Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Reisal

Fallout 4

Thoughts on it? For me, I'm not gonna give a damn until mods come, the game is patched a couple times and price goes down in a sale.

I woke up at 1:30 am, and installed the game, which took about an hour and some change. I had also pre-loaded it several hours beforehand. I managed to get perhaps 4 hours in, before I had to leave for work. I spent a while making my character's face, which I remade again, before embarking into the wasteland. Initially, my character was really ugly, with zits, and had a skinny-fat body (sort of a joke character). Now, I gave him a much cooler physical appearance, and a he-man like body.

I think the beginning pre-apocalyptic segment felt sort of hurried along through. Also one of the very first missions, they give you power armor, and a minigun. Moreover, you face a death claw, as one of the first "mini-bosses". I dislike the fact that they did this so quickly, but I think its to give people a taste of the latter part of combat. At any rate, I've been wandering around since then, and my power armor ran out of energy, so I had to ditch it. Furthermore, I've been running short on ammo; so that challenge is presenting itself currently.

The combat is fun, and the change made to the VATS system make FO4 a better FPS than FO3.

So far I really like the feel of the open-world as well. While fighting some ghouls, they, and the environment are strongly reminiscent of the Walking Dead.

I've been playing it on ultra graphics setting for PC, and its been running great, despite a minor stutter every now and then. But considering my relatively low-end GPU (nividia GTX 460); I'm pleased with the performance.

My verdict: Its awesome!

Glaice said:

Thoughts on it? For me, I'm not gonna give a damn until mods come, the game is patched a couple times and price goes down in a sale.

http://www.forbes.com/forbes/welcome/

Some people already made some graphical preset mods.

The Character creator is awesome. Very loosely modeled my character after Simon Phoenix (Wesley Snipes) in Demolition Man. He's awake from a 200 year cryo nap, wife's dead, baby's kidnapped - it's go time.

There doesn't seem to be as much clutter to sift through as in the previous ones. Crafting feels at times like a tacked on gimmick akin to the Skyrim - Hearthfire DLC. Upgrading your gear means hauling around alot of junk. Thankfully you can select you a mod and it will tell you how much of each you need to complete an upgrade.

Doing away with skills points and just having a perk every level feels like once again - a Skyrim mechanic. Being able to sprint is cool - it drains AP. I'm a bit mixed on the Mass Effect Dialog wheel. It feels like the game still progresses the same, just the different dialog reaction according to your choices. It does make the dialog feel more natural and less expository. Alot less of "monologues to a mute."

I'm mixed on the power armor mechanic. Instead of being a powerful armor you progress to, it's an encouraged mechanic that they want you to find pieces for and upgrade. And it's very early in the game, and it's just standing there upright in the middle of nowhere. I encountered a dick with a minigun and thought about how I'd get chewed up without the armor.

Combat feels alot less clunky, and GFX look decent on my SLI 670's. I didn't opt for the "season pass". That will go down in price and I can evaluate if the extra content is even worth purchasing.

I hate the minimap, is feels less tactile. Like they sacrificed something for gimmicky app integration and expensive plastic. The local map doesn't zoom out as much as it used to. I want to see less of the pip boy model and for the map to take up more of the screen.

Overall, enough crap to keep me occupied for some time.

Glaice said:

I'll get it when it's on GOG.

It runs surprisingly well even though my PC on paper doesn't seem much better than the min requirements. It's already been patched twice since the pre-load on Steam.

The thing that really pisses me off is the wonky key configuration. My ESDF keys screw up the workshop menus so I can't walk around. I also seem to activate far too many objects just by walking into them.

SYS said:

Doing away with skills points and just having a perk every level feels like once again - a Skyrim mechanic.

I'm disappointed to hear this, they just keep removing staple mechanics per every next game they make now it seems.

I share some of my first impressions as the others.

Pros

• Aesthetics are amazing. Almost every moment is a scene worthy of a screen shot. Lots and lots of tiny details even on a brick wall. The Trees are done really well too.

