Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MAZter

Russian Space Marine move to US, need support

It's also got crap economic policies, a greater proportion of very poor areas, no security or protection for renters, out of control gentrification, a lower standard of living, a lower standard of health, shit weather, bugs everywhere, not to mention it's still pretty socially backwards and bigoted in many places, backed up by the regressive state governments they keep electing.

Nowhere is perfect, really, but anywhere north of the Mason-Dixon line is a good place to start.

I've only been to the US once and asides from JFK airport I visited Atlanta and North Carolina, which are ostensibly the South, right? They were ok, although I was only in good neighbourhoods in ATL and downtown in NC. To be honest if I were moving to the US I'd want to be either in Massachusetts, NYS or California, but that's just a cultural thing; I think those places are closer to the UK in cultural terms than other places.

Jon said:

I've only been to the US once and asides from JFK airport I visited Atlanta and North Carolina, which are ostensibly the South, right? They were ok, although I was only in good neighbourhoods in ATL and downtown in NC. To be honest if I were moving to the US I'd want to be either in Massachusetts, NYS or California, but that's just a cultural thing; I think those places are closer to the UK in cultural terms than other places.

I lived in ATL for about a year and a half. Just like any big city, there are ghettos and nice surrounding suburbs. I lived in a decent suburb and it wasn't that bad, but don't get caught alone in the ghetto late at night. The south is like anywhere else. Good parts, bad parts, dethtoll was just generalizing the entire south like we're a bunch of cousin-fucking retards and it was quite insulting to me, as I'm educated and just as civilized as anyone from NYC. I used to have a gf from upstate NY and we'd go to her family reunions in the summer. The rural areas from there didn't seem much different than the rural areas around here(VA).

3rd post down says he has a visa and right to work if you'd read.

Yeah, that's the exact post that prompted my reply. From what I understood, you can get a work visa from having an employer sponsor and hire you, or some kind of family reunification visa thanks to relatives. OP specifically mentioned he doesn't fit either of these cases. It just seems odd that he'd walk in the US whistling hands in pockets with no plan while so many people trudge for years for a chance at entering US soil temporarily. I've seen people in their forties with successful careers and valid visas turned down at border control over failing to provide some non-mandatory justification, like proof of work in their home country or what have you. Not attacking OP, I'm just curious about his particular circumstances.

I was hiking in the Adirondacks over July 4th weekend and encountered more Russians than Americans on the trail. It was ... odd. So maybe move to the Adirondacks? I have a Russian friend who lives in Rhode Island.

Your best bet if you are going to come with little money and no job is to try for restaurant work in a Russian neighborhood in NYC and maybe find an apt. in NJ? Apts. in NYC are very difficult to find as everyone and their brother wants to live there.

EDIT: Why you change plans for Chicago?

The USA is one of the hardest places in the world to migrate to. To move with the view of permanent residency, you'd need a firm job offer, and the employer would have to put up with the very expensive process of getting a green card for you. From the opinions and experiences of MANY Americans I've met online, who were trying to get friends or their friends' husband over, most found it too hard despite them being experienced professionals. And even Canadians who have been offered permanent residency will NOT be allowed to retire in the US - they will have to move vack to Canada. It really is one of the hardest countries in the world to move to so OP think a little harder about your decision. Without dual nationality your chances are scant at best.

I would not recommend moving to NYC unless you want to barely be able to pay the rent for your sardine can sized studio apartment.

deadwolves said:

The USA is one of the hardest places in the world to migrate to.

Take it easy, I'm one of the green card lottery winners (3% chances of 100%),
a permanent resident of the United States in the near future.

Thank you all people very much for your support and advices, it was very interesting to read and learn something new from the real citizens of the USA! Particularly pleased by Doomguy's.

The friend in the company where I work for a long time advises against Chicago because of the crime, and secondly this morning i learned of the recent incident, a wounded 4-year old child, I felt a little alerted by this horror news.

Finally i decided to abandon Chicago and is now firmly determined - go to Boston.

Generally such plans - to learn in the Drive school and become a CDL truck driver. There were also plans to work as a programmer (PHP, JAVA etc), but I do not know much of the OOP.

I will be glad to new acquaintances, my fb:
https://www.facebook.com/andrey.morozov.9277

Crete, Greece one year ago, nice car :)

Boston's not a bad choice, just get ready to get lost a lot.

