Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MeetyourUnmaker

So what is the best Zelda game?

i've kind of had a falling out with the Zelda series recently. i've felt zero urge to go back and replay some of the games i played a lot back then, mainly Ocarina of Time and Wind Waker. i tried going into Wind Waker after i was done with Metroid Prime, but it seriously bored the hell out of me and i turned it off either before or after clearing the first dungeon. and i'm not talking about that atrocious stealth dungeon in the beginning, either.

i remember Link to the Past being pretty good, though. not really anything special in the music or graphics department, honestly, but it was a lot more fun to PLAY than Wind Waker was. i'd probably enjoy A Link Between Worlds from what i've seen, but Nintendo has to do way better than that to lure me into getting a 3DS (Federation Force turned me off quite a bit from wanting to get the damn console, and i still want my damn Advance Wars on it (yes i know it's not a Nintendo franchise now technically.))

i can't get into the first Zelda game. the controls are way too antiquated for me to enjoy it and i die all the time. and i'm not even going to bother with Zelda 2 since it's not my cup of tea at all.

Ocarina of Time... i should replay that sometime. it's not bad. Majora's Mask i've never gotten into because of the time gimmick. Twilight Princess i haven't tried out much either and should give it a go. and the DS games i've never even touched and have no idea how they're like, likewise the Gameboy ones.

Doomhuntress said:

i've kind of had a falling out with the Zelda series recently. i've felt zero urge to go back and replay some of the games i played a lot back then, mainly Ocarina of Time and Wind Waker. i tried going into Wind Waker after i was done with Metroid Prime, but it seriously bored the hell out of me and i turned it off either before or after clearing the first dungeon. and i'm not talking about that atrocious stealth dungeon in the beginning, either.

i remember Link to the Past being pretty good, though. not really anything special in the music or graphics department, honestly, but it was a lot more fun to PLAY than Wind Waker was. i'd probably enjoy A Link Between Worlds from what i've seen, but Nintendo has to do way better than that to lure me into getting a 3DS (Federation Force turned me off quite a bit from wanting to get the damn console, and i still want my damn Advance Wars on it (yes i know it's not a Nintendo franchise now technically.))

i can't get into the first Zelda game. the controls are way too antiquated for me to enjoy it and i die all the time. and i'm not even going to bother with Zelda 2 since it's not my cup of tea at all.

Ocarina of Time... i should replay that sometime. it's not bad. Majora's Mask i've never gotten into because of the time gimmick. Twilight Princess i haven't tried out much either and should give it a go. and the DS games i've never even touched and have no idea how they're like, likewise the Gameboy ones.

I'd recommend Majora's Mask 3DS (it fixes a lot of issues, and also if you play the Song of Reverse Time you can slow down time, and plus you can travel back in time. It's pretty cool, I like MM a lot, and I feel it's really dark and awesome, and it's my favorite personally.)

Though Twilight Princess HD is coming out 3/4/16, so if you can get it for the Wii U, you should get it. It's the definitive version of Twilight Princess, and it's awesome! =D

I can't pick a favorite because the 2D and 3D games play so differently.

2D - Link to the Past
3D - Ocarina of Time

I didn't like MM. There just wasn't enough dungeons and the game was very frustrating due to the 3 Day time limit. If there was a way to just freeze time so i could enjoy the dungeons and the settings it would of been a lot better. And collecting those GOD DAMN FAIRIES in each dungeon was the opposite of fun. Probably the worst zelda imo.

I have yet to play Skyward Sword and a full play through of Twilight Princess.

I'm surprised how few have played Link's Awakening, yet enjoy LTTP. LA is a similar game but I just found it more straightforward and fun to explore. As I stated before I'm not really a huge fan of the series, but that one in particular is definitely in my top 10.

I haven't played it since I had a Gameboy. I did buy it for the VC DS but have yet to try it.

Doomkid said:

I'm surprised how few have played Link's Awakening, yet enjoy LTTP. LA is a similar game but I just found it more straightforward and fun to explore. As I stated before I'm not really a huge fan of the series, but that one in particular is definitely in my top 10.

I was a deprived child who didn't have a gameboy :(

May pick it up soon though. Always wanted to try it out. I did however have minish cap which was pretty good

Majora's Mask, A Link to the Past are probably my favorite Zelda games.

I find OOT to be overrated as fuck and not that good of a game.

Tritnew said:

Majora's Mask, A Link to the Past are probably my favorite Zelda games.

I find OOT to be overrated as fuck and not that good of a game.

Agreed. Majora's Mask is the BEST Zelda game IMHO. A Link to the Past is the second best Zelda. I've really grown to appreciate just how awesome ALTTP really is. It's a great Zelda game man. :D I 100% ALTTP 3 TIMES ALREADY! :D

I think a problem with MM is its short campaign, the game relies a bit too much more on the side quests.

Avoozl said:

I think a problem with MM is its short campaign, the game relies a bit too much more on the side quests.

I like the side quests though. If you 100% complete MM you end up feeling happy and satisfied IMHO. :3

I didn't have zelda for NES, but I really liked The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past for SNES. I recall pushing people off of cliffs and watching them fall into a seemingly endless pit, was pretty satisfying.

Also, I probably beat OfT at least 5 times.

The Adventures of Link on the NES was the first video game I ever seen and when I could finally understand it, it gave me my first video game experience and was something I could do with my mom and dad. I think each Zelda gets better with each iteration, but because of my past I have to give the crown to the already lavish gold cartridge.

Edit: The 3D Java 30th anniversary version on the internet archive shows a lot of potential... I'm sad that it isn't likely to be finished.

I only played the first two NES games, and prefer Zelda II by a small margin. But they were both amazing to me.
Also really liked Castlevania II and Faxanadu.

The old 2D ones were good...but I played the Nintendo64 versions first, so those are the ones I like best due to their nostalgic value ane beauty, both aestheically and musically.

Captain Red said:

Dark Souls

lol I was going to say that, but honestly my fave is the first one on nes.

Doomhuntress said:

and the DS games i've never even touched and have no idea how they're like, likewise the Gameboy ones.

The capcom ones for the gameboy color were good (I enjoyed them, but it's been awile) oricel of seasons and ages. Shame they never made the third one like planned.

HavoX said:

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. What you said was one of them.

I completely agree with you. I dont believe that there is a "best game ever made" because it all comes down to preference. Yet there is a majority of people who try to shove the idea that OoT is in fact the best game ever made down everyone's throat and more and more people are presenting this "idea" as a fact in the gaming community.

I avoided the first DS Zelda games, I didn't like how Phantom Hourglass was point and click, nor Spirit Tracks idea of driving a train in a Zelda game.

2D - A Link to the Past/Oracle of Ages/Seasons

3D - Ocarina of Time/Twilight Princess

other - Hyrule Warriors Legends

It's really hard for me to pick just one, I'm a huge Zelda fanboy.
I like the Zelda series even more than Doom, ha, ha.

I mean... They're both two different games, but hey. Who doesn't love Nintendo.

Most Sonic fans don't, I know that much.

Best? That's a cross between Link to the Past and Ocarina of Time, but my favourite is Twilight Princess.

The last Zelda game I bought was Skyward Sword Collector's Edition. Got that sweet anniversary orchestral album. Never did finish the game, though. I had an almost completely inclusive Zelda collection (including the multiple version releases on GBA, Gamecube, etc). I was only lacking Spirit Tracks. Since Skyward Sword, however, I haven't gotten anything. I see now there's like a dozen games I'm missing...I saw Twilight Princess HD in the stores today and had a short personal time of lamentation. I don't own a WiiU. :(