• The combat is superior than Fallout 3. In F4 you're likely to use real time combat more-so than Vats unless you invest in it. Besides I'm finding my Vats ineffective in long range but a good scoped rifle or pistol you can modify allows you to snipe (mostly) one shot kill head shots at long distances in real time. That and you find ranged enemies using cover more, tilting their heads and shooting around corners allowing you to do the same and take aim.

• Good voice acting and animations. We all know Bethesda games are both famous and infamous for their character interaction, well F4 is an improvement on all of the games. You still have a couple soulless looking characters sometimes but it's mostly good. Also the dialogue choices seem to follow the Mass Effect route, which grew on me. And speaking of animations - clumsy ghouls staggering and tripping on themselves is pretty awesome.

• More efficient and streamlined. Lots of little changes to how you loot and heal allows you to quickly take what you need from containers and move without opening a trading screen, however the option to do so is always available by pressing transfer. Radaway and Stimpacks can be used as a shortcut on the home stats screen.

• Added Crafting can be great for practical purposes and giving you minor personal goals to collect particular junk parts around the map. You can turn a rather weak pistol into an high accuracy auto weapon, great for mowing down ghouls or even a scoped gun with a more powerful shot.

• The weapons and the way you can manage them and the inclusion of blocking is a welcomed addition to the series. I actually invest and favorite a good modded blunt weapon to knock back melee specific mutants and save ammo. You can stagger them with heavy attack usually after you do a successful block. If you favorite all your weapons in order you can access all weaponry with the traditional 1 - 9 keys.

• Overall stability and performance is pretty good. A couple textures flickering here and there but overall I'm getting a good frame rate with a mid-high computer on max, no crashes and so far no broken quests.
Cons
  • The Map Seems Smaller. Granted there are more buildings you can enter inside Urban environments which is great but traveling half way through the map is one of the early quests and really looks small to me. I'm concerned about this... but time will tell how much you can really explore and do.

• The Power Armor and Deathclaw encounter was too soon. I haven't even found a trader to sell my stuff at and here I am encumbered, still learning the game yet now have power armor and a minigun at my disposal.

• Too many features at the beginning of the game. It's not too overwhelming but again, before I even found a town/city and a trader to feel established I was encumbered and given power armor to upgrade, a new perk system I'm trying to get my head around, was given most if not all workbenches to cook/upgrade/produce everything and a quest line to already build a settlement with food, water and power which all required various materials and some junk (I really struggled to find copper wiring which put that early quest to a halt) and a quest to travel half way through the map. Mind you, if I deviated from the early quest-line I mostly ran into enemies too powerful for me to handle. I didn't want to kill them all for loot at I couldn't carry anymore anyway.
After a good 5 hours of playing and mistakenly pressing V instead of Q for Vats and mistakenly throwing grenades instead of sneak slowly by holding Alt I finally got the hang of things. I felt relieved when I entered Diamond city which offered plenty of traders to do business with and various side quests. I upgraded a few weapons, found some decent armor (totally ignoring the power armor for now) so now I have reached my favorite part of the game: The freedom to explore, kill, loot and learn at my own pace. Now the addiction is starting to kick in :)

Played a few hours, it is decent for what it is, an unpatched just-released Bethesda game. As a rule, bethesda games when first released are pretty lame. None of their games were awesome out-of-the-box, except maybe Morrowind. People should remember this.

There are no real glaring issues. The internet seems to think power armor is rushed, but you could get power armor within minutes in every fallout game except fallout 1. Which, I am not even sure had power armor (its been so long). Speaking of power armor however, it is a way better mechanic this time around, it is more like a vehicle than a piece of armor. You can't really just slap it on and move and act like a ninja anymore. Just walking in it makes everyone alerted to you (for me at least). So it is really made for assaulting a position, not just casual armor you wear around.

