Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kontra Kommando

Cities: Skylines [New DLC]

http://store.steampowered.com/app/255710/

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/cities-skylines

I discovered this game earlier today, and it looks very good. It is supposed to be a more in-depth, and complex clone of Sim City, from a Finnish company named Colossal Order. Moreover, it allows for a lot more freedom of customization. The map and geography are a lot more malleable than Sim City, and you can create custom maps. It is also supposed to be a lot more challenging. I think I may buy this game. Has anyone else played it? It has very positive reviews out of 1,099 on steam.

Never heard of it til now but it actually looks pretty damn fantastic!

Doomkid said:

Never heard of it til now but it actually looks pretty damn fantastic!

I haven't played the last Sim City; probably never will due to the poor reviews. But if its anything like the mobile version, I have a good idea of what to expect. While it is fun, its very dumbed down and feels bland/linear/restrictive. Moreover, it feels a bit silly using donuts, baseball caps, and tea pots as "building materials" for sky scrapers. This is completely unlike the sim city I knew growing up.

Cities Skyline on the other hand looks like it builds upon the gaming sensibilities of Sim City 2000, where it got more complex/realistic. This is the game that the veteran Sim City players have always wanted. I remember being younger, thinking about the future iterations of games like sim city, and it looks like I found it in Cities Skylines. I hope to god that some development team gives a game like civilization the same justice.

Oh yeah, I never played anything past 2000, but I definitely agree that this comes close to what you would expect the series to naturally evolve into, rather than what it became. I'm also a huge fan of Rollercoaster Tycoon 2, these kinda of games really hit the spot for both creativity and thinking practically. Glad you decided to share this game, might not have heard of it otherwise.

It's a pretty good game. I'd recommend it.

The main challenge of the game is managing the traffic of your city. Service vehicles like fire trucks, ambulances, and garbage trucks need to go places to do their jobs. Industries and stores stock themselves with box trucks. People go to and from work.

For example, I royally fucked up the intersection that connected the residential and industrial zones to the main highway. All of the sudden the whole town was covered in garbage because the garbage trucks couldn't get anywhere, and the roads were filled with industrial trucks.

In another town, everyone became sick because I absentmindedly placed factories next to one of the water towers, polluting the water supply.

The DLC expansions are rather weak, but at least they give you a portion of them for free. The first added a day/night cycle. Supposedly you can alter funding for services according to if its day or night, but there is no reason to do so. The pack itself comes with some night life themed stuff, dedicated bus lanes and bike paths, which are probably worth more than the main gimmick.

The second one added versions of the maps the snow all the time, and rain for free on the other maps. The town will get snowed in if you don't provide plowing services. It also adds tram railways.

Most of the games strength and appeal comes from how modable it is.

The one thing I hate the most (in real-life) is traffic. I had actively upgraded the roads as a priority in simcity out of compassion partly. I am really intrigued by the subtle ways things can go wrong, I love that kind of realism. I think I will actually have a lot of fun managing these aspects. I will buy it this weekend.

Cities: Skylines is coming out with new DLC, that will feature disasters.

I bought this game not long after I made this thread. I have to say, it is an exceptionally good game. Moreover, it is better than the last iteration of Sim City by a wide-margin. I would recommend this game to anyone that is into building simulators.