Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
neubejiita

Quakejeans.com stealing ID software Intellectual Property.

This website: quakejeans.com/ is stealing ID software IP. They have the Quake logo on their website and are claiming it as their IP. This can not happen right? If I did this I would be shafted by lawyers.

Is this something that should be allowed to happen or not?

Quoted from the bottom of the site;

COPYRIGHT WARNING: The content in this website including photos, images, text, html, and designs is registered by QUAKE JEANS and protected by the international copyright laws.
You may not copy, reproduce, download, store, post, broadcast, transmit, modify, sell or make available to the public content from this website without the prior written approval of QUAKE JEANS , vigorously pursues any violation of copyright, site owners are responsible for infringements even if content is provided by an agency or web designer.
QUAKE JEANS uses copyright automated infringement detection tools to search for unauthorized text and images used on other sites, our partners on content identification and tracking technology are TinEye, PixID, Copyscape and Glat Plagiarism Services Inc.
DESIGN © 2013 Alvizz STUDIOS. All Rights Reserved.

Maybe they do not know about ID software? But they have the logo on every image when you mouse over.

That logo is different from the Quake logo, the middle stem goes right to the top, it has a foot at the bottom, and it is not symmetrical like the Quake logo.

So I doubt this would qualify as "IP theft" or a trademark violation.

This is not a trademark violation, believe it or not. That only applies to cases where the copy might easily be confused with the original. Since no one can reasonably confuse a video game with a pair of jeans, trademark law does not apply.

Of course that wouldn't prevent lawyers from suing anyway and trying to bankrupt them with legal fees. They're probably just gambling on Bethesda not finding it worth their while. Unless of course this is outside the USA (and it appears that it is), in which case they're totally in the clear.

That's ridiculous. How can they possibly get away with it? Just because they aren't selling a game? Not only do the Symbols look identical but the name even shares hand in hand with the logo. If the court has any rationale they would clearly see this as a violation and I hope they get what's coming.

Stop people from pirating games - but totally steal names and logos to profit your entire business model. Sure.

neubejiita said:

(picture of a shop)

Apparently, this was the previous logo...

That one is clearly a straight rip of the Quake3 logo, and definitely a copyright violation (probably a trademark violation, assuming the Q3 logo is actually trademarked which it may not be).

Seems like they have smartened up and changed it now though.

Chezza said:

If the court has any rationale they would clearly see this as a violation

I don't think you understand how the legal process works.

Chezza said:

Stop people from pirating games - but totally steal names and logos

You're confusing copyright and trademark, but whatever...

Not gonna lie, I was seriously considering shopping around to see if there were some good pants to buy, but its tough to shop with oily abs in your face.

10 years from now, someone who doesn't know better, will see Quake the game, and wonder if its about jeans.

Cool stuff, is constantly being appropriated by mainstream culture; homogenized, and bastardized for profit. Quake is just one of many things.

AndrewB said:

This is not a trademark violation, believe it or not. That only applies to cases where the copy might easily be confused with the original. Since no one can reasonably confuse a video game with a pair of jeans, trademark law does not apply.

Are you sure? Ok, clothing versus an old video game no one is going to be confused about what product does what. But what about misleading consumers into thinking that possibly the original company had something to do with the branding of this new product? Like if Kellogg's made a 'Mickey Mouse' cereal with a cartoon character on the box that sort-of looks like the actual Disney character.

I should be the dumb one and say, someone should make a Quake Mod were you fight evil pants or something

I'm pretty sure the logo is different enough for them to avoid having a sueball chucked at them, but IANAL.

If id/Bethesda/Zenimax haven't got around to registering the Quake logo as a trademark in Columbia, it's fair game. Though Quake Jeans could have problems exporting their product to places like the US of A.