Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
IMJack

One Nation, NOT Under God, Indivisible

Little Faith said:

Yeah, and why then do Israel occupy Palestine in the first place? You guessed it, Greed.

Absolutely. Isreal has been building settlements on Palestinian land for some time now.

Doom-Child said:

deadnail, once again you astound and amaze. Had I a hat, it would be in my lap (whatever the hell that means).

DC

To cover your erection? :)

Well said Deadnail, and remind me never ever to get in a debate with you.

As for Danarchist, I can agree with his rules fairly well. But I'm afraid that evangelism's under freedom of speech. Then again, even I sometimes wish it weren't. Some people talk to you about religion, and you come away feeling like you've been hit on by your less preferable gender.
Most people I know feel quite secure in their religion(into which I group atheism, since it's a view on God), but there are people out there who aren't secure - and that's who evangelists are looking for. They really don't have a way of determining who is in that group, so they ask everyone. Granted, they should take hints and get outta dodge faster, but they are invariably people of conviction. It's their character type.

As for religion, I see it like the law sees most other actions: You're free to do it, as long as you hurt no one and don't put others at risk. Otherwise, you've overstepped your bounds. That's generally the rule of thumb, and I'll bet that the concept is laid out somewhere in the Constitution or some important document. I'm just too darned lazy to look it up.

Most people I know feel quite secure in their religion(into which I group atheism, since it's a view on God), but there are people out there who aren't secure - and that's who evangelists are looking for. They really don't have a way of determining who is in that group, so they ask everyone. Granted, they should take hints and get outta dodge faster, but they are invariably people of conviction. It's their character type.

I've found that the people who are the most preachy - the "faithful" who bend over backwards to show their devotion and crow on and on about their religion, or the atheists who cy the loudest about how God doesn't exist and we're all idiots - are the least secure in their faith or belief structures. Has anyone else ever thought that?

I think in general that tends to be right, but not in quite the way you put it.

The people most insecure about their beliefs are the ones most afraid of being proven wrong. It's a deep-seated human thing; no one likes to be wrong (as Xian is proving). To make up for being wrong, a lot of people get loud instead. In a convoluted sort of way, it makes sense. Do you want to spend an hour debating with someone who shouts you down every ten seconds?

However, there are those few who are strong in their beliefs, yet feel the need to foist them on anything with a carbon-based cellular structure at the same volume we normally reserve for launching the shuttle. I really don't know how to explain them (apart from calling them sadists or something).

DC

IMJack said:
..."freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose."

...me and my Bobby McGee...

Doom-Child said:

I think in general that tends to be right, but not in quite the way you put it.

The people most insecure about their beliefs are the ones most afraid of being proven wrong. It's a deep-seated human thing; no one likes to be wrong (as Xian is proving). To make up for being wrong, a lot of people get loud instead. In a convoluted sort of way, it makes sense. Do you want to spend an hour debating with someone who shouts you down every ten seconds?

However, there are those few who are strong in their beliefs, yet feel the need to foist them on anything with a carbon-based cellular structure at the same volume we normally reserve for launching the shuttle. I really don't know how to explain them (apart from calling them sadists or something).

DC

And that brings us to the Internet Rules Of Idiocy:

(1) Everyone on the Internet substitutes being loud and repetitive for being intelligent;
(2) Everyone on the Internet is wrong;
(3) The main belief everyone on the Internet is insecure in is the size of their penises (male) or breasts (female);
(4) These rules are full of crap.

KDarigal said:

And that brings us to the Internet Rules Of Idiocy:

(1) Everyone on the Internet substitutes being loud and repetitive for being intelligent;
(2) Everyone on the Internet is wrong;
(3) The main belief everyone on the Internet is insecure in is the size of their penises (male) or breasts (female);
(4) These rules are full of crap.

I have a small dick therefore you are a retard.

Doom-Child said:

Wouldn't that be implying that she has talent?

DC

I still play my Grease vid/cd/tapes so...YES

I keep forgetting that you're a generation behind me, fods. Of course you like Olivia Newton-John. How silly of me to even question it.

DC

Doom-Child said:

I keep forgetting that you're a generation behind me, fods. Of course you like Olivia Newton-John. How silly of me to even question it.

DC

I like her too.

RailGunner said:

damn this conversation is confusing.

Then stay out of it.

RailGunner said:

...i just said that to raise my post count.

Great way to lose it as well ;)