OK, this is not really about something that happened, but something that happened recently. One day the computer was acting slow. My mom alleged that it "was all that Doom shit taking up space", to put it in her exact words. Since I didn't want to hear her chew me out for "taking up all the space on the hard drive with the Doom junk", I headed outside. My dad jumped on the computer and naturally started deleting things left and right. This included my old Doom directory. Thankfully I had Doom and Doom2 saved in a .rar file named cheese.rar (heh!). "There, all that Doom stuff's off there," he proclaimed.
Hehehe, little did he know....
Anyway, I hate when parents do things like that. My mom and dad didn't even take into account all the other miscellaneous fluff such as WinAMP or KaZaA that my brothers have strewn all over the hard drive. When something goes wrong, the blame is laid on me and Doom.
Ironic, since most of the error message headings clearly state "WinAMP" or "KaZaA". Now just how dumb is that?

Share this post


Link to post

Doesn't look like you are going to win this one through reason. Get a new hard disk or a new computer.

Share this post


Link to post
Fucker/Hater said:

Get some new parents.

But that would solve only half the problem. I have two brothers, and besides, I've gotten somewhat attached to my current mom and dad :)

Get a new computer.

Believe me, I wish I could. Oh, how I wish I could. Just one of my own... /me drools at the thought

Share this post


Link to post

You said in that doom dir poll that your doom stuff all took up about 450 megs before your dad deleted it. Kazaa and Winamp together take up about 5 megs.

Then again, there's the shit you can download with Kazaa...

Share this post


Link to post

Exactly. In my KaZaA dir, there's about 338 megs worth of MP3s and such nonsense.
My Doom dir is currently being rebuilt-I just got through downloading Hell Revealed. Got to have that.

Share this post


Link to post
DooMBoy said:

Exactly. In my KaZaA dir, there's about 338 megs worth of MP3s and such nonsense.
My Doom dir is currently being rebuilt-I just got through downloading Hell Revealed. Got to have that.


Only 338? My music dir is some odd 1.5 gigs not counting the 6 ripped cds I have yet to encode and the some 50 or 60 cds I have yet to rip. How much HD space do you have anyway?

Share this post


Link to post

Currently, about 18 gigs. Not bad.
But like I said, there's many, many other useless programs scattered all over my hard drive, not just the ones I mentioned. Believe me, they are there.

Share this post


Link to post

Give the doom directory hidden, readonly and system attributes. Easy to get around but it sound like your parents would be too clueless to work out how :)

Share this post


Link to post

Convince your parents to buy a CD burner, and copy all your WADs onto CD.

Share this post


Link to post
fraggle said:

Give the doom directory hidden, readonly and system attributes. Easy to get around but it sound like your parents would be too clueless to work out how :)

I've put it on hidden, how do I turn it off and make it visible again?

Share this post


Link to post

In explorer, go to View > Hidden Files

EDIT: Nevermind, thats not where it is. There is some way in explorer thats easy to get hidden files visible though. I always have everything visible, so I never think about it.

Share this post


Link to post
SCBC said:

OK, this is not really about something that happened, but something that happened recently.

So it is about something that did really happen? Dewmboy you win teh prize!

Share this post


Link to post

Man, I was gonna get him on that.

Stupid mods.

DC

Share this post


Link to post
the_Danarchist said:

In explorer, go to View > Hidden Files

EDIT: Nevermind, thats not where it is. There is some way in explorer thats easy to get hidden files visible though. I always have everything visible, so I never think about it.

[open any directory] > View > Folder Options... > View > Files and Folders > Hidden Files > Show all files

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now