Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
geX

Fallout 4 reveal

geo said:

To further this discussion, which city does everyone want to see for Fallout 4? Moscow? Detroit? Seattle? Houston?

Considering the devs were spotted taking photos around Boston, a discusion of what city we want would seem moot.

NiGHTMARE said:

Considering the devs were spotted taking photos around Boston, a discusion of what city we want would seem moot.

Ahhh that's cool... did not know that. Besides Todd Howard, I have no idea what those guys look like.

One hour left to go....

NiGHTMARE said:

Somebody on Reddit pointed out yesterday that one of the files on the website is "institute.js." Guess what institute that is.

Who gives a shit about faggy Fallout? Where's ma Doom 4?!

Seriously, once this goes live I'm gonna spam the comments section with "Where's Doom 4". These cunts deserve no better.

What? I like Fallout, but its fans are some of the most obnoxious people I've ever seen on YouTube. Everytime Bethesda post a video about some new video games besides Fallout or TES, they're like "WTF is this garbage, where's my Fallout?" over and over and over again.

DooM_RO said:

What? I like Fallout, but its fans are some of the most obnoxious people I've ever seen on YouTube.

So you're going to lump yourself right in with them by being equally obnoxious?
Don't get me wrong I agree, but come on, we're all better than that!

Graphically it looks really good. So I'm looking forward to the moment they downgrade it and see everybody pissed off, like with Witcher 3.

EDIT: I also like it how with DOOM4 they've showcased 3sec of nothing after a clunky (and worthless) beta announcement and a secret demo, stretching the whole thing for well over a year but with F4 they've immediately released a 3min in-game trailer. Sigh.

Loved that trailer. Colourful and full of life (heehee). Almost had an Elder Scroll-ish epic vibe to it. Graphic-wise, I know it's not what people were expecting but it does look good and now I'm just dying for some actual gameplay!

I want to know the lore behind the U.S.S. Constitution sporting jet engines. That has to be funny.

I said it before the Skyrim release and was disappointed, but I really hope they took a cue from writing in NV. It's nice when the factions and quests have effects.

Aliotroph? said:

I said it before the Skyrim release and was disappointed, but I really hope they took a cue from writing in NV. It's nice when the factions and quests have effects.

What, you don't like that you can murder the Emperor and then they let you join the Imperial Legion?

Bethesda seems to believe that if you get locked out of a quest line because of a choice you made in another, players will complain about the "bug". Either that or they're aware there's so little content they're creating that every part of it should be allowed in any playthrough, no matter what the players do, otherwise they'll discover how short the game really is.

One of my favorite parts about FO:NV was the fact that you didn't play as a vault dweller. I'm hoping they don't force you to play one in FO:4 because it's getting kind of old at this point.

Never played a Fallout game but I think I might pick this one up and give the franchise a try. I hear it's very open world with lots to explore. Probably a really fun way to kill some free time. That trailer was awesome too. Practically sold.

Gez said:

What, you don't like that you can murder the Emperor and then they let you join the Imperial Legion?

Bethesda seems to believe that if you get locked out of a quest line because of a choice you made in another, players will complain about the "bug". Either that or they're aware there's so little content they're creating that every part of it should be allowed in any playthrough, no matter what the players do, otherwise they'll discover how short the game really is.

Never mind being locked out of a quest line. Skyrim refused to even lock you out of dialogue options with a specific quest. You could try them all! It was like the scripts were written by small children!

Thanks for reminding me why I'm too lazy to set up Skyrim again. I think I'll go see if my Steam backup of NV worked properly. :D

Captain Red said:

So when does Obsidian start working on New Vegas 2?

Never going to happen. Obsidian and Bethesda had a bit of a falling out (pun intended) after New Vegas. Bethesda promised them a bonus payment and royalties from the sale of the game if it achieved a Metacritic score of 85 or above. Well, it got an 84, and Bethesda refused to pay anything above the original contracted amount. So naturally the folks at Obsidian were a little bit pissed about that, and as such it's extremely improbable that they will ever work on another Fallout game. Which is a shame, New Vegas was far better than Fallout 3.

If I recall correctly Bethesda used the excuse that Obsidian shipped a glitchy game, which it was full of glitches, I bought it on release day and it glitched and crashed constantly before it was patched. However Obsidian countered that Bethesda forced them to release the game for the holiday season even though it wasn't ready.

