Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Fulgrim

Resident Evil Umbreala Corps

So, the 20th anniversary of the Resident Evil series is coming up and Capcom teased a new RE game at TGS. Based on the info we have (Resident Evil) Umbrella Corps is a a team-based competitive multiplayer shooter with zombies thrown in. I was disappointed tell I remembered that a remake of RE2 is in the works.

As soon as I saw the name I thought OTS squad based shooter. I was right. Then I saw Unity and uggg its an unlicensed indie game. To be fair its probably the best Unity game I've ever seen to the point it looks like its Unreal 4. Oh and then it was punctuated by Capcom so its official or at least faking it.

The game looks great and can turn into a 3rd person Left for Dead or Killing Floor... but since its Capcom people will just complain and talk about how bankrupt and fucked the company is, because its all people do with Japanese companies.

I think people will turn on it for not being Resident Evil enough, plus while the name fits the franchise, I can't imagine people into online coop shooters saying hey wanna play some "umbrella?" Think about that whole Umbrella name. It needs either an acronym or a more fitting name that describes the theme of the game.

So is it going to be like Mass Effect 3's multiplayer but with waves of zombies? I'm not able to load the video for some reason.

Well I mean, looks like the natural progression of the Mercenaries mode/the good parts of RE5 in some ways. To be fair, it's not a Resident Evil game, but it's also not claiming to be one; It's an Umbrella game, it can do whatever it wants and get away with it. Like how Mario, despite originally being a Donkey Kong spinoff, can get away with whatever it wants without being abiding by the standards of Donkey Kong.

I'm glad. Now that this exists hopefully the spooky-type Resident Evil games can exist peacefully without action elements being shoehorned in.

It always upset me that HUNK never had his own RE game. always thought he would have a interesting story to tell.

Dave The Daring said:

Same, but with Tofu.

I haven't played a Resident Evil since 3 and I thought by Tofu it was Hunk... fuzzy memory as always.

Buckshot said:

It always upset me that HUNK never had his own RE game. always thought he would have a interesting story to tell.

It's not like HUNK really had much of a backstory or personality to go on, though, so I can't say I've ever expected one or been disappointed at the absence of such a game. He barely qualified as a character outside of a small minigame in RE2, and was originally supposed to be dead along with the rest of his team until RE3 actually gave him an epilogue and made the event of The 4th Survivor somewhat canon (although fuck knows how he survived for eight fucking days face-down in a sewer). Even then, what's to really go on? He's just a man in a mask, one of dozens, if not hundreds of expendable (albeit well-trained) goons on the Umbrella "black ops" payroll.

As for him getting his own game now (and one that fits canonically, unlike O:RC), it'd probably be set pre-RE2 if it's going to be a game about HUNK as we know him (as a U.S.S. operative). In other words, it'd likely be a series of short scenarios and events leading up to the point where you must steal the G-Virus and run like fuck from a very angry and now-mutated William Birkin (who your dumbass partner had shot in a panic because a can fell off a table and hit the floor).

Dave The Daring said:

Tofu is literally a giant block of, well, tofu.

http://www.mobygames.com/images/shots/l/29441-resident-evil-2-windows-screenshot-tofu-is-only-armed-with.jpg

So apparently zombies like tofu. He knew?

No idea if the zombies like it, but HUNK seemingly does.

Buckshot said:

Killer Tofu.

always looked more like a giant bath tub or brick of nose candy.

Yeah, the PS1 just couldn't do convincing tofu physics. One of it's few weaknesses.

Technician said:

Why didn't they make Tofu completely rectangular like an actual piece of tofu?

Because originally the model was just a placeholder for collision detection purposes. Blame whichever smartass employee at Capcom remarked that said model looked like a stick of tofu.

BaronOfStuff said:

Because originally the model was just a placeholder for collision detection purposes. Blame whichever smartass employee at Capcom remarked that said model looked like a stick of tofu.

Bruce Willis was the placeholder for Tony Hawk Pro Skater 1. It could have been tofu.

Anyone ever have tofu? Man I hate it. I have had it in miso soup. Its just very synthetic in my opinion.

geo said:

Anyone ever have tofu? Man I hate it. I have had it in miso soup. Its just very synthetic in my opinion.

You've got to differentiate the food that's actually made in Japan from the stuff at your local foreign restaurant though. Take Arab cakes, the ones I used to bring back from Tunisia when my dad worked there were delicious, while the ones I can find nearest to my house genuinely taste like a piece of plaster, to the point that I wonder if they're the same thing at all beyond the appearance.

As for the topic at hand, first we get Metroid Prime: Federation Force, and now this ? It seems like these past few years, players and developers alike have been putting competitive multiplayer on a pedestal and underestimating the value of a substantial single-player experience. I thought this tendency was waning recently, but I guess not.

Budoka said:

It seems like these past few years, players and developers alike have been putting competitive multiplayer on a pedestal and underestimating the value of a substantial single-player experience. I thought this tendency was waning recently, but I guess not.

Looks like the reason why single player campaigns are short, apparently people don't seem to like playing alone, hence why coop exists.

J.B.R said:

Looks like the reason why single player campaigns are short, apparently people don't seem to like playing alone, hence why coop exists.

I actually like playing some games alone sometimes, unless I have a friend IRL that's watching me playing or watching a stream I would host with the game. That's why I like the new DOOM's way of doing things; having Coop online for custom maps to be made like Killing Floor.

Anyways, off the DOOM topic and onto Resident Evil. I do have a feeling this might fail for some reason, maybe because It's a modern GSGO or trying to be like a third person Killing Floor. I think It'd be more Interesting If It was a FPS like that one Resident Evil game on the PS1 that was a First Person Shooter.

Doominator2 said:

Pre Purchase now to unlock the CD locked DLC to change your characters COLOUR ON RELEASE DATE!!!

PRE-ORDER NOAW TO UNLECK TEH SPOOKEH GORO COSUTMEZ ONELY AVAIALBLE 2 PRE-ORDERERZ OF MURTEL KOAWMBWAT X.

Doominator2 said:

Pre Purchase now to unlock the CD locked DLC to change your characters COLOUR ON RELEASE DATE!!!

So this bullshit continues, gj Capcom, way to go!

I can understand why Capcom is really pushing for a RE multiplayer since they have been doing so since the RE: Outbreak games on PS2. But, it simply seems none of their efforts to create a mtiplayer Resident Evil game have really gone anywhere. Sure people still play the multiplayer modes for RE 5, 6 and the Revelation games, but compaired to other multiplayer games, the player base is pretty small. Also, I think a better way of celebrating 20 of Resident Evil would be another entry in the main series that returns Resident Evil back to it's Survival Horror roots with some modern gameplay thrown in.

As a side note: It's funny how people accuse Nintendo and Konami of being out of touch, but Capcom is in the same boat and they seem to hardly catch flack for it.