Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tracer

Where can I find Blood?

Da Eediot said:

you need to download BloodCM. It's a sourceport for Blood that you can find on moddb.

It's Actually an EDuke32 Mod .

DMGUYDZ64 said:

The source code for beta (or maybe alpha ?) of blood is out too, maybe someone could make a sourceport based on similarities between the alpha and final codes ? .

Looks like XL Engine recently took a similar approach by using Shadow Warrior as reference: http://xlengine.com/xl-engine-update-3/

The parts that are of interest here:

When working with the Blood code, one of the things I wanted to do was match up the decompiled source with the Build source in order to reduce the amount of work I had to do. I realized, however, that for best results I should test the Build source integration with something working and complete. So to that end, I added the first – and currently only – game that uses the original source code: Shadow Warrior. The purpose of this integration was as follows:
* Get something working with Build in the XL Engine.
* Start refactoring the code and getting it ready for Blood.

[...]

When, in previous updates, I mentioned matching up Blood code with the Build code – I already had this working in the engine. In fact Shadow Warrior is 100% playable, including sound, music, controls, memory management and so on in the engine and has been for a month or two.
So why play Shadow Warrior using the XL Engine instead of an existing port? Honestly there aren’t really any compelling reasons, the existing ports do a great job. Of course I plan on changing this with future releases and in the future there will be more reasons to play Shadow Warrior on the XL Engine. Regardless it has helped me tremendously with the engine and Blood – so its a worthwhile addition even if no one actually plays it. :D That said, when it comes time to build the unified sector engine it will be very useful – like Blood it pushes the Build and adds Room over Room, drive able vehicles and other features.

Now to wait as XL Engine is an on and off thing, that I have been checking since more than half a decade.

Shadow Warrior on the XL Engine:

Are you still looking for "free" Blood? I COULD tell you but I can't.

But let me tell you. Those controls. Ugh. That horrible mouse sensitivity/input.
I even looked googled "Blood sourceport" just to hope I could get rid of it.
With what little time I had in Blood, I could tell it was going to be fun with flare gun, pitchfork, HEAD SOCCER, and dat level design.

Good luck with the controls.

DMGUYDZ64 said:

Did they add support for Blood ? last time i checked they didn't .

No. That's why the guy is doing all this stuff (post is dated February). He implemented things to speed up his work lately, but I don't know much more about what is going on as of now.

GOG all the way, sonny jim, Steam sucks, use gog, it's very reliable and is very generous, you get some goodies for free after purchasing One Whole Unit, whereas Steam only gives you the full game.
BloodCM is the best option if you want a stable framerate, although only 3 episodes are complete, the others are Wip.

Free blood is easy to find, tough to configure, the first episode is fun and challenging but I personally got bored halfway through the second episode. If you want to pay then GOG it and get Blood 2 and its expansion which is a blast.

A buddy of mine on a Doom irc is really into Blood. He did some research into the source code (for demo reasons, which will likely never work, short of someone making a source port for the game which records it's own demos; the vanilla ones are inherently broken for multiplayer), maybe I'll try and get some info from him to post here for anyone who's curious.

For us, we use Yang to set up matches run through DOSBox. I've tried changing the res but it always defaults to the minimum. Never had any problems with using the mouse, though; it's plenty sensitive enough for multiplayer, which is pretty fun. Never played much of the SP, tho.

deadwolves said:

Free blood is easy to find, tough to configure, the first episode is fun and challenging but I personally got bored halfway through the second episode. If you want to pay then GOG it and get Blood 2 and its expansion which is a blast.

The first Blood is miles better than the second game, but to each their own I suppose.

I've mentioned it before, but the user mod "Death Wish" is a real piece of work, a highly regarded mapset that's honestly better than a good chunk of the base game, which I love.

Voros said:

Are you still looking for "free" Blood? I COULD tell you but I can't.

But let me tell you. Those controls. Ugh. That horrible mouse sensitivity/input.
I even looked googled "Blood sourceport" just to hope I could get rid of it.
With what little time I had in Blood, I could tell it was going to be fun with flare gun, pitchfork, HEAD SOCCER, and dat level design.

Good luck with the controls.

Consider downloading and installing bMouse, an external utility that makes the mouse actually behave correctly.

WildWeasel said:

Consider downloading and installing bMouse, an external utility that makes the mouse actually behave correctly.

Wait, is it one of those programs where it takes a list of selected programs and fixes them?

I also never got the music to work (music not sound). Is it external like Quake's CD music?

Voros said:

I also never got the music to work (music not sound). Is it external like Quake's CD music?

Yes, there is external CD music, but if you don't have CD music, MIDI music will play instead. In Blood, i actually prefer MIDI music over CD music, because CD music is pretty limited, comparing to MIDIs and for some reason (maybe a bug) CD music doesn't loop.

you can probably fix the music not looping by tampering with the configuration. i do agree though that Blood's MIDIs are more interesting than the CD music. i also dislike that they switched around what MIDIs play at what level on the first episode. i just found it unfitting personally.