Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MeetyourUnmaker

So what do you think is the most beautiful album you ever heard?

For me, I think it's Rock Bottom by Robert Wyatt, imo. I had somebody bring it in a few years ago and I listened to it back then (if I recall correctly) and I liked how memorable it was. Has one of the best endings I've heard in a rock album, too.

Oh man, that's a tough one... when I try to think about it, I'm tempted to just mention one of my favorite albums. But, they aren't necessarily the most beautiful.

Love Spirals Downwards's Idylls is amazing. Ethereal Wave is sorta hit or miss with me, but this one is all hit. Its sounds and textures are just so hauntingly beautiful.

Smoke and Mirrors by The Eden House is good too, though. The mixture of gothic rock with more mainstream production quality is nice. Plus the vocals provided by all the singers (one of which is Monica Richards) are very well-blended with the music. The imagery it stokes in my head is just so vivid and beautiful, I can't help but think of this album as well.

Tough question, can't say for sure, but First And Last And Always by The Sisters Of Mercy would be very high on my list.

kuchitsu said:

Tough question, can't say for sure, but First And Last And Always by The Sisters Of Mercy would be very high on my list.

MariaaaAAAaaAAAaaaAAAaaaAAAaaaAAAaannnnn

If we're talking about an album that, from front to back, takes you on an emotional journey...

Chelsea Wolfe's Pain is Beauty & Nine Inch Nails' The Downward Spiral come to mind instantly.

Probably Night from Gazpacho and Bankrupt! from Phoenix just because of the fact that when I heard Chloroform live was one of the best moments in my life.

I'd probably pick something nice and heartwarming for "the most beautiful", not necessarily my most favourite set of music.

Yeah, make it Yann Tiersen's soundtrack for Amélie. Or Takk by Sigur Rós. They're both overwhelmingly positive and loveable.

Led Zeppelin - IV (the untitled album) from 1971. It is the perfect mixture of dark fantasy and heavy, epic drumming. Superb guitar work, and potent lyrics. A masterpiece.

"If it keeps on raining, the levee is going to break

When the levee breaks, you'll have no place to stay...

Going down now!"

The Mantle-Agalloch
Beautiful rhythm, Beautiful guitars, Beautiful meanings... Probably my favorite metal album so far.

Interesting, this is making me realize I know plenty of beautiful songs, but none that really maintain that feeling the whole way through the album.. I'm probably forgetting a lot of material though.

I'll just name 3 songs that fit the bill: "Watermelon in Easter Hay" by Zappa, specifically off the Guitar album. "Because" by The Beatles, specifically the vocals only version found on Anthology. "Time to Say Goodbye" by Andrea Bocelli, preferably live. These 3 songs tug at my heart massively, in a great way.

EDIT: I intended to include YouTube links for convenience, but I'm kind of shocked to find that all the "Vocal Only" versions of Because on YouTube are fake-ass bullshit with like Mexican guys trying to pass off as the Beatles, and actually succeeding, which I guess is impressive in it's own right. Sounds nowhere near as good as the real thing, though. The real version has apparently been purged from the net, so I'm glad I have a copy, maybe I'll upload it soon.

Pink Floyd The Wall, It's so filled with emotion and the like, and plus I love It's concept and how It tells a story simply by It's music.

Oh, when "Mother" kicks In, I start getting feels due to some... Personal, Issues. Including the tracks where Pink finds out his wife cheats on him, those don't get to me that hard, but It's mostly the heart break I can relate to In the character Pink.

Maybe a bit of the Isolation, I could relate to as well.

OH, and Dark Side of The Moon, I love that album, my most favorite tracks have to be Time, Us and Them, and Brain Damage/Eclipse.

Nine Inch Nails The Downward Spiral too.

Difficult choice seeing as music is one of my most "common" hobbies.
Led Zeppelin I, II, Physical Graffiti and Presence.
The Beatles first half of - the white album and Abbey Road.
Pink Floyd - Wish you were here.

Are just some that I remember having beautiful melodies, lyrics and guitar work.

RUSH said:

Pink Guy - the untitled album from 2014. It is the perfect mixture of dark fantasy and heavy, epic drumming. Superb guitar work, and potent lyrics. A masterpiece.

ftfy

A Perfect Circle's, "Mer De Noms" and Built to Spill's, "Perfect From Now On" are great the whole way through. I've been listening to tSoM a lot too.

CARRiON said:

Chelsea Wolfe's Pain is Beauty

Woah, nice choice, cool to see a Chelsea Wolfe fan here.

Hell, I don't know. The first that comes to mind is any good recording of an orchestra doing Gustav Holst's The Planets. I'm not even much of a classical listener, but I got one such CD and found what I heard to be singularly moving and, dare I say, transcendental. I also like that I got it for pretty damn cheap due to the fact that people generally don't buy that kind of stuff. Funny to think that I'd have to pay thrice the amount for some disposable manufactured pop dreck.

I still can't definitely point to any album as standing head and shoulders above the rest in terms of emotional content or quality.

Bach's Brandenburg Concertos by Academy of St. Martin in the Fields
for more modern music
Skinny Puppy HanDover

Never actually picked any favorite album before, but I have some of them which I appreciate a lot:

Miami Horror - All Possible Futures.
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Blood Sugar Sex Magik.
Jimi Hendrix - Axis: Bold as Love.

I do like old Reggae albums a lot too. When it comes to music, I pretty much enjoy almost everything.