Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tracer

What is your favorite movie of all time?

Hot Fuzz
Her
Alien
Apocalypse Now
Eternal Sunshine Of Spotless Minds
Taxi Driver
Rear Window
Inglorious Bastards
Eyes Wide Shut
GoodFellas

That's my top ten

another of my faves is godzilla against hedorah wich is easely my favorite godzilla film

i really loved the force awakens, but the loss of the expanded universe (and mara jade) prevents it from being one of my faves XD

fantastic planet and grave of the fireflies are also among my faves

i also really liked exit trough the gift shop, i dont know if its legit or fake but its super funny to watch

Wes Craven's, "The People Under The Stairs"

[Spoiler Free?]

... it has tons of hilariously dark moments and it's a story so fucked that it can't help but tug on your dried up, frayed heart strings. It follows the story of a poor African American boy who gets caught up in a life of crime, for mostly humble reasons. The landlords are a seemingly well to do, proper couple, but behind this facade is a reality to depraved for modern movies.

Honestly, this movie touched on some really dark issues. I think the theme touches on issues of race, classicism and capitalism to a degree. The movie has some pretty gory scenes that look pretty cool for late 80s early 90s, but it's the mood of the movie that creeps you out more than anything.

dethtoll said:

The original Robocop IS timeless. Not so sure about the 2nd one -- with Frank Miller on board its satire has all the subtlety of a hammer to the face. But that first one, man -- for a long time I believed that was the future we were going to see. Still not completely convinced otherwise.

I'd buy that for a dollar!!

everennui said:

I'd buy that for a dollar!!

For a long time I'd use that as a response to just about anything. Drove my buddy nuts.

TraceOfSpades said:

For a long time I'd use that as a response to just about anything. Drove my buddy nuts.

Clarence Bodegar is genuinely insane. The movie is so over the top it hilarious. The reboot took it to seriously. It's supposed to be dark and literally hilarious.

The kicker is I didn't even know there was a remake until I realized I bought the wrong bluray.

everennui said:

Clarence Bodegar is genuinely insane. The movie is so over the top it hilarious. The reboot took it to seriously. It's supposed to be dark and literally hilarious.

The kicker is I didn't even know there was a remake until I realized I bought the wrong bluray.

Oh, that's depressing.

But I agree 100%. The remake wasn't inherently bad...but Robocop was a dark political satire, really. There was a definite statement being made. The remake was just another action movie.

What's funny about your comment is that my girlfriend didn't know there was an original until she bought the wrong bluray. Haha

Tough question. Can't choose one so lets get down with top 6:
Fight Club
Mulholland Drive
2001 Space Odyssey
Pulp Fiction
Evil Dead 2
John Carpenter's The Thing
There is a lot more I'd like mention but it would make my post reaaaly long.

HIB said:

Tough question. Can't choose one so lets get down with top 6:
Fight Club
Mulholland Drive
2001 Space Odyssey
Pulp Fiction
Evil Dead 2
John Carpenter's The Thing
There is a lot more I'd like mention but it would make my post reaaaly long.

Fuck it. Show us what you got.

Drunken Master II --- with "orignal dubbing" and not the redubbing, mind you.

Talk about a waste of effort on the redubbing, though.

Well, I don't know about favorite movie in general, but Monty Python and the Holy Grail and The Life of Brian are certainly my two favorite comedies.

My number one favorite movie is A Clockwork Orange. But my other favorites are Clerks, Mean Creek, and Evil Dead 2: Dead By Dawn.

My favorite movies are those working with cool ideas (yet reasonably believable ones, not horribly implausible or nutso ones) depicted in cool ways. My only requirement for story is that it should make sense and have some worthy conflict, and only requirement for visual effects is that they shouldn't hurt my eyes and should be comprehensible to tell what they depict. I dislike any prolonged scenes whose sole and entire purpose is to show what (and how much strongly) some of the characters feel (or think) - these scenes include monologuing, closeup on the face, view of somebody suffering, view of somebody being confused, reluctant, afraid, etc. And, my favorite genre is scifi.

That said, these are my 3 favorite movies, along with some reasons for which I find them awesome:

3rd place: Back to the Future 2 (1989)

• Time travel to both the past and the future, involving loops / paradoxes / altered timeline.
  • Flying cars and hoverboards.
  • All the funny moments of course.
2nd place: WALL-E (2008)
  • Skyscrapers of trash over the entire Earth.
  • Humans all being fat, lazy and nonstop consuming.
  • The robots look and move lovely.
1st place: Fantastic Planet (1973)
  • Humans as pets of aliens. YAY! Few movies have the balls to show that.
  • Humans treated as insects, massively slaughtered in inhumane ways. Onscreen! YAY! Again, few movies have the balls to show that.
  • Whenever modern fiction has human collars, they're either electro-shocking, explosive, or sometimes poisoning. This movie has collars that drag you around, on their own, with a force that can't be resisted. I see so much more potential in that concept, and it sure is imaginative and unique.
  • That tree-like creature who kills flying animals for the sole purpose of laughing at them with maniacal happyness. Possibly the best usage of WTF moment in any movie ever, because it makes you think about it.

scifista42 said:

my favorite genre is scifi.

scifi....sta. hot damn. I had been interpreting your username as sci-fister... like.. fisting science, or something :p

re OP: Haneke is my favorite director, Funny Games ('97) is probably my favorite film of his.

too many good movies out there that I haven't seen yet, from this thread I think I'll try to watch Brazil and Mysterious Skin sometime soon.

Lol, I also love when humans are being made fun of, when nature puts them back in their place, when they invent some technology and then stupidly become hopelessly dependent on it, etc. Very satisfying and edifying (not sure if that's the right word, I just learned it from a dictionary a minute ago) at the same time.

Aguire, the Wrath of God. I can't describe this movie except that it balances both beauty and death so well. Kinski is madder than a Billy Corgan on an Infowars. I think Klans nearly destroyed the entire film several times.

My 5 runner ups are: Eraserhead, Alien, Downfall, Dracula (1931) and Carnival of Souls. Honorable mentions to Primer, Apocalypse Now (which predated Wrath of God but still), August Underground Mordum, The Video Diaries of Ricardo Lopez, Metropolis, and sadly.. yes, Event Horizon.

Aguirre was great, except for that one weirdass scene where a chopped off head was somehow still moving. WTF was that all about?