the game.
The posts just read as if people are on their toes, balancing the
'i do not mind this game' with the 'what would people think off me' factor.

J.B.R said:

I might try this game, but not now

Well, it's not released yet so you couldn't do so even if you wanted to.

J.B.R said:

it might get cancelled due to the controversy.

I highly doubt it, I think they wanted controversy as a marketing ploy.

I find it creepy how the devs refer to their trailer as "propaganda" and how the main character calls his actions "genocide". Ordinarily I think of the word genocide as more of a generic term for mass slaughter, but given the context of right-wing extremism, it doesn't bode too well here. I don't know the full details behind their politics, but I know enough to know that I don't like them and won't be supporting them anytime in the near future.

Besides which, we still have more Postal to look forward to.

Well, I can tell you one thing; there's sure as hell going to be lots of controversy over this game when it releases, that's for sure.

Conceptually, Hatred seems like a shitty game, but that's not a reason enough for it not to exist. In terms of violence the developers are free to have as much of it going on as they want to - it's our part as potential customers to decide whether we'd want to play what they're making or not. Mechanically, though, it seems like nothing more than a horde mode game where most of the targets are running from you instead of trying to kill you. Horde modes are ridiculously boring as is, and if most of the "enemies" aren't even going to pose a threat in Hatred, it's sounding like the most tedious game ever. Skip.

Infirnex said:

Also, Hatred steals the Doom font for it's logo.

The Doom logo, which itself is the most original thing ever.

dew said:

I'm probably enveloped in the safety of a mysoginistic, cis-gendered, white-privileged upper class environment, but just waltzing through my daily internets shows none of these "the reaction"s you and some other guys in this thread keep referring to. Disregarding YT comments as a vehicle for opinions (heh), this is the most heated thread I've seen - and it's actually quite balanced and reasonable. Can I get some outrage links?

Not exactly outrage link, but according to GamesNosh, it's gotten copious amount of attention.

Excerpt:

The response from gaming websites will be unsurprising to some. A quick look at the headlines will show the most outraged reactions: “The Worst Trailer of the Year Revels in Slaughtering Innocents” from Polygon, Crave Online writes “This is By Far the Most Offensive Video Game Trailer Ever”, “Hatred is An Offensive Premise Described As ‘Fun'” according to GameZone, Canada.com claims “‘Hatred’ the Video Game Shouldn’t Exist and is Disgusting”, while Guardian Liberty Voice declare that “Video Games [Are] Brought To a New Low By ‘Hatred'”. In an interview with Game Center Online Destructive Creations creative director Jarosław Zieliński explains “we didn’t know that it will become THAT big. We knew there will be a shitstorm on the web, but it’s scale is enormous. Hey, we did even had an article in Forbes (with negative attitude of course), that’s insane!”

Now, it's only matter of watching and waiting - to see how this goes out...

Funny how this trailer is so offensive.
It's the fact that there were trailers like this before, people didn't care and technology wasn't so advanced as today.

This reeks of manipulated gaming magzines and engineered reviews. Going purely on the
trailer this games has less 'fake violence' and 'substance' then most adult games
ever made between the year 2000 and now...

My feelings on a game like this are very complicated but passionate. I believe the best way I could possibly word them is "meh".

FireFish said:

This reeks of manipulated gaming magzines and engineered reviews. Going purely on the
trailer this games has less 'fake violence' and 'substance' then most adult games
ever made between the year 2000 and now...

Really? Do you think these polish developers manipulated the magazines and reviews? They dont seem to have enough influence to do that.

They do contradicted themselves with the trailer though. First they said that the game was pure gameplay, no story, or anything "deeper" to excuse, explain, whatever the violence. But then they said there was some social commentary on the actions the player would do. Big contradiction there.

DooM_RO said:

Pretty lolz that this game was announced right after Anita Sarkeesian recieved a death threat.

True face of gamergate right there.

gamergaters gamergate gamergaters:
unjustified posts and references to gamergate, ruining a thread

gamergate is the bigest piece of bullshit ever, spewed by the mentaly ill tards posting in
many /b's of many #chan style websites. There is no gaming schandal, rape culture, woman hate,
extreme feminism, or corruption on a 'shandal' scale anywhere... for f's sake most people
freaking out over this are full blown adult men following a unidentified mentally ill leader over
the edge...

this report represents what gamergate is ;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMSH17zDnKs

Excuse my outburst but i am sick and tired of this meaningless fake schandal and it supporters...
It originated on a damn site where people post mutilated animals and amoral illegaly photoshoped minors
because it amuses them, because it is funny to them...

FireFish said:

gamergate is the bigest piece of bullshit ever, spewed by the mentaly ill tards posting in
many /b's of many #chan style websites. There is no gaming schandal, rape culture, woman hate,
extreme feminism, or corruption on a 'shandal' scale anywhere... for f's sake most people
freaking out over this are full blown adult men following a unidentified mentally ill leader over
the edge...

this report represents what gamergate is ;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMSH17zDnKs

Excuse my outburst but i am sick and tired of this meaningless fake schandal and it supporters...
It originated on a damn site where people post mutilated animals and amoral illegaly photoshoped minors
because it amuses them, because it is funny to them...

Gamergate is a consumer rights movement. It has women, minorities, and yes, feminists on its side. The corrupt gaming media and its supporters are just scared that this movement will continue into the winter season, meaning into the holiday sales season. It's not slowing down anytime soon.

doomgargoyle said:

It's not slowing down anytime soon.

You got that right at least. Seems like it's every couple of days now that we hear news about another woman being driven out of her home and into hiding by death threats, something that's been going on for months now.

fraggle said:

You got that right at least. Seems like it's every couple of days that we hear news about another woman being driven out of her home by death threats, something that's been going on for months now.

You mean Brianna Wu? First off, she's not even a real woman. And she has been proven to have doxxed herself. She agreed to give an interview with the Breitbart guy shortly before giving them the finger, and going to msnbc to that completely one-sided, not factually interview. Also, the "threats" are not coming from #Gamergate, but from these douchebags trying to bring attention to their own sites.

doomgargoyle said:

You mean Brianna Wu? First off, she's not even a real woman.

Oh my bad. It looks like the death threats were completely justified after all.

Nothing like throwing a bit of transphobia into the mix for some A++++ solid gamergate logic