Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
capodecima

How to lose 22 pounds ('really fast)

I regularly skip meals and I never eat breakfast, and that keeps me as thin as a pencil. Just don't do heavy exercising on an empty stomach, or you might pass out.

fraggle said:

Stop eating sugar. Avoid anything whatsoever that tastes sweet.

EAT PLENTY OF MEAT...

please hand over your no good liberal card

With the meat thing, I don't think it's really how much meat you eat but rather what kind of meat and how you're eating it.

Huge amounts of fatty red meats are gonna be real bad for you.

I mean I'm obviously no expert in diets, but as far as I'm aware, red meat isn't fantastic for you in large quantities as it is.

I eat only two meals a day and it's working pretty well for me. But of course, if you also reduce the frequency of your physical exercises, then there's no point.

Stick to small plates and meals.
Or you can just starve yourself, that's what I do.

HorrorMovieGuy said:

and I never eat breakfast

EXCUSE ME? Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, and you're an idiot if you think otherwise.

And my other post in this thread still stands as called... change your lifestyle. It's the only way to safely lose weight.

On top of limiting carbs, and cutting out entirely all foods with "added sugar" (including fructose, HFCS and similar), you can try swimming laps at least 3x/week. Also watch your caloric intake in general. Like mentioned already, foods like lentils and beans are great because they make you full (moreso than rice). You'll need to drink tons of water too.
But I still think you're setting yourself up for failure by asking to achieve so much in very little time. Maybe 3-6 months is more realistic. Why stress yourself at such a high degree, when you can instead just permanently adopt a more healthy lifestyle? Is someone going to give you a million dollars if you lose the weight in time? If not, it probably isn't worth it.

There are way too many serious answers here for a joke thread. Capo doesn't actually care, he's just fucking around, that's his entire MO.

fraggle said:

"Natural" can be a slightly misleading term since there's no chemical difference between what you'd consider "natural" and "artificial". Look at a can of coke some time for example and I believe you'll find that it lists "natural flavourings" on the label.

That's true, but I had meant eating fruits. A lot stuff labeled as "organic" is nothing more than a marketing strategy.

fraggle said:

Meat and fat don't make you fat. Sugar does.

Nothing you eat inherently "makes you fat". Taking in more calories than you expend is what makes you fat. Sugar "makes you fat" because things with lots of sugar in them tend to have way more calories than people realize when eating it. You're not becoming fat because you had a coke with your lunch, you're becoming fat because that coke is 400 extra calories you're treating like water.

Kontra Kommando said:

Though, if you work out like its your job, you can eat a massive amount.

Calories in, Calories out. That's all that maters. If you want to eat lots of carbs. Do a lot of cardio. It's that simple.

Ketose diet. If you don't mind hunger then you can go a step further and just stop eating altogether.

j4rio said:

Ketose diet. If you don't mind hunger then you can go a step further and just stop eating altogether.

No, that wouldn't do any good. You might lose weight that way, but once you return to your old food habits, you'll regain that amount of weight even faster.

Well, I didn't.

Basically, 7 days of ketosis might lower your weight by as much as 8 kilograms. You'll regain around 1-2 kilograms almost immediately after you start sugar intake, glycogen reserve will start to form again. After that, weight will be relatively stable. Also, there's no way you'll get back to your previous eating habits, you'll actually feel hunger much less intensely if you did the diet correctly.

There's lots of myths and quackery surrounding the theme. As far as not-eating goes, it's a complex process that needs to be understood before undergoing it. Brain can function only in presence of glucose (sugar). Not eating for 1 or 2 days is completely worthless and counterproductive, at that point body is only living off leftover sugar and some amino-acids from muscles. 3 or more days without sugar intake, enzymatic activity gets drastically changed and energy starts to be formed off fatty acid reserves that get rapidly transformed into ketone bodies, which then get transported to brain and changed into glucose. The notable thing about this method is that this change of fatty acid into ketones and then into glucose is energetically extremely "inefficient", so fats are broken down in rapid speed. From evolutionary point of view, this may be one of many factors that ensured survival of our species in times without any food - we could still function despite not having any food intake and muscles would still remain functional, so we would still be able to walk, hunt and thus be able to reach a different source of energy. Only after all fat reserves are depleted body starts to break down muscles, at which point we lose ability to walk and are more or less done for.

The efficiency of this method is undeniable, but there's still strong psychological detracting factor, but it's worth noting that the feeling of hunger gets notably less intense after ketosis is reached.

Lol so many advices here. Thx. I basically know how lose weight, i am just kinda pissed i got so big weight this winter like never, so i am kinda mad at me lol. I wanted just some advices how lose weight really fast. Its basically almost impossible to make it healty way. Oh well time for more rowing machine again. I found this the best excercise ever, at least for me. Its not boring and with right machine it can be also nice competitive and the hour of excersise fly really fast, which i need. Thx guys. :D

j4rio said:

There's lots of myths and quackery surrounding the theme. As far as not-eating goes, it's a complex process that needs to be understood before undergoing it. Brain can function only in presence of glucose (sugar).

That's misleading since when you say "sugar", most people will think of cane sugar used for baking cakes, etc. Cane sugar is sucrose, which is a combination of glucose and fructose. Scientifically speaking both are sugars, but in common lay usage, "sugar" means sucrose.

