Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Reisal

Fallout 4

The controls for the various menus are all over the place. They really dropped the ball there. It's even worse than in Skyrim because FO4 has more complex UIs. They still don't display correct keys if you rebind them, and the different mods don't have their own bindings. Some of the keys are even hard-coded. Idiots.

I haven't noticed bad performance on my AMD card yet. I have noticed the load screens getting longer, though. Am I not supposed to hoard armour pieces?

Yes, you can store junk in the crafting stations. Note that you cannot (at least at the start of the game) swap materials between crafting stations in different settlements.

I went into "Wattz Consumer Electronics" and all the robots were completely stationary. AI didn't kick in or something. I could shoot at them and they wouldn't react to it and sat there. Reminded myself how I bought a Bethesda game.

I stepped outside one of the top exits of the collegiate building and fell into the building geometry. Luckily I could access the front door from the otherside to get inside the building and exit back into the world map without fucking the game up. Reminded myself again how I bought a Bethesda game.

You can't really do any trading until you get to Diamond city, but there's so many stimpacks lying around it doesn't matter. Ammo and healing items are plentiful. As are grenades and moltovs. Usually you will kill yourself trying to use explosives in combat. You no longer earn exp for disabling explosives. Crafting will let you sperg on making super awesome equipment - but the design still factors in players that won't bother with it. Which means you will come across sufficient equipment, without the torturous scavenger hunts.

I don't find myself in an endless grind loop of wanting to carry a mountain of crap back to a trader. You can stay out in the waste and explore without having to monotonously back track. My character hasn't slept since I started playing - no impairment.

You can zoom the pipboy map in by right clicking, but it's still a turd. I will maintain the theory it's gimped because of app integration with a shiny toy that will become a burden after an hour of use.

I encountered an NPC that loved his dog, but offered to sell it to me for 250 caps. I bought the dog, then blew his head off. Got my caps back.

Aliotroph? said:

I haven't noticed bad performance on my AMD card yet.

Really? using an r9 290 here with latest beta drivers and was only getting 40fps on ultra until I disabled god rays, which took it up to ~55fps. Then further reducing shadows until I reach 60. As soon as you hit any city area however it drops down to ~40 again. It's really unstable.

Played a few hours last night. A Ghoul sneaked up on me and I almost pooped. Cleared out a factory of raiders, was pretty cool.

I'm upset that you can't use grenades in V.A.T.S., it was hilarious to hear people say, "oh shit!" in slow-motion, right before they blew up. They have to make a mod that makes using grenades, the same as other weapons. I dislike using a separate key for them. Between using the vats, the pip-boy, the grenade button, sprint button, and other controls, I find myself fumbling all over the place on the keyboard when in combat.

Though I found it really funny, when I was fighting a raider, and botched throwing a mine in only a short distance. The raider mocked, me and said, "You gotta be kidding me".

Bucket said:

Oh well, hype over.
So who's looking forward to Just Cause 3?

Meh, I'm waiting for Doom 2016... I don't play as much modern games as I did last decade, I just stick with old-school/retro games.

Also, I find it hilarious interesting that NVIDIA recommends the GTX 970 for FO4. I wonder if that's for playing with most of the graphic settings on Max in fullscreen mode without any trouble.

Anyone bitching about FO4's general bugginess and shit optimization has zero right to complain, solely because you keep buying this shit and enabling Bethsoft to halfass their QA. Never be an early adopter.

I'm on my 10th hour or something and enjoying it. It's pretty much what I expected it would be. There's major fan service going on. I think it will be hard for new players to get into. They don't introduce anything expect the new crafting and building system. So it's kinda hardcore that way.

On the other hand, it being what you expected is also kind of disappointing. They aren't taking any chances here. Again, major fan service.

I've never experienced any game breaking bugs with Bethesdas games since ES: Oblivion. I only played them on PC. There's still the small quirks with NPC's sometimes getting stuck etc. If you haven't experienced a Bethesda game before you'll get really stumped at how the engine behaves at time.

