Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

What is your opinion on Youtube red?

I never found a single Let's Play that I liked. It's all obnoxious tryhard I-suck-as-a-comedian-so-I'll-babble-instead humor to me.

I never was a big fan of Let's Plays. I found the commentary to be a distraction and a turn-off.

If I were to turn to YouTube for help on a specific game that GameFAQs hasn't covered, I'd rather it be a walkthrough; no commentary, no annotations, no horseshit... just the gameplay.

Gez said:

It's become very hard to find a gameplay video that's just a gameplay video. And not something that starts with a dumb title card and then waste five minutes as the player character sits there doing nothing while some mouth-breather goes "hey guys welcome back to my lets play series blah blah blah gobble gobble".

I guess that's the sad state of popular gaming videos on YT nowadays.

So I've been listening to Google Music as someone recommended. The free version. I listen for hours each day and there's only 1 ad to start it. Then no adds. Its odd. The funny thing I've always found with these radio stations is no one I've found in recent memory ever has Tool. I have all the albums and mp3s, but convenience wins out.

Yet I go on Youtube, there they are. Unofficial of course.

*shrug* I'm still not entirely sure what Youtube Red is all about beyond no ads on youtube videos. It's certainly not something I think I'd likely pay for, but I already have a subscription to Google Play Music, which is a damn nice music service in and of itself. Honestly, that's what it seems like to me - it's a Google Play Music subscription with little extra bonuses thrown in. So I mean, at least you're getting something of value out of it even if it doesn't really affect your youtube viewing that much.

FireFish said:

I watched a few videos of that guy and i do not even understand how he can get so many views.

He accrued an audience of children that mash the play button on his videos all day long. Some of which have been watching since he began five years ago. I certainly don't understand it myself but as it was explained to me - you like to watch other people play sports, how is it any different that they like to watch this guy play videogames?

SavageCorona said:

I prefer the Jontron style of gaming content.

So you like ass cancer? Thanks for sharing.

Why are you people giving donkeys cancer? :(

Anyway, on-topic... This shouldn't make any difference to me. Unlike some people I don't live on YouTube and I don't see myself following anything or subscribing to it. If ever they make the whole thing subscription based that may have an impact, but I can't believe that'll happen.

Chezza said:

From my understanding you receive a bunch of Pewdiepie content?

It doesn't make any sense to me. It is if they want to pander to a market segment that does not have any income. I'm talking Children and socially challenged teenagers.

You are forgetting about the so-called "parents", it's their money Google is after. They're naive, ignorant and hopelessly out of touch with the frontline popculture trends, yet they pathetically pander to the sheepish, corporate propaganda driven whims of their ungrateful, tasteless waste-of-biological-matter offsprings in desperate and futile attempts to secure their "love". They'll cough up the dough for that coveted pewds subscription and then they'll keep on resubcribing their kid's account for every birthday long after it's about as cool as an ABBA Best Of compilation and, like a new pair of socks, it only adds to their children's secret resentment.

If you're in the sweet spot where you already refuse to follow all the shallow memetic trends, because your taste is more refined than that, but your interests are still somewhat relevant and related to modern development, you should cherish these precious moments. It's a transitional state and it will pass soon.

Jaxxoon R said:

So you are ass cancer? Thanks for sharing.

Seems like someone's butthurt with cancer here.

Cancer isn't a joke. Especially when this is Breast Cancer Awareness Month.

I completely change my opinion of Youtube Red. It is bullshit. They are strong-arming content creators into signing with the deal or their content is effectively being removed (set to 'Private'). This is probably the biggest dick-move I've seen in internet history. I didn't use YouTube that much in the past anyway, but now I think I may actually intentionally cease using it.

I wonder how long the economy is going to be able to handle the commercialization of once "free" internet based content as used by the common citizen. Or people are going to run out of money to pay all their subscription and digital downloads on multiple sources (google, microsoft, music stores, streaming media, etc.) and everything collapses, or people boot up "old-school" replacements which get their income from data mining, sponsors, advertisements, contracts, and common deals between organizations.

And if they want to counter the add-blockers then they should design advertisements which integrate into the websites as if they where part of the visual design instead of the ugly, intrusive, flow disturbing trash they bombard us with on multiple websites.

GhostlyDeath said:

Google has a large piece of the internet steak, it can do whatever it wants!

Not unless the EU has its way on its antitrust investigation.

dew said:

ABBA Best Of compilation

I have one of those, AND it's in my playlist. Sad, isn't it.

FireFish said:

And if they want to counter the add-blockers then they should design advertisements which integrate into the websites as if they where part of the visual design instead of the ugly, intrusive, flow disturbing trash they bombard us with on multiple websites.

And once websites are little more than aesthetically pleasing walls of advertising, with the occasional bit of content that may interest you (which is where free-to-air TV seems to be headed), problem solved? If I'm still alive at that point, I'll be looking for a website blocker that can filter out all but the potentially interesting content and won't mind too much if the result's a bit ugly and doesn't flow.

Don't really care about it too much.

Mr. Freeze said:

I never found a single Let's Play that I liked. It's all obnoxious tryhard I-suck-as-a-comedian-so-I'll-babble-instead humor to me.

Even AltimaMantoid? Balames87?

The guy behind H3H3 summed up my feelings on the matter. Why red? Why so close to Redtube? Why not green, or gold? Like, seriously?
Anyway, all the supposed premium YouTube sponsored fellas are trash. If I can't watch em, good. No
more random wedging into my suggested and related videos.

But it fucks up shit for everyone who does watch them. That's the problem. Obviously some people don't care because they don't watch the content anyways, but that isn't really a good reason to just brush it off. Of course, there's nothing that can be done anyways except to do what wee were already planning to do, which is not support YTR anyways.

Apparently YouTube Red is not going to be available for any country other than the USA.

Avoozl said:

Apparently YouTube Red is not going to be available for any country other than the USA.

That's fine with me, so long as none of the content I'm likely to watch is stuck behind a paywall.