Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MAZter

Russian Space Marine move to US, need support

Hello everybody!

I'm MAZter[iddqd], I live in Moscow, a long-time fan of the original DOOM games. Some of the members of this forum know me as the maker and owner of the well-known in narrow circles of the Internet "Doom Power" / iddqd.ru / "Russian Doom Community". Some time ago I decided to move to the United States forever (New York, Chicago, or even any city, haven't yet decided). Why not Texas, you may ask? Because of some problems with the public transport.

At home I work in IT sphere, I know php and java, know how to make websites, while at the same time I know little of object-oriented programming.

In August of this year, I'll arrive in the US. Don't have friends nor relatives in the US, also I'll be with limited funds. Therefore, for the first time, most likely I will need support, assistance in obtaining various documents, finding housing (rent room), work and all the other problems associated with immigration.

So, I'd like to ask local Doomguys, who live in the United States and would do anything to help - any advices you can give me/can you help me? I will be glad to have new acquaintances!

MAZter said:

assistance in obtaining various documents

You have a visa, right?

fraggle said:

You have a visa, right?

Yes, I got the visa and the right to work in US

MAZter said:

At home I work in IT sphere, I know php and java, know how to make websites, while at the same time I know little of object-oriented programming.

In August of this year, I'll arrive in the US. Don't have friends nor relatives in the US, also I'll be with limited funds.

I'm assuming you do not have employment lined up in advance of your arrival considering you haven't pinned down where you want to live, correct? In addition, with no family or contacts of any kind and little money, I have to ask if this is a smart move.

I don't mean to dissuade you, but what exactly is your plan when you arrive?

I have some real plans to work . But no credit history for first time.

First of all, I move to New York JFK, then probably go in NJ, for the drive license without need to take the road test (I have foreign 10 years license)

NYC has a large Russian community. Perhaps it may provide for a good stepping stone to transition into the country. NYC is really expensive, but there are more jobs to be found.

thanks for the reply, however, may be interested in someone rents a room for the first time ...

MAZter said:

thanks for the reply, however, may be interested in someone rents a room for the first time ...

You could live in a tent.

Da Eediot said:

If you don't feel like contributing, refrain from posting.

Mordeth said:

If you don't feel like contributing, refrain from posting.

That wasn't a joke. You could get a cheap tent and get a job, then, when you get enough money, get an apartment.

Da Eediot said:

Why should I live in a tent, if i have enough money to rent room/studio :)

I second NYC. It's expensive and rent is too damn high, but it has a thriving Russian community. It's a good place to start, but you may want to consider moving elsewhere/further inland once you've got yourself situated and your citizenship taken care of.

Avoid the south.

MAZter said:

Why should I live in a tent, if i have enough money to rent room/studio :)

I thought you said you needed money to rent an apartment?

Da Eediot said:

I thought you said you needed money to rent an apartment?

No, I need to make sure that there will be difficulties in rent (need to confirm the credit history, etc.)

MAZter said:

No, I need to make sure that there will be difficulties in rent (need to confirm the credit history, etc.)

Oh.

I would suggest not moving go the actual city of Chicago. Traffic is horrible, the people suck, and everything is expensive as shit. I'd check out the south or western suburbs. There are some fine towns in tbose areas. If you have questions about any of the surrounding areas of Chicago, feel free to message me.

dethtoll said:

Avoid the south.

Agreed.

I have several opinions about the southern United States and southerners that are better left unsaid on here.

TraceOfSpades said:

I have several opinions about the southern United States and southerners that are better left unsaid on here.

As of currently in my state (Florida), what have I have not seen is:

Bath salts zombies
People with gigantic Confederate flags (Go to the north, easy to find it there)
Shit-flinging burglars
People snorting human ashes
Dudes jacking off in the streets (& Burger King)

Dunno, seems fine to me.

As a native north easterner, I've found most people in the southern states to be pretty nice and personable. Ultimately though, I've experienced very little actual differences outside of language usage. The American culture always prevails over regional culture.

If you want to live in a big city and you have very little money, you come live in Detroit near me. To live in Detroit you must be smart and kind. Tough, not so much. Many different races of people living alongside each other. A lot of blacks, hispanics, and a lot of eastern-european types. I recommend a car, it is a must even if you don't use it every day. I do not recommend it to someone who has lived around white people their whole life. You will not understand your neighbors, why they behave the way they do, why they are noisy, why they never talk to you if you never talk to them.

TraceOfSpades said:

Birmingham, Asheville, Austin, Memphis, Nashville, Huntsville, Orlando, and Atlanta are the only places worth going down here. The rest? Don't. New Orleans isn't a place to settle, that's for sure.

Legal immigration to the US seems incredibly hard if you don't have a work visa lined up already, and you're not allowed to work on a tourist or student visa nor stay beyond a predetermined duration. No friends, no relatives, no set place to crash? Even handwaving the legality aspect, merely going through customs might be a hard sell. Perhaps I'm missing something here.

dethtoll said:

Avoid the south.

Well, I'm from the south and it's quite pleasant here. That's a little insulting don't you think? I've got family that does programming in NC and they make quite a decent living.

The south also has cheaper cost of living, MUCH cheaper that NY or California. If I were immigrating to the US, I would want to move where it's the least expensive to live.