He's right about Chicago. The crime can be really bad there (though it's much worse in Gary, IN, which is nearby) and it has some brutal winters.

Crime is bad in pockets of almost ALL major US cities due to their sheer size. However, I think that the east coast is a good choice, although Boston is a pricey place to live and somewhat away from the NYC/NJ/Philly/Baltimore/Wash DC corridors.

Obtaining a class A CDL with the proper endorsements will make it very easy to find work in my opinion. If you get experience and want to see the entire country, "over-the-road" driving might be for you.

Boston is a good choice, (that's where I live) though I recently read that it is the rudest city; the roads/traffic patterns leave something to be desired for sure. Public transport is pretty good, though.

MAZter said:

Take it easy, I'm one of the green card lottery winners (3% chances of 100%),
a permanent resident of the United States in the near future.

Jealous as hell. My dream is to build a sandwich chain along the beaches of California. Everyone's so friendly, food and fuel and property is so cheap. America is a wonderful country. Not too sure about those Liveleak videos where TSA agents are tasering disabled cancer kids and beating them half to death, but what the hell, everyone's got their problems I guess.

Good luck man! I hope everything works out for you. I think tech jobs are pretty healthily available right now, so if you're already eligible to work here, and have good English skills (which you clearly do), you really ought to be able to find a solid programming job. I don't think PHP and Java are as 'hot' as some other languages right now but from what I know there are still a lot of opportunities out there for those languages. Good luck in any case :D

Btw, can anyone help me with the rental agreement (i consider any state)? I have heard that people are reluctant to rent accommodation without a credit history. Leave me a message PM. Thanks.

dethtoll said:

Avoid the south.

Dumbest statement seen on DW all week.

Lotta people here suggesting NYC and large urban areas, that might be fine if that's what you are looking for, but for the expense of it I find it to not be worth it. There's nothing wrong with the south, though I notice a lot of folks from the north seem to think everybody with a southern accent is stupid or poorly educated, which is great and all, but don't get stuck into the sweeping generalizations by jackasses such as this. If you ever visit Virginia, send me a line. We have a few Doomers down here on the eastern peninsula and there is a fairly sized Russian community of students that come to our area to work while in college.

I don't think Southerners are dumb (though I may joke about it). I am just put off by the friendliness. It's too much for me.

Yankees in a hurry to wait; guess they never paid attention to the killing habits of stress, hehe.

Fyi, people are about as unfriendly in the southern cities as in the northern cities; likely has to do with amount of people in an area. Easier to be a dick to someone you'll never see again, despite living 3 blocks away from one another.

Phml said:

Legal immigration to the US seems incredibly hard if you don't have a work visa lined up already, and you're not allowed to work on a tourist or student visa nor stay beyond a predetermined duration. No friends, no relatives, no set place to crash? Even handwaving the legality aspect, merely going through customs might be a hard sell. Perhaps I'm missing something here.

Legal immigration outside of marriage is near impossible unless your company is ready to do H1B visa status and sponsor you throughout. Even then, they only get limited H1B visa/ green card enrollments alloted to them per year. Even the green card lottery is no gurantee to permanent residency or eventual citizenship.

I work with mainly people here on employment visa. In 10 years, I've seen only (1) person out of about a thousand or so get h1b sponsirship that lead to a green card enrollment. The rest rarely even make it to consideration h1b sponsorship. As with most employers, they generally give false impression/promises to do h1b process, and very few make it without the process falling through.

My wife and I are currently going through her citizenship process. She was on employment visa here for a few years, then a student visa for another 2 before going back to employment visa for another 2 and starting the process for h1b, which eventually fell through and turned back into employment visa. After we married, she was immediately given a green card after a interview with USCIS for a three year probationary period, then she'll get another 2 year green card for permanent residency, then she can qualify for citizenship.

The only other way other than h1b sponsorship, green card lottery, student visa or employment visa is a tourist/visitor visa, and those are only good for 90 days-a-year visits (10 year Visa expiration), with heavy restrictions and financial/housing/return trip requirements. You could not obtain employment on these as your expected to be financially sustained during as a tourist.

However, there is a loophole in that permanent green card residents (gc holders not under supervisory restrictions) can invite a single family member to stay with them, which effectively gives the invitee a limited visa, but with lesser restriction than that of tourist.

Saturn said:

Am I too friendly for you, motherfucker?

You're right where I want you, fuckface!

