Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Enderkevin13

I Wanna Marry Windows 10 Now

david_a said:

Satirical cartoon of alleged die-hard windows XP basement dweller

Using a LCD monitor with XP? That ain't hardcore 'nuff, bro.

I have windows 7 and ms are wanting to give me windows 10 for free as an upgrade. Figured I would ask here first. Good idea or bad idea? Its for my laptop w 2.33 ghZ dual core 4 gb ram. Have done a bit of research but have come to no real conclusion yet... edit nvm crowd seems split. Hah i did see that windows 10 commercial about how the kids will grow up with it and whatever else they are trying to imply .... like and .... all adults will be stupid and computer illiterate?

I've only had 10 for a day now but so far it seems alright, it's like a big patch for 8.1, smooth transition. I think 7 isn't going anywhere anytime soon however and it impresses me how popular XP is still. I loved XP but I can't see myself going back to it. Might build another computer with 7 on it just as a failsafe if 10 does anything retarded to my games.

I'm waiting.

On the surface it appears to look ok, but every time someone digs deeper some nasty things get uncovered. I have a deep distrust for anything related to the Cloud, so any system that is so intrinsically tied to the OS's maker's cloud services is a no-go for me. Too bad that Linux is not an option when it comes to usability because too much software is just not available, but as things go, Windows needs to disappear.

I had to switch to 8.1 because I needed that to develop Windows Store software, but seeing that those are as DOA as Windows Phone I see no pressing need to switch to a potentially dangerous OS.

BTW, many of those (non-)privacy settings are just a lawsuit waiting to happen in many countries.

Still on Windows 7 here. Going to wait this one out. I mean why fix it if it's not broken? I'd rather install Windows 2000 on an old PC and run all the old Doom games etc. Had problems running on my old Doom 2 CD ROM on Windows 7 also.

I'm not far off needing to do a new system build as I'm still on socket 775 here.

There are two things in my head atm: will larger capacity SSD prices fall much if I wait a bit longer, and will 10 be any good or should I reuse 7 for the foreseeable.

I've just cobbled an mATX system together with cheap bits mostly laying around, socket 754 Sempron etc. with a view to testing 10 on something that's only just capable of running it..

pritch said:

I've just cobbled an mATX system together with cheap bits mostly laying around, socket 754 Sempron etc. with a view to testing 10 on something that's only just capable of running it..

Is that less powerful than a Dell Mini 1012 netbook? Because it runs great on mine.

pritch said:

Prepare to waste a DVD to burn 10 to it... For some reason i was unable to get the 10 installer for the last "test or preview" version to boot from usb on a system with a motherboard and cpu from the 2003 era... and i did not feel like testing it further after 2 different iso to USB tools and one direct DD test on a linux based system...

Although one cant blame them, those old computer are seriously becoming highly inferior and irrelevant, but those with bad failing yet relevant hardware and bad financial luck end up on those old machines so its sad at the same time. :/

I had some problems with performing a clean install after activating on my laptop, but I got it working eventually.

I am happy with it for the most part, but here are some things that bother me;

-Inconsistency in appearance. The start menu, notification bar etc. are a nice looking, transparent smoky grey. On the other hand the task bar, tiles etc. are just solid flat colours. Also pinned icons on the task bar look bad clashing with the flat white icons.

-All the white windows are hard on the eyes, I've installed f.lux to counter this. I know about the hidden dark theme but unfortunately it's incomplete.

-The driver auto-updates are undecided on which trackpad driver to install on my laptop. It installs one, removes it, installs another, then installs the original again. Just silly.

-The privacy stuff is pretty creepy to say the least.

-The mail app does not update the inbox properly.

-Good bye Windows Media Center, I used this to record movies.

-Still not 100% on how this free upgrade is working. If we have to start paying a subscription in a years time...

Your mileage may vary like mine.

