Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

Best zombie game ever

I had a lot of fun with Zombie Panic Source. It's as close as video games ever got to a classic Romero zombie experience IMO. It's a multiplayer game where the human team needs to work together by scavenging weapons/ammo and barricade rooms/buildings, and the zombie team are classic slow moving zombies without any special powers but get to respawn each round. Human players killed by the zombie team respawn as zombies and the round ends either when all humans are turned, or the time limit runs out, or if zombies run out of respawns.

SavageCorona said:

Yeah ganados are peasants/zealots/army blokes that are mind controlled by a parasite, they are not undead zombies. RE4 contains 0 zombies.

What about those things which limbs can grow back?

The Walking Dead game series by Telltale deserves a mention, I think.

hardcore_gamer said:

Regeneradores / Iron Maidens aren't zombies either, they're humans infested with multiple regenerative parasites.

I'll throw one out for No More Room in Hell, a Source mod in a similar vein to the aforementioned ZPS with a more realistic-feeling take on the zombie apocalypse.

Minimalist HUD: No health or stamina readouts here, you'll have to use visual and audio clues to figure them out. Ammo count can either be an audio callout or a HUD element that fades away after you check it.

Proximity-based communication: in-game voicechat and text will not show up if you happen to be too far from the person speaking or typing. And of course the dead cannot chat with the living.

Your inventory is limited but allows you to carry quite a few things so long as you have space for it. Melee weapons and firearms, healing, ammo, tools take up space and can slow you down, so you have to decide if you want them or leave them behind.

Melee weapons are all improvised from tools that anyone can find. All require stamina and are swung in an arc so it's possible to hit a few zombies at once. Each has a particular length, weight and stamina use, so you're certain to find one that fits your style. Kitchen knives, pipe wrenches, iron pipes, crowbars, baseball bats, firefighter axes, sledgehammers, and the machete can all help you eliminate the zombie threat at close range. There are even abrasive saws and chainsaws for those times when you need a crowd of zombies dead.

Firearms have more realistic mechanics. Most firearms can have a chambered round in addition to their usual magazine. Reloads are fairly slower than in most typical FPS games and are performed differently if you don't have a round chambered. You can choose to unload a firearm and use its ammo for another one, though the in-game unload process is much faster than in real life. Ironsights are almost always the preferred method of accurate fire, though there isn't much recoil or idle sway to compensate for. You can even off your player character with a loaded gun if infection has gone on too long.

The firearm selection is quite diverse, but limited on what a civilian would likely find. No exotic firearms like flamethrowers or anti-materiel rifles or portable machineguns. Explosives are rare and provide a powerful area attack, like Molotov cocktails, frag grenades and military dynamite.

A vast majority of the zombies are the walkers from Romero films: dumb, slow, unfeeling and always in large groups if not a mob. The game does have runners a la 28 Days Later, but those are uncommon and not nearly as agile. Some of the walkers and runners were National Guard troops who were infected and still had their armor on, making them much more resistant to weapons. There are crawlers that somehow move faster than walkers and bite your ankles to keep you from moving. There are even children zombies that are shorter, less dangerous versions of the runners. The last one garnered some controversy when they were introduced, but the devs have stuck to their inclusion.

One more thing: there are a lot of servers with plugins for infinite ammo and/or gun menus. They are not representative of the experience the NMRiH devs want to convey. They take away practically all of the difficulty the devs intentionally set up when they made the game. Seek out servers that don't have these plugins and enjoy!

hardcore_gamer said:

Zombies can't do that, so on top of the other post explaining what they are, definitely not.

Whatever happened to the original brain eating kind of zombie? Now they just eat any part of the body like a cannibal.

Avoozl said:

Whatever happened to the original brain eating kind of zombie? Now they just eat any part of the body like a cannibal.

Why did zombies even eat brains to begin with?

hardcore_gamer said:

Why did zombies even eat brains to begin with?

Blame Return of the Living Dead for that:

Personally I always thought it was dumb (even by zombie movie logic!) that they'd have a particular interest in eating brains, but there you go.

See, just give your villains a clear motivation and everything's set. It's also relieving to see asking the villain why it does things actually work for once, instead of the ever-popular:
"VAGUEMETAPHORVAGUE," said Badguy Guy.
"Huh? What?" asked Heroman.
"METAPHORVAGUERAMBLE," said Badguy Guy.
"Y'know I'd like to think that you're actually trying to explain your actions, you don't really have a big plan in the works or anything, you don't seem to be the spiteful type, and you don't really have any reason not to reply," said Heroman, "Unless you do have a plan in the works, but by being vague instead of telling a simple lie that just makes it more obvious that you would have a plan, so what-- aw he died."
Badguy Guy died.

