Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hellbent

Discovery Credibility Sharks

Quasar said:

"Walking with Dinosaurs is a six-part documentary television miniseries that was produced by the BBC, narrated by Kenneth Branagh, and first aired in the United Kingdom, in 1999.[1] The series was subsequently aired in North America on the Discovery Channel in 2000, with Branagh's voice replaced with that of Avery Brooks. It is the first entry of the Walking with... series and used computer-generated imagery and animatronics to recreate the life of the Mesozoic, showing dinosaurs and their contemporaries in a way that previously had only been seen in feature films. The programme's aim was to simulate the style of a nature documentary and therefore does not include "talking head" interviews."

Where are you getting that it had a creationist agenda? Maybe you're talking about a different series? Did you actually watch it or did you assume based on the title what it was about?

dew said:

It obviously claimed that people and dinosaurs coexisted at some point, proving the Young Earth theory and making all of the Bible true automatically. Just imagine if that was true, we wouldn't be able to murder out babies or mix wool and linen anymore.

Straight out bullshit and propaganda is kinda easy to handwave off if you have two neurons to rub together, but I've also been terribly disappointed by most of the astronomical documentaries I've seen recently. LOOK AT THIS HUGE STAR! IT CAN BLOW UP ANY MOMENT AND KILL US ALL WITH DEATH RAYS OF MURDER! WATCH THIS SHITTY ANIMATION FOR 15 TIMES! AAAAANY MOMENT NOW! GODDAMIT I'M SCARED!

Godling said:

Agenda? What? Shitty docs and poor animation aside... what the hell? An agenda? Did I miss a big conspiracy meeting?

I've watched a few different WWD shows including the movie, but never have I heard/seen mention of dinosaurs living alongside humans. So yeah, maybe someone is thinking of some other series?

Well that's just it. I was thowing around some Grade A Sarcasm (TM) and somehow Quasar extrapolates creationism. It's really quite fascinating.

Since we're breaking the 4th wall... I did play along, but there was a bit of Poe's law present, so I wasn't sure if I was laughing with you or at you. Your sarcasm was hard to deconstruct.

Do not count creationism out yet! We could be living inside of a digital universe created by some entity and running in their version of a computer (even if they created it and never touched it again).

GhostlyDeath said:

Do not count creationism out yet! We could be living inside of a digital universe created by some entity and running in their version of a computer (even if they created it and never touched it again).

If that where so people would have broken the logic by now and the Matrix movie would have been very Meta and... mind bothering. So i would mind-crack the system to castrate you from a distance or something.

GhostlyDeath said:

We could be living inside of a digital universe created by some entity and running in their version of a computer

The problem with every non-religious non-earth origins theory is that they don't cover how the entities/aliens/whatever originated. Even if you say they were created by something else, at some point there must have been one species that originated by natural means, thereby nullifying the need for these crackpot creator theories.

FireFish said:

If that where so people would have broken the logic by now...

/devil's_advocate
And you determined this how?

Scet said:

...there must have been one species that originated by natural means...

This presumes there are zero exceptions to "cause and effect".

Godling said:

/devil's_advocate
And you determined this how?

/devil's jester
If the alien programmers would have been anything like earthly programmers people would have been glitching through the floor by now.

FireFish said:

/devil's jester
If the alien programmers would have been anything like earthly programmers people would have been glitching through the floor by now.

Okay.. lmao. Totally hadn't thought about bugs, but yeah... hard to imagine a "perfect" system. But maybe that's where quantum-computing will take us?

Maybe a QC system could run a sim of the sim... and only run the final result when found to be bug free. Such could be the use of QC. /dreams

Godling said:

Totally hadn't thought about bugs, but yeah... hard to imagine a "perfect" system.

"Undocumented features" - if you don't mind! The Eternal Coder (blessed be his name) doesn't do BUGS.

dew said:

Since we're breaking the 4th wall... I did play along, but there was a bit of Poe's law present, so I wasn't sure if I was laughing with you or at you. Your sarcasm was hard to deconstruct.

Heh, thanks.

It is easier and less bug prone to code simple systems with a small set of states. Although at the lowest levels the states might be very few, on the large scale they can make quite a difference.

Clonehunter said:

Well that's just it. I was thowing around some Grade A Sarcasm (TM) and somehow Quasar extrapolates creationism. It's really quite fascinating.

Keep in mind you can't do a satire of people who think that way. It's indistinguishable from the real thing :P /s or it's serious ;)