Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Stygian

How many hours do you spend per week on the Internet?

In a given week, how much time do you spend parked in front of your computer screen browsing the intrawebz? What proportion of those hours are productive? To what degree do you regret your past online activities? If you were to cease all aimless technology use, what would you do with your newly allocated time?

I bring this up as I just finished reading a thread on some other forum in which some psychotically depressed man eviscerated his own balls, sealed up his sack with super-glue and documented the entire process for all to see. Midterms are next week and this is what I occupy myself with. Why?

That took an unexpected gruesome turn.. The honest answer is, far too long, but a decent amount of it is productive or work related.

Stygian said:

I bring this up as I just finished reading a thread on some other forum in which some psychotically depressed man eviscerated his own balls, sealed up his sack with super-glue and documented the entire process for all to see.

so, first off, i'm sad to say that i too have seen this.
secondly, i would say that i spend around 41 hours on the internet

I think 40 hours on average, sometimes more or less depending on irl stuff. Productive time is quite low I guess, but it depends on the period for me, if I feel to search or document myself on certain things I'll just do it.

Stygian said:

Midterms are next week and this is what I occupy myself with. Why?

Heh, I did the same thing. Idk why but it's really easy to just keep to browsing at random crap even though you know you are just wasting time.

Let's see, aside from work and sleep, I probably spend about 65 hours a week on the net. Been pretty consistent since about 2013.

roadworx said:

so, first off, i'm sad to say that i too have seen this.
secondly, i would say that i spend around 41 hours on the internet

I've been struggling with Internet overuse/abuse for a while, but this was kind of a new low. The existential crisis really kicked into overdrive. Just wanted to see if anyone else shares my problems or if anybody has managed to gain some self-control and turn things around. Right now, I wish I could just go cold turkey and cease all pointless Internet use forever.

Waaaay too much. I've been struggling with this for, I don't know, 8 years at least? Basically ever since I got permanent computer access I guess. It's really frustrating that almost every night when I go to sleep I have thoughts like "well, I wasted a lot of time on stupid shit today...". Sometimes I have short periods where I manage to control myself very well and use internet only when I absolutely need or in very small portions at least, but I always quickly go back to my old habits. I tried quitting various forums and games several times, even went as far as to request that I get banned, but I would always either return or find something else to waste time on. So yeah, the internet fucking sucks and I don't know what to do. I guess I might as well try learning self-control again for the 1000th time, inspired by this very thread. OK, so from now on I'm only allowed to visit Doomworld once a day and when I'm done reading new posts and responding to them I have to close it, let's see how this goes... See you tomorrow...

Around 92 to 100 or so hours per week... At least. I'm always on it. Doing one thing or another. Mostly for music or projects of any sort, and videos games of course.

Welp. I've done exactly what I wanted to avoid doing by creating this thread. Maybe I will reappear on a weekly basis or something. Who knows?

I call myself an 'avid computer user' but I guess that would translate to 'computer junkie'. I usually spend whole days online browsing and chatting, if I'm not doing that then I'm playing something. So it's internet abuse and a predominant gaming hobby.

I would read more books if I had no internet.

Way too much time, I can tell you that much. I have other hobbies that don't involve technology, like drawing and reading, but I seldom indulge in those because the people I live with are really intrusive and don't let me concentrate when I'm drawing or reading.

Stygian said:

I just finished reading a thread on some other forum in which some psychotically depressed man eviscerated his own balls, sealed up his sack with super-glue and documented the entire process for all to see.

Ehh, do you have a link for that? You got me curious now.

Well, I think I waste about 40 hours or more on the Internet, but I also waste a lot of time on, well, video games. That, and my overall laziness are the reasons why soon I'm gonna get banned from my university.

HorrorMovieGuy said:

Way too much time, I can tell you that much. I have other hobbies that don't involve technology, like drawing and reading, but I seldom indulge in those because the people I live with are really intrusive and don't let me concentrate when I'm drawing or reading.

Ehh, do you have a link for that? You got me curious now.

Agreed that it's hard to concentrate on creative pursuits without going full hermit mode.

Here's the link for the morbidly curious. I am not responsible for any loss of employment or sanity that might result from viewing this:

Sheesh. If were counting time spent on my phone too it would probably somewhere between 10-15 hours. Where do you guys get all the time?

Oh yeah, I forgot that I'm also using the phone. So, if counting all the time I spend on the Internet and/or games, both on my computer and my phone, then it can reach up to 14 hours a day.

That's kind of not good.

Hmm yea if I include time spent on my phone whilst idle at work and during lunch hour and such it probably reaches into the 80 hour range.

40oz said:

Sheesh. If were counting time spent on my phone too it would probably somewhere between 10-15 hours. Where do you guys get all the time?

I have no life except work, sleep, and sitting at my PC.

Almost all day like most of us nerds like myself.

Almost because:

I tend to go on bikerides if the weather is nice unless I'm tired
Art sessions
Working on my wads
If it's out for a couple of hours

For a good portion of you, remember, what feels like wasting time is often wholly necessary mental down time. Most of it may be "wasted" but if it keeps you going, that's still pretty important.

My internet time in the past few days has been horrid. Case in point, it's 11:30 PM, and I have class at 8:30 AM. I'm still working on the assigned work which should have been done a week ago. Add two more classes on top of this for Wednesday and holly shit balls why have I been on the net so long.

Let's calculate... Hmmmm,.. 1 hour on a morning, 1 hour on job + 6 hours in home * 7 = 72 hours in week.

Azuruish said:

Let's calculate... Hmmmm,.. 1 hour on a morning, 1 hour on job + 6 hours in home * 7 = 72 hours in week.

(1 + 1 + 6) * 7 would be 56.

Regarding the topic: way too many

I don't blame him for using super-glue to seal the wound. Seven years ago I was practicing with throwing knives, and decided to move up to machetes. I was doing pretty well, but one time the machete hit on the hilt, bounced off the tree I was throwing at, and hit me in the chin. It bled for about three hours, and once it stopped I closed the wound with super-glue and it healed up within 2 days. It was kind of neat, I could open the wound in my chin and see inside my jaw. But it healed nicely, there's just a small scar on my jaw at this point.

I spend about 2 hours on the internet.

Jello said:

I don't blame him for using super-glue to seal the wound. Seven years ago I was practicing with throwing knives, and decided to move up to machetes. I was doing pretty well, but one time the machete hit on the hilt, bounced off the tree I was throwing at, and hit me in the chin. It bled for about three hours, and once it stopped I closed the wound with super-glue and it healed up within 2 days. It was kind of neat, I could open the wound in my chin and see inside my jaw. But it healed nicely, there's just a small scar on my jaw at this point.

Congratulations, you cheated Darwinism.

Anyway, 30-40 hours I guess. When I was younger it was a great deal more, though I don't regret any of it. Mental down time is indeed just as important as anything else.

DoomUK said:

Congratulations, you cheated Darwinism.

Yeah, I really did. A few inches lower and it would've gone into my neck, few inches higher and I would've been blind; I was lucky it hit my jaw. I stopped throwing machetes after that. At the very least I'm smart enough to learn from a lesson.

AD_79 said:

(1 + 1 + 6) * 7 would be 56.

Regarding the topic: way too many

Ammm. In my defense I can say I forgot to count the weekends.
But yeah... Bad calculating.