The story is somewhat lackluster, but that is par the course in a bethesda game. Though, I have not gotten too far in it. There seem to only be 4 dialog options. Which again isn't really anything new. Ever since Bethesda has went the voices NPCs option, dialog has been minimal at best in their games. The main concern is that the options are very short words and they do not correspond to what your character will say. "Sarcasm" may be a light joke, or it may be something that will get you killed, and you have no way to tell. Speech checks seem to be gone. I would consider that a con.

The internet seems to be mad at the lack of skills (are we seriously still talking about this?) and the uninteresting quests. As far as skills go, nothing was lost. You can't dumb down the special system, it is a terrible RPG system to begin with. Most benefits you get from skills come in the form of perks. So all bethesda really did was take the skills, reduce them to 5 points instead of 100 while keeping the same curves over all 5 perks. Whether you put 4 points into lock pick, with an upgrade each perk.. or 100 points into lock pick with an upgrade every 25 points, is wholly irrelevant. Literally the only difference is the numbers and how much they matter. 100/100 is the same as 5/5.

As for quests, I have yet to play any game in video game history that had a quest system more complex than collect this/press this switch/talk to this guy/kill this man/go here, do x, come back. Whether it is Ultimate Doom, Planescape Torment, or Fallout 4, all the quests are basically the same few tropes. Fallout 4 doesn't do anything different in this area.

The graphics are kind of meh, but that is what visual mods are for. ENB will be around eventually.

If you approach Fallout 4 as a new platform for experiencing mods from all of the awesome modders in the bethesda games community, then you should probably get Fallout 4. You will likely enjoy it once modding gets going. If not? Well, its up to you I guess. I consider bethesda games to be modding platforms, so I get them to play mods. Most issues in the game can and will be modded out so I don't have much concern for the issues going on right now.

People shouldn't get into all the hype before a game is released because it just sets you up for possible disappointment with it.

Gonna be honest... it feels substantially subpar to fallout 3. Gameplay seems less refined and controls seem pretty unintuiative, if not down right primitive. graphics don't seem much the improvement they should have been for 5 years layer, and the style seems like a plain-generic drab over everything, as if it was designed by sandy peterson. There's also just an insane amount of extra nonsensical shit tossed in in what I feel is a sad attempt to condilute the fact how shallow it is at heart outside of the main story arc.

I think they rushed this, and it's sudden existence and acknowledgment only a few months ago with a near-immediate release date raises my suspicion. Also, the review embargo thing made me even more skeptical.

5 hours in myself, and not sure I'm going to invest another 5. It just feels and plays very akward, as if I'm playing something that was haphazardly slapped together. None of its fluid.

played and modded fallout 3 to death, but this... just not feeling it.

Sorry :/

The best thing about this release is that right now, finally, people will stop with their retarded "where is fo4?!" comments flooding every single Bethesda SOFTWORKS related video and article. It's not gonna last but let's enjoy this moment of peace.

Let me guess, is it another Bethesda game where mods fix everything?

I managed to spoil ending for myself when I looked some of the screenshots, but for me, it seems really, really generic for today's standards. Haven't checked any gameplay videos yet, hope the journey is better than finishing line.

.:edit:.
Had the "pleasure" looking through Metacritic and Steam user reviews. People are really shitting hard on the Metacritic, and even when in Steam it says "Mostly Positive" on user reviews, most of the helpful reviews are "Not Recommended" ones.

Yikes.

Chezza said:

• The Map Seems Smaller.

This is by far my biggest gripe. It's been so long since I played Fallout 3 that I can't use it as a yardstick, but Fallout 4's map seems markedly smaller than Skyrim's.

I wouldn't class this game as a disappointment unless the small map really means small amount of gameplay. Otherwise it looks to be an improvement of Fallout 3 in almost every way (in my opinion).

Better animations, more efficient mechanics, decent dialogue system (although debatable), better combat, more general features and purpose of looting anything not nailed to the ground, better use for a mix of melee and range combat, satisfying weaponry and I don't care what anyone says the game looks sweet.

But if the game is short, holy crap. Those DLCs better be large expansions to the world NOT mini-campaigns with their own land you vanish into.

