Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AndrewB

Super Mario World Flappy Bird

There's a video going around today of, well...

Okay, so a guy is a playing a version of Flappy Bird using Super Mario World graphics. You can probably imagine it. The Mario character is flapping through a series of pipes placed at different heights.

No big deal, you might think. Someone probably could have coded this thing up in Java in a day if they had the skillz.

But see, the thing is... This group of guys figured out how to make this happen on the actual game ROM itself...

But.... they did this on an actual SNES console. Using the actual Super Mario World game cartridge...

using nothing but actual button presses, HUMAN button presses, on legitimate SNES hardware inside the game itself.......

I just ..... can't even .... anymore........

That's more nuts than nuts.wad, but I'll stick with Flappy Doom for the occasional frustration.

Use3D said:

How does anyone come up with this shit.

There are known bugs that allow one to cause the processor to jump to certain addresses in memory. By manipulating objects in the level and controller registers, one can set up the RAM to have arbitrary code executed when one of these bugs is carried out.

For more information look at the author's commentary for any of the movies on this page. If you know a bit about programming (hex/binary, basic knowledge of assembly language and computer architecture) you should be able to get a gist of what's going on.

I heard of a dude who beat the entire game in seconds doing some trick like this, he also made his own ending screen with custom sprites, I'll try and find a link to it once I have enough motivation

BluePineapple72 said:

I heard of a dude who beat the entire game in seconds doing some trick like this, he also made his own ending screen with custom sprites, I'll try and find a link to it once I have enough motivation

The custom sprites part isn't too difficult, that just needs an editor like YY-CHR or YY-CHR.NET. But if they actually reprogrammed the ending screen, then that takes a bit more talent, yeah.

TAS and non-TAS speedruns have a category, "arbitrary code execution". This has been a category of speedrunning which is gaining in popularity. First I saw was the Pokémon Yellow run which redirects the stairs in the bedroom you start in to take you to the Hall of Fame, essentially beating the game.

This particular run is done by corrupting a save file by turning off the game as it's saving, causing the game to be playable but 'broken', allowing item menus and other such things to let the play access areas typically prohibited - this allows the player to manipulate the RAM.

Check on TASVideos for a list of Arbitrary Code Execution TAS's - http://tasvideos.org/Movies-C3050Y.html

Some people like to take it a step further and program new games within a game, for example, the Flappy Bird video above, or as seen at AGDQ, pong and snake.

...I fucking love this stuff.