You're correct that we need glucose, but we don't need fructose, and it's specifically fructose that should be avoided to lose weight.

Tarnsman said:

Nothing you eat inherently "makes you fat". Taking in more calories than you expend is what makes you fat.

This might be technically correct but in practical terms I don't find it particularly helpful. It's easy to say "oh, just eat less" but the truth is that the human digestive system is a complex chemical system with a negative feedback loop that controls what gets ingested, and the things you eat have an effect on how that system operates. Fructose is processed by the body differently to glucose for example.

Basically in terms of practical advice I'm far more swayed by the argument of "fix your metabolic system by cutting out this thing which screws up its operation" way more than "it's all just a simple equation and you just need to eat less calories", since the latter doesn't take into account the full complexity of the situation.

fraggle said:

"it's all just a simple equation and you just need to eat less calories"

Actually it's more a simple equation of you need to burn more calories. Find me a fat person who runs 5 miles a day. I can find you plenty of fit people who eat like garbage. I mean obviously if you're treating soda as a vegetable that's a huge problem but there is a great degree of flexibility when it comes to having a healthy diet and not just "never eat carbs/sugars".

fraggle said:

That's misleading since when you say "sugar", most people will think of cane sugar used for baking cakes, etc. Cane sugar is sucrose, which is a combination of glucose and fructose. Scientifically speaking both are sugars, but in common lay usage, "sugar" means sucrose.

I was talking about glucose specifically, which belongs to chemical compounds known as "sugars" or saccharides, definitely not sucrose. As far as I know, fructose gets converted into glucose enzymatically while spending some energy in the process, so it's basically almost identical to glucose in energetical terms.

Actually, besides glucose, fructose and galactose, humans can't metabolise any monosaccharides. They don't get absorbed by gut at all and just act like laxatives.

capodecima said:

Lol so many advices here. Thx. I basically know how lose weight, i am just kinda pissed i got so big weight this winter like never, so i am kinda mad at me lol. I wanted just some advices how lose weight really fast. Its basically almost impossible to make it healty way. Oh well time for more rowing machine again. I found this the best excercise ever, at least for me. Its not boring and with right machine it can be also nice competitive and the hour of excersise fly really fast, which i need. Thx guys. :D

As you get older it gets harder to lose weight. Many people are telling themselves that they can lose weight whenever they want/need as they have done before ... but then find out it's not that easy anymore.

There are a lot of different opinions and religions on the subject, I am a bit fed up with how everyone thinks is an expert. I don't know either, I struggled with it, and there is also psychology too. People are so certain that things are simple and you do things wrong. They are just all strong-opionated on these subjects like it was the easiest thing ever.

First of all, you need to lose what you need, are you naturally a thinner person, overweght or obese? What everyone says might work on another person but might have harder times to work on other persons.

Some people lose because their blood sugar is at normal levels. Many might have blood sugars at high level, maybe being pre-diabetic and not knowing, that will play all sort of things, like really eating less calories than normal and not loosing (maybe you loose first and then you stall). And some say it's because of carbs, so lower your carbs will drop your blood sugar (and they say dangers of hypoglycemia are not true unless you take insulin) and so then you will start burning fat for fuel.

Anyway, from what I have tried, things like going lower on carbs or some form of fasting (5/2, or maybe just skipping a breakfast or lunch once in a while (don't hear if they say it's a no-no, that's the well established opinion, it's never bad to experiment)) are promising but they still won't deliver if you can't keep.

And that's the thing, you have to keep else you will feel bad and people will blame you,. and even if you keep sometimes your body will stall, so maybe it will stop in less than 22 pounds (differs per person) and if you get dissapointed and eat you might get things back. If you switch from low-carb to more carb, I read somewhere there is something with water retention that will give you back weight fast.

Anyway, good luck. You will need it.

Tarnsman said:

Actually it's more a simple equation of you need to burn more calories. Find me a fat person who runs 5 miles a day.

Again, it's more complicated than that. Regular exercise is great, but telling people to exercise to lose weight turns out to be bad advice. Check out this really good article (which has a ton of citations).

capodecima said:

stronglifts.com/5x5/

Been doing this for years. It works. Get off your fat lazy arse and lift son.

I lost around 13-15 pounds recently, and no beef or pork of any kind was part of the diet. Basically, you want to eat lots of veggies, a limited amount of oil fats(such as butter and cooking oil), and as fraggle mentioned, limit your sugar intake mostly to fruits. I like buying fruits such as berries and mangos that are pre-sliced and stuffed into freezer bags. When I was dieting, I would use them to make shakes. Also heavily restrict your starch/carbs/grains intake (potatoes, corn, beer, pasta), and restrict your meat choices to turkey, chicken (non-breaded and non-fried) and fish.

Regarding exercise, obviously every person is different, but prior to my diet I was walking several miles a day(sometimes jogging a mile), followed by pushup workouts, and my weight wasn't going anywhere. It wasn't until I changed my eating habits that the weight began to fall off.

A side benefit, I discovered, was that dieting forces you to be more creative with how you make your food more appetizing. Cooking is very therapeutic for me, a short enjoyable activity that lets me process other things mentally, almost like taking a walk. When I was finished with the diet, I had a newly found interest in cooking that I had previously never possessed.