I no longer feel as lenient in giving Bethesda a pass on all their traditional shortcomings that seem to be as prevalent as ever in this game, some which seem to have gotten even worse like pairing their questionable writing with a voiced PC with Bioware paraphrased dialogue wheels, as well as an even denser more compressed Disneyland world design.

I can't in earnest claim they actually make very good games with modding taken out of the equation. Best to pick them up at a sale later when there are some substantial mods out to fill in the some of the shortcomings.

Touchdown said:

The best thing about this release is that right now, finally, people will stop with their retarded "where is fo4?!" comments flooding every single Bethesda SOFTWORKS related video and article. It's not gonna last but let's enjoy this moment of peace.

Where's TES VI? :p

Finding raiders in power armour is annoying. It's ok that they're hard to kill. It's annoying that the armour modules I take from them are so heavy I can just play phone games while walking back to wherever I kept my set of power armour. I suppose I should just dump them in a chest near the closest fast travel point and be done with it.4

I think I may have encountered my first glitched quest. I was asked to clear out the bandits at the Corvega Assembly Plant, and the quest marker is going wacky on the map. I killed just about everyone I believe, but it keeps telling me to go back inside the facility. Yet when i enter, the marker is placed at some unattainable location. I'm a bit pissed off about that, but so far, I've been enjoying the game.

Glaice said:

Kontra, what does the Forbes "Welcome" page give as a response?

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonevangelho/2015/11/08/the-first-fallout-4-pc-graphics-mod-is-already-available/

whoops, meant to post this instead.

Where'd you get a quest to do that? I went there and cleaned out the place just because it was fun. Now I want to see what that quest will say.

Aliotroph? said:

Where'd you get a quest to do that? I went there and cleaned out the place just because it was fun. Now I want to see what that quest will say.

Warning might be a spoiler in the link*

I guess it wasn't glitched. But I see a few others were wondering about how to beat this mission too. It's easy to miss I guess.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Fallout/comments/3s89r9/minor_generic_quest_spoiler_no_story_last_few/

I totally forgot their names (also not near my pc), but it was the guy that I was sent to, by the first minute man you get the initial power armor quest from. He's all defensive at first, but then you tell him you're with the minute men, and he asked you for help, by sending you to kill the radiers.

Kontra Kommando said:

I think I may have encountered my first glitched quest. I was asked to clear out the bandits at the Corvega Assembly Plant, and the quest marker is going wacky on the map. I killed just about everyone I believe, but it keeps telling me to go back inside the facility. Yet when i enter, the marker is placed at some unattainable location. I'm a bit pissed off about that, but so far, I've been enjoying the game.

That's Bethesda brand bug/glitch right there.

Another thing is Fallout fanboys fucking sicken me who can't accept legitimate negativity about their game. (And no, I'm not calling you one, this is a general statement)

Avoozl said:

But Fallout New Vegas was a great improvement over it.

Yes, because it was developed by obsidian and not bethesda.

Kontra Kommando said:

Warning might be a spoiler in the link*

I guess it wasn't glitched. But I see a few others were wondering about how to beat this mission too. It's easy to miss I guess.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Fallout/comments/3s89r9/minor_generic_quest_spoiler_no_story_last_few/

Ah. When I looked at my map I noticed it says I haven't cleared the factory. I definitely missed the same part as you.

Since I really can't be the only one with wonky keys after a rebind, here's the workaround I used.

Anyone else finding the controls using keyboard and mouse very fiddly? Might just use a controller for this one, it seems to be designed for it.

Bamboozled by the new crafting/workshop/base stuff - I can store inventory items in the various crafting things?

Also, running an AMD card I had to completely disable godrays and reduce the shadows to stop the frame rate chugging. To do this you have to set the graphics preset to low, then change the other settings. Otherwise god rays keeps reverting to low. (NVidia, what are you up to, hmmmm?)

If you want to disable mouse smoothing and increase the FOV you have to change 3 different .ini files, whew!