So yeah, bad blood. But still, I enjoy me some Fallout, and I'm going to get Fallout 4, assuming the reviews are good. I might wait a month or two after it comes out though, since Bethesda takes their sweet time fixing the mountain of glitches their games have.

I believe Chris Avellone himself has stated that their isn't bad blood between Bethesda and Obsidian dispute that crummy move regarding meta critic on Bethesdas behalf, and that he wouldn't turn down the opportunity to work with fallout again (though I'd imagine they might ask for a different contract).

Not that that means we're getting another Obsidian fallout game any time soon.

I don't even care for Fallout but there are some really weird reactions to the trailer. Like people saying it looks cartoony or that it reminds them of Borderlands. Come again? If anything it reminds me of RAGE, no wonder they cancelled RAGE 2 (har har, but hey... maybe?). Also I think the graphics are fine, especially the environments. They're not groundbreaking and the animations are kind of stiff but it looks nice overally.

Finally, just in case you wonder, it's clear why other Bethesda-published games get 3sec teasers and hundreds of trailers, begging for attention. A single F4 trailer gathered 6,5m views in less than 24h. Combined views of all other videos from the last 6+ months would probably not reach that number.

Okay, so a bit of a derail, but is anyone else rolling their eyes at the whole "Let's rebuild civilization by downgrading to outdated software and hardware" concept? I'm not really familiar with the Fallout series at all, so of course I'm speaking of out of ignorance... But if some sort of post-apocalyptic situation did force us to rebuild civilization, it would actually be very difficult to reverse engineer computers that were popular literally centuries before anyone in the game was presumably born. That's about as smart as trying to reintroduce the Model T merely because it was from a simpler time. It would require an immense amount of research, since that sort of technology is now obscure; obviously, the easiest solution would be to develop computers close to what was available before the fallout. But then, you wouldn't have the cute nostalgic aesthetic the Fallout games are known for.

GoatLord said:

Okay, so a bit of a derail, but is anyone else rolling their eyes at the whole "Let's rebuild civilization by downgrading to outdated software and hardware" concept? I'm not really familiar with the Fallout series at all, so of course I'm speaking of out of ignorance... But if some sort of post-apocalyptic situation did force us to rebuild civilization, it would actually be very difficult to reverse engineer computers that were popular literally centuries before anyone in the game was presumably born. That's about as smart as trying to reintroduce the Model T merely because it was from a simpler time. It would require an immense amount of research, since that sort of technology is now obscure; obviously, the easiest solution would be to develop computers close to what was available before the fallout. But then, you wouldn't have the cute nostalgic aesthetic the Fallout games are known for.

The Fallout series is set in an alternate timeline where the transistor was only invented at some point in the late 2050s or early 2060s, whereas in real life it was invented in 1947. As the atomic war broke out in 2067, their use never became especially widespread, so the vast majority of computers in the setting use vacuum tubes and are only about as powerful as real world computers were in the 1970s. Microprocessors do exist, but are extremely rare - you only see them in things like energy weapons and the odd AI system.

As Boston is home to one of the most technologically advanced societies still existing in the Fallout universe (of those currently known, anyway) which is known to have created sentient computers and androids, presumably microprocessors will be much more common in Fallout 4 than in previous games.

Touchdown said:

I don't even care for Fallout but there are some really weird reactions to the trailer. Like people saying it looks cartoony or that it reminds them of Borderlands. Come again? If anything it reminds me of RAGE, no wonder they cancelled RAGE 2 (har har, but hey... maybe?). Also I think the graphics are fine, especially the environments. They're not groundbreaking and the animations are kind of stiff but it looks nice overally.

Fallout 1, 2, & 3 came out before Rage though. As for the graphics, I think that it is rather odd they would make it compare it to Borderlands.

When it comes to reactions that we may find stupid. We must take this into account:

"Average" is still pretty dull.

Gez said:

Aliotroph? said:

Never mind being locked out of a quest line. Skyrim refused to even lock you out of dialogue options with a specific quest. You could try them all! It was like the scripts were written by small children!

This guy pretty much made a dissertation on this; its worth a watch.