My computer: Flawless install (From 8.1) but my keyboard's volume knob causes glitchy behavior and so does unplugging my x52.
Mom's: Flawless for the time being.
Dad's: Unlike the other two, this was an upgrade from Win7. Computer suffers from similar but worse x52 controller problems but also suffers from a memory leak with the Nvidia driver. We share the same driver, but he has my old Asus 560 Ti while I have an EVGA 780.

Is it worth the free upgrade? Probably, but do the research for your specific devices first.

Captain Toenail said:

-The driver auto-updates are undecided on which trackpad driver to install on my laptop. It installs one, removes it, installs another, then installs the original again. Just silly.

Indeed. And the automatic driver updates is what kills it for me right now. That 'feature' is such a stability nightmare that I'll gladly pass unless they decide to deactivate it. There's nothing more dangerous than installing a driver that acts weird, especially if the user has no control over it.

Captain Toenail said:

-Still not 100% on how this free upgrade is working. If we have to start paying a subscription in a years time...

Should they really decide to implement a subscription model I predict that Apple will see a boost in sales and so will Linux installations. In an environment as volatile as the current desktop market such an action could easily be the death sentence for Windows.
That's why I don't really expect it to happen. It may be a bean counter's wet dream to constantly squeeze money out of their users but whether the users are willing to participate remains to be seen.

If this happened they'd get punished from all sides - users, software developers and who knows else. And I'd expect many to re-downgrade their system to the old OS they upgraded from.

I'll be firing it up in virtual machine before I install it anywhere else.

I'm honestly pretty happy with Windows 10 so far. Granted, I have the issues inherent with upgrading to a new OS and having to relearn where they put everything, but eh, that's just a par for the course whenever any major changes are made to an OS. I will say, I've had an easier time relearning where everything is than I did when I first got Windows 8, so there's that, and darn it, the search function actually works in case I can't find some application or setting (seriously, I can't remember the last time the search function was actually useful in Windows, it always seemed to bring up random junk for me).

I've been having random sound issues ever since I installed Windows 10, the sound would just mute at any time and I would have to restart the PC just to get sound working again, I have tried updating sound drivers in device manager as it is but no help there.

SavageCorona said:

lol pin it on the man who just makes the money and has nothing to do with development any more

Well, if taken literally, that statement must be true for everything Microsoft made after the Altair 8800 BASIC (or QDOS), and thus all the "|\/|1kr0$of+ h4t0rz" from 1980 until today, including the "golden" age of DOS and Windows 3.x/9x, were wrong to blame it on the man. Amirite?

By that logic, Steve Jobs couldn't be blamed for anything since he didn't actually solder a single iPad (well, he might have soldered a couple of joints on an original Apple computer, but that's it).

It's interesting to note that neither Gates nor Jobs were ever renowned as the "chief grease monkeys" of Microsoft and Apple. Those would be Paul Allen and Steve Wozniak, accordingly. And yet, hardly anyone remembers them.

I remember Steve Wozniak even if it is because of a shit joke in a shit show about shit nerds where he did all the work and Steve Jobs took all the credit.

FireFish said:

Prepare to waste a DVD to burn 10 to it... For some reason i was unable to get the 10 installer for the last "test or preview" version to boot from usb on a system with a motherboard and cpu from the 2003 era... and i did not feel like testing it further after 2 different iso to USB tools and one direct DD test on a linux based system...

Although one cant blame them, those old computer are seriously becoming highly inferior and irrelevant, but those with bad failing yet relevant hardware and bad financial luck end up on those old machines so its sad at the same time. :/

That might possibly be an issue with the onboard floppy controller (if present). I've known older boards not to play nice with modern Windows install efforts via USB stick when floppy is enabled. It can be very, very slow, disabling it in bios can restore USB boot speed to normal levels.

Meantime I've put a legit copy of 7 on to said A64 system to see if there's any chance of the free update showing up, but unfortunately since updating it to SP1 Windows Update has decided to crap out, eating 100% CPU/RAM...

So I'm likely in for a bit of jiggery pokery. Or give up and try and get 10 on here via other means...

reboot said:

Heh. To quote Frasier, this guy is like Gore Vidal - he hates everything.