Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Linguica

Nintendo Deletes Every Stage By Prominent Mario Maker Speedrunner

http://kotaku.com/nintendo-deletes-every-stage-by-prominent-mario-maker-s-1766213101

Nintendo has a real problem on its hands with Mario Maker. Left and right, creators are seeing their levels removed from the online servers without an explanation. David “GrandPOObear” Hunt, a speedrunner who makes a living streaming games, is the latest victim. All of his levels have vanished.

Stars are equivalent to “likes” in the Mario Maker community, a way for players to recommend a stage. Nintendo regularly deletes unpopular stages, making stars a precious commodity. It keeps your stages alive.

“Streaming Mario Maker is 90% of my stream, which is 90% of my overall income so far in 2016,” Hunt told me today.

Just a reminder that there are several individuals with active grudges against the /idgames archive (and related services, ahem) because it has extremely minimal packaging / formatting requirements and doesn't accept things that are actively malicious. Meanwhile, Nintendo just deletes people's shit willy nilly with no explanation or recourse, but whatever.

Is Mario Maker a big deal? The first Mario game came out in the 80's, I guess people made hundreds of level editors and level archives since then. Is Mario Maker somehow important despite that? I remember when it was announced some of my acquaintances (holy crap this word is difficult to spell) overseas got really excited. It seemed so weird to me that people would get excited about a new level editor for a 30+ years old game. What am I missing? I don't realy know much about the Mario community, is there something special about this thing?

It's the "main" classic Mario games, all bundled into one easy asset and with a file sharing system that doesn't require hacking, patching, extensive modding knowledge etc - The appeal is easy to see once you own it, if you're a fan of classic Mario.

Well, in theory anyway, if you use Lunar Magic to make your SMW mod, at least it won't be randomly deleted!

Honestly if there's no way to back your creations up onto your own personal storage then I have no idea why anyone would bother with this.

Why doesn't Nintendo have Mario Maker on the PC as well where you COULD store your own creations?

It is still stored on your game locally right? You can have something like 48 levels stored. If they remove those, I could see that being the end of Mario Maker.

Glaice said:

Why doesn't Nintendo have Mario Maker on the PC as well where you COULD store your own creations?

Nintendo branching out their IP's onto other platforms? Don't be silly. Nintendo doesn't really have a brilliant business ethos. They tend to make dumb decisions from time to time, this being one of them.

They even openly admitted they'd never looked to see what Microsoft and Sony are doing regarding online play and ease of access - It's no wonder playing Nintendo stuff online sucks so hard. Here in AUS, it's now a scarce rarity to find an online match of SSB4, and that's one of the few games I play regularly, so it's a real kick on the nuts.

Deliberate ignorance has caused/is causing a few excellent games' lifespans to be greatly reduced. If they had a basic halfwit lobby system, the game would be exponentially more popular over the net.

They make a habit of shooting themselves in the foot. Not sure why they like cheating themselves out of money and fans, but.. I guess that's their choice. It's just a shame as I like my Wii U and the games/methods of play are a few minor tweaks from being exponentially better..

Pedro VC said:

lol

Lots of people already make their living doing arbitrary, pointless shit. Writing, making music, playing sports and so on all fall into that category. But, if people want to watch you do your thing and they buy your merch then there's a legitimate living to be made. The problem is that online media platforms put too much power in too few hands. A songwriter that gets screwed by their label can find a new one. Athletes can get signed to a new team. Youtubers and streamers are fucked.

Somehow I doubt storage space has anything to do with it. Nintendo just wants to feel like they're maintaining a "premium" experience.

Maybe Nintendo can make their games even more premium in the future by deleting save states for people who are taking too long to finish.

AndrewB said:

Maybe Nintendo can make their games even more premium in the future by deleting save states for people who are taking too long to finish.

That will make people lose trust in Nintendo even more.

How do we know if Nintendo is truly doing it or that this guy is simply trying to make Nintendo look bad by deleting them himself?

Seeing as this guy's income is so reliant on his levels and the stars and medals attached to his name, seems like it'd be shooting himself in the face to delete them. Albeit got him press coverage, but you can't exactly bring publicity to levels that don't exist. You'd also think Nintendo would know if the levels were deleted by the user or not.

Besides, this is the company that not too long ago targeted speedrunners on YouTube and hack/mod videos on Nico Nico.

Linguica said:

Just a reminder that there are several individuals with active grudges against the /idgames archive (and related services, ahem) because it has extremely minimal packaging / formatting requirements and doesn't accept things that are actively malicious. Meanwhile, Nintendo just deletes people's shit willy nilly with no explanation or recourse, but whatever.

Is that what this thread is about?

Avoozl said:

How do we know if Nintendo is truly doing it or that this guy is simply trying to make Nintendo look bad by deleting them himself?

This.
To me it looks like the guy is hunting for some easy attention, and it might e that he already has some sort of grudge against Nintendo.

Neutrino said:

To me it looks like the guy is hunting for some easy attention, and it might e that he already has some sort of grudge against Nintendo.

Consider the middle road: Nintendo did the deleting, because the guy was behaving like a troll probing the limits of what he can get away with.

If Nintendo really had a problem with the word "poo," they should have had it in the list of banned words you can't name a stage as in the first place.

Interestingly enough, this isn't a new thing, either. It seems peoples' courses have been removed without explanation since January of this year.