Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Blastfrog

Weird GTA3 bug

I was wondering if anyone else ran into this. In vanilla GTA3 on PC, I get a weird bug after the program has run for a while where collisions have maximum impact no matter how lightly something touched it. Specifically, I can totally wreck cars just by walking into them on-foot. Setting affinity to one core doesn't fix it, unfortunately.

As fun as it is to exploit, I'd rather not be playing a broken game. Considering getting the Steam version, does it have this bug?

Sodaholic said:

I was wondering if anyone else ran into this. In vanilla GTA3 on PC, I get a weird bug after the program has run for a while where collisions have maximum impact no matter how lightly something touched it. Specifically, I can totally wreck cars just by walking into them on-foot. Setting affinity to one core doesn't fix it, unfortunately.

As fun as it is to exploit, I'd rather not be playing a broken game. Considering getting the Steam version, does it have this bug?

Have you checked one of the config files?

I never played GTA 3 (but I did play VC). But I'm sure its nearly the same system.

That bug sounds like an error in one of the config/script files, specifically in the collision section.
I'm no genius, and I haven't played it in a long time, but that's my explanation.

In fact there should be a file called collisions(.col?) Or something similar.

Try enabling the frame limiter. I had a few physics glitches in the whole trilogy (including the one ClumsyDoomer mentioned) that stopped once I capped the framerate.

DRL 3.33 said:

Try enabling the frame limiter. I had a few physics glitches in the whole trilogy (including the one ClumsyDoomer mentioned) that stopped once I capped the framerate.

That's interesting.

What does the frame limiter have to do with the physics engine?

Voros said:

That's interesting.

What does the frame limiter have to do with the physics engine?

Quite a few games are programmed to do their physics calculations at a fixed rate per-frame rather than taking into account the time it took between physics steps (delta), making the physics simulation run at the current framerate (i.e. more FPS = faster physics). It is a really bad practice that is still being done to this day.

If I recall correctly, GTA3 is one such game.

That's a pretty dumb. How can major gaming companies keep doing this even today?

To my knowledge, there can be some technical reasons for it, like the engine said game is built on was programmed to be like that, but usually the main reason can probably be boiled down to either laziness or inexperienced/undereducated programmers. When it comes down to old games like GTA3, though, it probably boils down to the CPU running many orders of magnitude faster than whatever compensation mechanisms (if any) were designed to deal with back when it was programmed.

Here's an interesting read on the issue: https://www.reddit.com/r/Cynicalbrit/comments/3dqwga/the_fps_lock_what_it_is_why_should_you_avoid_it/