BaronOfStuff said:

Blame Return of the Living Dead for that

That was really dumb. I stopped taking the clip seriously the moment the zombie started talking. Zombies are just reanimated corpses with extremely basic natural instincts and should never be depicted as having any form of sentience. If they do, then they aren't really zombies but rather ghosts or some kind of fiends.

hardcore_gamer said:

Zombies are just reanimated corpses with extremely basic natural instincts and should never be depicted as having any form of sentience. If they do, then they aren't really zombies but rather ghosts or some kind of fiends.

No.

You're trying to corner Zombies into the only niche that you believe they can be. You enforce only certain stereotypes and behaviors on them, and believe that they shouldn't have any other way. I'm guessing you're the same with women, you white privileged CISIS(?) scum male man.

Clonehunter said:

You're trying to corner Zombies into the only niche that you believe they can be. You enforce only certain stereotypes and behaviors on them, and believe that they shouldn't have any other way. I'm guessing you're the same with women, you white privileged CISIS(?) scum male man.

In the past I would have simply assumed that people writing such posts were doing so lightheartedly and in a non-serious manner. But because of past experiences both on this site and elsewhere, I am actually struggling trying to decide if I should take this post at face vale or not.

Don't wonder that people are getting increasedly hostile towards you if you keep making the same sort of mistake in long term. Your mistake = making biased, intolerant or short-sighted statements. Almost weekly.

Since you, Scifista, mentioned it, I will still clarify and admit thatonly the first two sentences were serious. The third one about women was a jab, but was otherwise not meant to be taken at "Face value."

Clonehunter said:

Since you, Scifista, mentioned it, I will still clarify and admit thatonly the first two sentences were serious. The third one about women was a jab, but was otherwise not meant to be taken at "Face value."

In today's world of crazy social justice warriors nothing is so stupid that many people on the internet won't say it with a completely straight face. Hence why I wasn't sure. Turning a conversation about zombies into an argument about female oppression and white privilege sounds exactly like something a social justice cunt would do.

In regards to the Night of the Living Dead Zombie "We eat brains to get rid of the pain", wouldn't it be easier to attempt suicide?

Pain relief is temporary and fetching brains can involve lots of effort to pursue while in such a pain state. Also, depending on what zombies you want to reference tend to have moments of super strength (ripping guts out of people with their hands, limbs get split etc) which should give them enough strength to use a power tool or something blunt on their own/each others heads. And with Night of the Living dead's universe in particular zombies can be clever enough to speak and even manipulate people at times, suggesting more than enough intelligence to recognize a solution to end their own pain faster and more permanent than chasing brains.

Although there is nothing suggesting this, I suppose the lust of brains could be an addiction where their desire clouds better judgement and the pleasure of eating brains is too great to pass up. Then you could go a little more far-fetch and consider that the zombies will always have some form of conscious and will always feel pain even if they were burnt to ashes. The Zombies somehow know this so they much prefer to keep what rotting bodies they have to combat the pain as opposed to trapped in pain for an eternity.

But I guess the most logical explanation for the movies' brain eating motive is "cause zombie movie".

hardcore_gamer said:

In today's world of crazy social justice warriors nothing is so stupid that many people on the internet won't say it with a completely straight face. Hence why I wasn't sure. Turning a conversation about zombies into an argument about female oppression and white privilege sounds exactly like something a social justice cunt would do.

You clearly aren't familiar with the fact that Clonehunter constantly cuts himself with all his edges, most of the time not on purpose.

SavageCorona said:

It should be pretty obvious that being called CISIS scum isn't meant to be taken seriously

Well, yah, that too. The (?) should have been a dead giveaway, the more I think about it.

Chezza said:

In regards to the Night of the Living Dead Zombie "We eat brains to get rid of the pain", wouldn't it be easier to attempt suicide?

That clip is actually from Return of the Living Dead where the zombies pretty much can't be killed (the first thing they do when then see a zombie is try and 'destroy the brain like in the movie') so as far as the movie is concerned ending ones unlife is not physically possible.

Spoiler

I think they find a way to redead them in the sequels but you work with the data available in each self contained movie

In the world of Return of the Living Dead, Night of the Living Dead was a movie that was said to be 'inspired by real events' involving a military chemical spill where as Dawn of the Dead exists in the same timeline as Night (i.e. The zompocalypse).

first 50 seconds or so if the trailer explains the connection: