Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Voros

Procedurely-Generated Games

There really isn't much of such games (excluding runner games).
I'm gonna try to list them out as much as possible. I also would like to see your recommendations.
No fantasy related games, please? OK. Don't want it so long.
Must be something... Recognized by the world and enjoyed, whatever the age is. 3D if you wish.
Nor should it be something Doom related (mods, Zdoom, etc.). Think outside the box.

• SCP - Containment Breach
    A horror game based on the stories of the SCP Foundation. Project leader and main developer, Regalis. Runs on the Blitz 3D engine.
  • Strafe
    A FPS game based around the story template of Doom, Quake, Wolfenstein 3D, etc. Developed by Pixel Titans. Runs on the Unity engine.
  • SCP - 087
    A horror game based on SCP-087, the Endless Stairwell. Developed by *. Runs on the Unity engine.
  • SCP - 087 - B
    A horror game based on the SCP-087, but as a spin off. Developed by Regalis. Runs on the Blitz 3D engine.
  • Minecraft
    A sandbox game, produced by 3D cubes. Developed by Mojang AB. Runs on the * engine.
  • Worms
    A strategy/artillery game involving worms with weapons, played in two teams of worms.. Developed by *. Runs on the * engine.
  • Pocket Tanks
    A strategy/artillery game involving two tanks, played in turns. Developed by Michael P. Welch. Runs on the * engine.
  • 7 Days to Die
    A FPS/horror sandbox game focused on survival. Developed by The Fun Pimps. Runs on the * engine.

Maybe 90% of The Elder Scrolls Arena is randomly generated. Before DOSBox it was entirely possible to break your game due to memory issues if you exploited the dungeon generation by reloading a save prior to entering it to get a better dungeon.

The various Tile sets from Warframe have randomly generated layouts, so for example, a mission you play on Venus would have the same objective, but the layout would always be different when you play it again.

There's an olde RPG called Dungeon Hack that has the possibility of generating billions of dungeons which are sharable using dungeon seed numbers. Not sure if that's procedural or not tho.

ChekaAgent said:

As far as I know, in Worms games there is a random map generator.

That doesn't really count, but I see what you mean.
... I miss Pocket Tanks.

I've been playing a roguelite twin-stick shooter called NeuroVoider recently. It's on Early Access right now (yes, I know), and it's a lot of fun. I normally don't buy games in EA but this is one of my few exceptions.

While I'm at it, there's a lot of roguelike/roguelite games out there. Personally, I like Binding of Isaac (Rebirth), FTL: Faster than Light, and Rogue Legacy.

AD_79 said:

While I'm at it, there's a lot of roguelike/roguelite games out there. Personally, I like Binding of Isaac (Rebirth), FTL: Faster than Light, and Rogue Legacy.

If you like FTL, try "Convoy." It's not quite as refined as FTL, mechanically and graphically, but it has an interesting combat system and the writing is great. It's set in a sci-fi Mad Max-esque wasteland.

AD_79 said:

I played Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup every day for about 3 years when I was in school, and only quit because I wanted more time to do other things and couldn't moderate myself properly. Rogue Legacy is really good too, though I did feel like I was done with it once I'd beat it and found/unlocked everything. Spelunky is another good one in a similar vein.

Also, DWARF FORTRESS.

AD_79 said:

I've been playing a roguelite twin-stick shooter called NeuroVoider recently. It's on Early Access right now (yes, I know), and it's a lot of fun. I normally don't buy games in EA but this is one of my few exceptions.

That looks like a ton of fun! Really nice art and music too. Thanks for sharing :D

Elite (although the galaxies are not random, they're the same every time).

Nethack and basically every roguelike ever.

Voros said:

No fantasy related games, please? OK.
Must be something "not-old". 3D if you wish.

Huh? Never mind then.

fraggle said:

Elite (although the galaxies are not random, they're the same every time).

Nethack and basically every roguelike ever.

Huh? Never mind then.

Ah crap, didn't notice the 'no fantasy games' blurb earlier. Not sure why that's an issue. Ahh shit, I also broke the 'not olde' rule. I'm going the hell home.

Would SCP be fantasy or science fiction? There's a lot of scientists involved, but all of the SCPs have no logical explanation and just kind of exist by their own rules and are basically magic. I guess since it's set in the modern day it's definitely not high fantasy, but all of the transdimensional and horror themes leads me to believe it would be best described as sort of a lovecraftian horror science fiction type of deal.

FTL is a great choice for a proc-gen game! There's also a heck of a lot of ships to try out on each run!

SPELUNKY is a controller destroyer, but it's a damn fine proc-gen platformer. It takes a lot to get the game mechanics right, but it's always a (raging) fun time once you know how.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/239350/

TOWERCLIMB is another good (also hard) proc-gen platformer, but i have yet to play it.
FORCED SHOWDOWN seems very fun. it's a proc-gen top down shooter with card game mechanics, like Hearthstone. I yet to play this one, as well.

Also i have to break a rule of the fantasy, cause ZIGGURAT is probably the best proc-gen shooter i have played. Seriously. Lots of enemies, lots of bosses, HELL OF A LOT of item/weapons to use, and quite a variation of rooms. It's damn fun. It's super fun. Please try it.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/308420/?snr=1_7_15__13

I am surprised nobody mentioned Torchlight, Torchlight 2 and the two tile based Diablo games here. Ziggurat on Steam is also procedurally generated, as are a handful of others with varying levels of randomness.

7 Days to Die.

This is one of many Early Access and Kickstarter survival zombie projects. I know I know, must be a short lived poorly made game. But I will argue that it is in fact one of the best around - or the best imo. It has a random map generator or you can choose an existing pre-made world however as soon as you reach beyond the borders it will continue to develop the world on its own.

This game is half Dayz and Minecraft. You can craft a numerous amount of items and you can dig and destroy any piece of terrain, prop and wall with very minimal exclusions. As you explore you could run into a variety of biomes that contain unique resources for that particular area and may find abandoned houses, sheds, cemeteries, shops, towns, cities, military outposts and so much more.

Every 7th day of the week is a Red Moon. This is where a horde of zombies know exactly where you are and hunt you down, hence the name of the game. To make matters worse, zombies run at night. Ideally you would create spike traps around your base or mines or large pits and so on. Some people who find or craft advance tools create deep underground bases which tend to lose the attention of the horde.

This game has quickly become one of my favorites. Thanks to the procedural generated maps and the massive amount of content the game always feels fresh albeit a bit overwhelming at the start (they just introduced a small tutorial system).

Glaice said:

I am surprised nobody mentioned Torchlight, Torchlight 2 and the two tile based Diablo games here. Ziggurat on Steam is also procedurally generated, as are a handful of others with varying levels of randomness.

He said no fantasy games. :p

I just discovered an early access game called "Bunker Punks" which may match what the OP wants. Needs proper work and hand crafted levels but it looks promising.

http://www.baronygame.com/
Barony. It's an awesome realtime roguelike with multiplayer. The developers are not only awesome, but currently cleaning up the code for open source.
It's a fucking blast coop, and is solely responsible for my current roguelike obsession.

Edit: Phuck! Just read the "no fantasy" line. I'm so stupid! (*Punches head*)

Doom Dude said:

Ah crap, didn't notice the 'no fantasy games' blurb earlier. Not sure why that's an issue. Ahh shit, I also broke the 'not olde' rule. I'm going the hell home.

Absolutely strange restrictions, I tell ya hwat. Saying "no old games" actually seems kinda laughable considering this is a Doom forum.

I'm curious to see how Strafe will handle procedural generation. (It's oldschool themed, in a sense - does that break the rules? I guess not since Minecraft is kinda old school themed, visually.. Such an arbitrary set of games to discount.. Lots of interesting fantasy and "old" games out there. How old IS old, anyways?)

UNLOVED has random levels. I think it has a system similiar to STRAFE in the sense that in constructs maps out of pre-made chunks.