They win on story, world and mood. And getting exploding head shots in VATS.

Mr. Freeze said:

Anyone bitching about FO4's general bugginess and shit optimization has zero right to complain, solely because you keep buying this shit and enabling Bethsoft to halfass their QA. Never be an early adopter.

Are there any in house bethesda games that became stable through patches? People had to make their own engine from scratch to properly get at Morrowind's bugs, glitches and limitations. (so close to a 1.0 release, too!)

People who dive in to Fallout 3 on PC for the first time today would not be prepared for the coding insanity awaiting them.

Fallout 4 seems well optimized for AMD cards for a change... It runs perfect on my mid range AMD PC. To be honest, it also seems less buggy than other Bethesda launch titles.. But there are still a ton admittedly. But I've heard of people with far higher end PCs than me having issues with the game... Namely people who use
nvidia so I hope that gets sorted out soon, because it does seem kinda outlandish.

geX said:

I've got a Geforce 580 gtx. No problems here.

GTX 980 here, and I get random framerate drops in certain areas for no apparent reason. It's not a game breaking issue, but it would be nice if it was fixed.

Khorus said:

Are there any in house bethesda games that became stable through patches? People had to make their own engine from scratch to properly get at Morrowind's bugs, glitches and limitations. (so close to a 1.0 release, too!)

I thought the main focus of OpenMW was just to bypass limitations? I don't recall there being any noticable bugs or glitches with the original Morrowind.

I've been playing Bethesda games since Daggerfall and in my experience Morrowind is their least buggy game (Daggerfall being the most buggy, with more than one engine reimplementation in progress to correct bugs and remove limitations). One of the core motivations for OpenMW is to better support landmass and total conversion mods by removing limits in minimap scope, physics instability when too far from the center of the gameworld, etc. I believe the current project lead became interested in OpenMW when they ran into hardcoded limits with their in-progress Ultima-based total conversion for Morrowind.

Bucket said:

Oh well, hype over.
So who's looking forward to Just Cause 3?

I am, I loved Just Cause 2. I just hope it isn't fucked up like the way Bethesda fucked up Fallout 4.

I thought Just Cause 2 was fun until it became very repetitive, hopefully they can make JC3 a little less repetitive or otherwise at least a bit more varied.

The destruction physics seem great so far from what was shown, maybe they will be on the level of Geo-Mod but it's doubtful.

jute said:

I've been playing Bethesda games since Daggerfall and in my experience Morrowind is their least buggy game (Daggerfall being the most buggy, with more than one engine reimplementation in progress to correct bugs and remove limitations).

I found Morrowind to be as buggy as the rest of them. They even built a crash-recovery save feature (kind of like the one in MS Office) because the UI used to die randomly. It seemed to get more stable when the expansions came out, but it's still a mess.

Daggerfall is definitely by far the worst of the lot. One of my favourites is when it screws up loading climate data and generates plants all over the ocean.

I gave it another 4 or 5 more hours for a total of 12.

I kept playing on hopes it would get better as recommended by some.

Sadly, that's not the case... and seemingly just gets lamer as the game goes on. I'm saddened they deviated this much from what made Fallout 3 and New Vegas a success, as none of it's here, and everything just continues to feel broken or out of place. Even generic. I guess they were going for a STALKER-meets-RAGE sort of vibe?

Poor design decisions I guess. Apparently, I keep running into random workshops that keep asking me to partake in things I have literally no desire (nor time) to do, like build houses or bases or something (please don't tell me they are trying to do the minecraft fort bullshit in this), and all sorts of non-sensical weapon/armor/whatever upgrades.

I really just want my $60 back now.

Buckshot said:

I guess they were going for a STALKER-meets-RAGE sort of vibe?

Actually some time ago I was wondering if maybe the development of Fallout 4 played a part in the cancellation of RAGE 2. I've heard it's a bit more of an FPS rather than RPG now so who knows.

