Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

Why I think Donald Trump running for president is a good thing

It appears that some people aren't happy with Donald Trump, but most of them appear to disagree with his political views anyway.

While I don't live in the US, I personally think what he is doing is great for 2 reasons:

1. He appears to be willing to talk about important issues that the mainstream politicians are too afraid to touch.

2. He is challenging the status-quo.

I think number 2 is extremely important. Yea I know he is a rich guy and that it's pretty much the only reason anybody is even listening to him, but still. This is a guy who just basically said to himself "fuck it I have money so why not just use it to mess with the pre-existing political elite? I am rich so I don't need to whore myself to others for money lol".

Regardless of what you actually think of Trump's political views, don't you think it's nice that somebody is actually challenging the status quo for once? Even if it's just a rich asshole who's opinions you might not even like?

SavageCorona said:

He's said some of the most vile things I've heard before as well as putting a stock image of Nazis in his propaganda.

If by vile things you mean actually pointing out that having completely open borders isn't working and is creating social problems in the west, then sure.

The only thing I've actually seen him do is talk shit on other candidates and call Mexicans a bunch of rapists and murderers. What are these important social issues he's tackling?

hardcore_gamer said:

1. He appears to be willing to talk about important issues that the mainstream politicians are too afraid to touch.

He's spouting the same shit that every racist in America is spouting, if you're referring to the comments he made about people entering in from Mexico being rapists and druglords ("and some, I ASSUME, are good people"). The real problem is that the current policies in place make it far too difficult to get into the country legally. But Republicans realize that instead of fixing the current immigration system, it's much more advantageous to completely close the borders altogether to ensure Texas has enough of a white majority to keep it red for a few more years.

Or are you referring to him bringing up that idiotic notion that Obama isn't a US citizen, despite the fact that he's already gotten to the point that he's had to share his birth certificate with the world, something no US president has ever had to do before?

2. He is challenging the status-quo.

Are you just spouting political buzzwords now? Everything that Trump envisions is standard right-wing policies. How is that against the 'status quo'? If you're referring to the fact that he's never been to Washington before, that's not necessarily a good thing. That means he has zero experience doing anything in politics, and guess what? The moment he gets elected president (God help us), not only is he now a Washington insider, but he becomes a magical version of a Washington insider with zero knowledge of foreign policy and a financial track record of failure. The only reason he has money at all is because his daddy gave it to him. He's literally a joke.

Donald Trump is what happens when a lobbyist billionaire decides to cut out the middle man and run for president himself.

I have absolutely no idea what happened, but ever since 2010 most of the Republican candidates have been absolutely insane. There's less people like Bob Dole and George H.W Bush and more people like Sarah Palin.

Bucket said:

The only thing I've actually seen him do is talk shit on other candidates and call Mexicans a bunch of rapists and murderers. What are these important social issues he's tackling?

The failure of free immigration, the failure of free trade policies (well technically he doesn't want to end all free trade, he just doesn't want free trade with nations like China whom he says are cheating), and probably a bunch of other things.

I think his willingness to speak out against free immigration and the idea that free trade is a sacred economy policy that can't go wrong is a pretty big deal. The traditional right-wing forces in the west haven't really been willing to say those things, and it's one of the reasons for why new political forces like UKIP, the Swedish democrats, and Front Nationale are growing across Europe. Many people are just tired of this shit, and now many non-traditional politicians are starting to capitalize on it. Trump appears to merely be one more example of this happening.

EDIT: Wagi's reply above is also a good example of why many people who aren't liberals are starting to see movements and people like Trump as more and more attractive. The left in the west appears to be utterly unwilling to admit the failure of their immigration and cultural policies and just shouts insults (racist, bigot etc) at anyone who disagree with them. Well people don't seem to accepting that shit anymore.

If and when he properly discloses his assets (which he has been overstating for years now), maybe I'll think of this as more than a simple publicity stunt. It'll become a committed, drawn-out publicity stunt.

Sure, politics can use more people who aren't pawns in the pockets of groups with money, but I don't think this guy is much of an answer. I'm not seeing him bring anything new to the table.

Bucket said:

That ^^^

I think its a great thing because he'll realize how powerless the President really is. He's just a face to take the blame when congress and the senate have the real power. This isn't a monarchy or dictatorship.

He's a dickhead that his new real estates go bankrupt. "Build it. Bankrupt it." That way he doesn't have to pay out to creditors. Its a good tactic.

He's got a round face like Nixon and GW Bush. Leaders have tall faces like Inspector Gadget or like every other president.

Trump talks a lot of shit. He's a water balloon full of piss. Handle him delicately or he'll go off. Even things that are widely known knowledge I've seen him argue about because you don't tell him anything, because he'll tell you!

Thanks to my politician step father, I've met Donald Trump before. In person. I've shoot his hand and his doofis son. The one with the dark hair.

"I will build a great wall — and nobody builds walls better than me, believe me —and I’ll build them very inexpensively. I will build a great, great wall on our southern border, and I will make Mexico pay for that wall. Mark my words". -Donald Trump

“I’m not saying they’re stupid. I like China. I just sold an apartment for $15 million. Am I supposed to dislike ‘em? … People say you don’t like China. No, I love them. But their leaders are much smarter than our leaders. And we can’t sustain ourselves with that. It’s like, take the New England Patriots and Tom Brady and have them play your high school football team." -Donald Trump

"I am a nice person. People that know me like me, does my family like me? I think so." -Donald Trump

"I love the Saudis; many are in this building." -Donald Trump

What a Professional guy.