They toned down the RPG aspects a bit, but the crafting and gameplay are much better than the last 2 games in my opinion. The only real issue I have with it, is that half the textures tend to res at low quality no matter what your texture settings are... I have no idea why or how to fix it.

CyberDemonEmpress said:

The only real issue I have with it, is that half the textures tend to res at low quality no matter what your texture settings are... I have no idea why or how to fix it.

There's a bug where sometimes the game loads only LOD textures instead of the hi-res ones. It affects the shadows and collision boxes too. I fell through the concrete on one of the highways while a section was glitching like that.

I also fell through the map once near the start, during a fight.

Aliotroph? said:

There's a bug where sometimes the game loads only LOD textures instead of the hi-res ones. It affects the shadows and collision boxes too. I fell through the concrete on one of the highways while a section was glitching like that.

I also fell through the map once near the start, during a fight.

Classic Gamebryo/Creation engine bugs.

Mechazawa said:

This. Fallcraft 4.

I'd say its more like Simsout 4

I make all of the ghouls in my community do the farm work, and sleep in the shitter part of town. All of the guards have military uniforms and laser rifles, and I built a fortress within Sanctuary Hills; the perimeter of the town is already completely surrounded by a junk wall. Sanctuary Hills is sort of like a feudal castle/fortress city now, with my bastard of a character as the leader.

I had helped another community from being attacked by a super-mutant raid to gain their allegiance. However, after killing the super-mutants, instead of helping them, I scrapped all of the materials they had, and invested back into Sanctuary Hills. Subsequently, the other community collapsed, and the inhabitants abandoned that settlement (I think). Either way, it was unavailable to me after that.

Buckshot said:

I gave it another 4 or 5 more hours for a total of 12.

I kept playing on hopes it would get better as recommended by some.

Sadly, that's not the case... and seemingly just gets lamer as the game goes on. I'm saddened they deviated this much from what made Fallout 3 and New Vegas a success, as none of it's here, and everything just continues to feel broken or out of place. Even generic. I guess they were going for a STALKER-meets-RAGE sort of vibe?

Poor design decisions I guess. Apparently, I keep running into random workshops that keep asking me to partake in things I have literally no desire (nor time) to do, like build houses or bases or something (please don't tell me they are trying to do the minecraft fort bullshit in this), and all sorts of non-sensical weapon/armor/whatever upgrades.

I really just want my $60 back now.

I think you're still within the refund window on Steam. The settlement shit doesn't interest me at all. As soon as that npc in Sanctuary with the pompadour hair asked me for help in building shit I noped right out of it. Instead of having many large established towns with lively npcs and quests - they want you to assburger these goddamn settlements instead.

I may be missing a few shortcuts but I'm a bit frustrated with the poor UI and management tools provided for the settlement builder (but I am growing to enjoy the feature quite a bit). I'm slowly growing settlements one by one based on the best resources readily available however as I recruit more random settlers I struggle to identify who is the new guy with no job (only the odd person introduces themselves). I want a method to look at a vacant task and select it to automatically set an available worker on it. Several times I have been going in circles mistakenly changing a current working settler into a different a role resulting in another settler's job becoming vacant so I have to somewhat keep guessing until they all have a job.

The only method I have to identify who is on what job is by targeting someone within build mode as it highlights both them and the object they are tasked to. Unfortunately I tend to have looting shelves mixed around the place in and out of buildings which makes it a very tedious process (even with the bell bringing all the residents to one location, it is all too tedious).

Another issue is tracking which settlement is under attack. A small message may appear on top of the screen at any time. Possible a couple did when I was in middle of combat and I totally missed it. As a result I generally miss the quest and fail to defend settlements despite me setting defenses in them. I can't be bothered watching my sub quests in my pip-boy every minute just in case an emergency pops up.

I am not a graphics snob, but the graphics and UI in FO4 just look bad tbh. The UI looks incomplete and the graphics are a bit too cartoony for a post-apocalypse. It's a Bethsoft game, so bugs aren't that much of a concern, the graphics are.