I like the idea that currently the USA have "free immigration". Yeah, right. A huge fuck-off fence across the desert, border patrols, vigilante groups shooting down immigrants, all that sort of things is synonymous with "free immigration" to you?

However, here's why I think Donald Trump running for president is a good thing: he'll destroy the Republicans' chance of winning the 2016 elections, allowing for a Bernie Sanders victory.

Gez said:

allowing for a Bernie Sanders victory.

Bernie Sanders has almost zero chance of getting the nomination. He's got barely 11% in Vermont and New Hampshire despite having 80-90% name recognition there. He has even less of a chance elsewhere. He only really polls well with extremely liberal, white Democrats.

Don't make Mexico pay... make the Cartel pay. Make the mafia in NY pay... well Rudy did a good enough job of that. Make all 100,000 gang members in Chicago pay. Supposedly that's a real number. Not sure how, but whatever.

There's shit that needs doing here first.

Dude doesn't even run for a small office to prove he's capable. Even Hillary and Obama were / are senators. Donald Dump hasn't even been in office.

LOL about the Saudis I need to remember that one.

"I love the Mexi's; many of them are in in my town."

Something I notice about the way he speaks, he uses a lot of positive adjectives. ALWAYS. Its not just a building, its a luxurious building. Its not just a pinto, its a fabulous pinto. Its not just a rowboat, its a pristine rowboat.

hardcore_gamer said:

Ironic that you put it 1st on your list of "assets": that's usually the #1 issue that prevents otherwise remarkable individuals from getting ahead in politics.

In order to become a polician, he'd need to avoid those touchy subjects. And conversely, if he was meant to be a politician, he'd avoid those touchy subjects in the first place.

Trump is a cunt. Therefore I do not see how him running is challenging the status-quo at all. :P

He's never held a government office and people are okay with that. I should go and apply to be an airline pilot. Have you ever flown a plane before? No but I've driven a car for however many decades. I should be good thanks.

Mit Romney is a white billionaire and look how he did.

Of course Illinois new governor who has never held a government office, Bruce "Mr. Burns" Rauner has been governor for a few months now and since then I've heard nothing about him.

At least with our last governor he hired back all the iDot workers that the previous governor laid off due to budgets. All of our roads are fresh... and probably didn't need to be, but whatever. Our last governor is also the guy that managed to live on minimum wage for a week.

On second thought Bruce did manage to lose the other half of his hair in about 6 months in office. It completes the full Mr. Burns look.

Gez said:

I like the idea that currently the USA have "free immigration". Yeah, right. A huge fuck-off fence across the desert, border patrols, vigilante groups shooting down immigrants, all that sort of things is synonymous with "free immigration" to you?

No I meant that he DOESN'T want free immigration. Sounds good to me. You can put your head into the sand all you want, liberal immigration and cultural polices aren't working. Perhaps it's harder for the US to enforce immigration laws than it is for other nations because of your massive borders, but it isn't for everybody else. Hell, my own country barely had any immigration at all until globalization became a thing.

Maes said:

Ironic that you put it 1st on your list of "assets": that's usually the #1 issue that prevents otherwise remarkable individuals from getting ahead in politics.

In order to become a polician, he'd need to avoid those touchy subjects. And conversely, if he was meant to be a politician, he'd avoid those touchy subjects in the first place.

To a certain degree you are right, but at some point problems that are ignored continue to grow until the people who are ignoring them just harm themselves by doing so. The immigration debate in the west is a perfect example. In the past nobody would have guessed that far-right parties would be growing so heavily in popularity.

Also, is it just me or is Doomworld very politically liberal? Or perhaps it isn't and members with liberal views are merely more likely to respond to political threads? It appears to be a general rule of thumb that every time somebody creates a political thread most of the replies are from unhappy liberals with the occasional conservative or libertarian leaving a comment or two.

Marnetmar said:

I hope he renames the White House to the Trump House.

Comedy Central pseudo reality show!

With his name on the top of it.

The only reason that Trump running for president is a good thing is that it guarantees the Republicans will lose.

hardcore_gamer said:

If by vile things you mean actually pointing out that having completely open borders isn't working and is creating social problems in the west, then sure.

I'm pretty sure he's spoken out against the LGBT community before. But I won't open that can of worms here.

SavageCorona said:

I'm pretty sure he's spoken out against the LGBT community before. But I won't open that can of worms here.

One worm for every color of the rainbow like a bag of gummy worms!

hardcore_gamer said:

That made me lol really, really hard.

moron alert.

Mogul said:

moron alert.

I spotted a trend. Go me!!!

Spoiler

Mogul said:

Moron alert. D3's art direction remains a high water mark of the industry.

Mogul said:

moron alert

Mogul said:

^ moron alert.

Mogul said:

Wow, you're really a moron.

Mogul said:

CPL announced they were doing this probably six months ago or more, you moron.

Mogul said:

I would go on, because it's been like, a year since my last long rant in relation to a moron, but I have to go. :/ Be back in two days.

Mogul said:

Nightmare Doom, you are an absolute moron. Granted, you used to be much worse and you've definitely improved, but I think it's time for you to go.

W00t or something. :P

Enjay said:

I spotted a trend. Go me!!!

A fair point.

Mogul, if you have nothing interesting to contribute other than insulting people, please don't comment.

SavageCorona said:

I'm surprised that didn't make it into a custom title. "Moron pointer outer" or "Moron Police"

Moron Member

fraggle said:

The only reason that Trump running for president is a good thing is that it guarantees the Republicans will lose.

Because the Democrats are so much better, right?