It's really funny how even after my "discussion" with Ashtrodamus (which seemed to have sent him off the deep end) some people still can't grasp that my suggestion has less to do with the people and more to do with other, more important factors, mostly having to do with class and economics and local government.

Of course, there's also people like Ashtrodamus. Wonder where he went?

That being said, Virginia isn't too terrible. But as much as I personally hate living in Ohio I would recommend Ohio -- one of the cheapest costs of living in the country and despite a state government filled with complete jackasses, the cities are quite cosmopolitan (the best ones all have names starting with C) and there's a lot of tech jobs available.

dethtoll said:

It's also got crap economic policies, a greater proportion of very poor areas, no security or protection for renters, out of control gentrification, a lower standard of living, a lower standard of health, shit weather, bugs everywhere, not to mention it's still pretty socially backwards and bigoted in many places, backed up by the regressive state governments they keep electing.

Nowhere is perfect, really, but anywhere north of the Mason-Dixon line is a good place to start.

If this is what you were talking about then there was no discussion, as discussion cannot be achieved between two rocks. Also, it sounds like you've learned everything you know of the south from family guy.

Ash went the same place I think you should go, sometimes.

Ahahahaha Family Guy? Really? That's all you've got?

It's funny how I'm listing real issues with living in the south and all you can fall back on is to accuse me of stereotypes -- while at the same time stereotyping "Yankees." Good job.

One of the most difficult things about reading the English language is understanding tones. You see, you said a bunch of sweeping generalizations (real problems as you call them, yet really just perceived problems as they happen everywhere, even in... you guessed it, the North) with a serious tone. I, on the other hand, said something short and obviously not-to-be-taken-seriously, which was also hinted at with the last word of the sentence. Don't worry, I won't make you look for it; it was "hehe." I'm sorry that the concept which people that live in the South can be the same as they are up North bothers you so much... perhaps you should live somewhere south of the Mason-Dixon line so you could see that human nature is the same no matter where you are; yes, even on the opposite side of the world: the southern US.

My comment to Family Guy was that the sweeping generalizations you made were pretty much straight from their episodes, most of which are based on popular stereotypes and exaggerations of them. It's coincidence that it was Family Guy that I mentioned, but given its popularity and general use of stereotypes I figured it'd be something easily relatable. I mean, we could relate this to something more like "Of Mice and Men" if you would prefer, but I'm not sure you'd know who'd to pet and call George. The only things you forgot to mention, btw, in your spaz-rage was that we don't have dentists and incest is totally normal. But don't worry, I know you of all people would never make a logical fallacy, you special little guy. I mean, it's not like that's something that all humans do or anything.

Seriously, learn a little humility, it'll take you much further in life than being a dick to everyone who doesn't share your exact view.

I didn't accuse you of stereotypes btw; I pointed out that what you had said were stereotypes, as well as that at the very least, in that moment you acted like a complete and total jackass. Acting/speaking on ignorance is stupid, and your post was the dumbest thing I'd seen on the forums in a while, and I just got back from losers a week or two ago.

All that said, much <3 for you and I pray your head will find its way out of your ass soon.

I fucking dare you to prove how any of what I said, outside of the pure subjectivity of the weather, was wrong. I want links and citations, you sanctimonious rude person.

Do you even understand what a stereotype IS?

Oh but buttercup, you said the word stereotype first. I said sweeping generalization. Do you understand what that is?

I find it funny that you dare me to prove you wrong without also understanding that you would need to back yourself up too. A forthright person would have done that right away; instead, you dare me to prove you wrong, automatically assuming yourself to be above justification of your claims. I could be wrong about the South as a whole; like you said, Virginia isn't that bad, but without some data how would I ever know that my area of the country is a socially backward place with a low standard of living? Or are you perhaps cherry picking the info you used to reach such ludicrous gibs conclusions? I'm pretty sure the North has a few rural areas here and there, same as we have those "big, shiny cities with all the city-folk a'busslin' around like jack rabbits" and let's not pretend like the suburbs aren't everywhere. Well, since we're going with dares here, I triple dog dare you to prove yourself right, and then if I still care enough to devote time talking to somebody who doesn't have any care in either learning or humility, maybe I'll prove you wrong just to show my love and appreciation for all you do. Then again, maybe I'll just stick my tongue to a frozen pole. But we needn't get that far into it. For you see sunshine, your logical foundation is wrong; everything you build on top of it is as unsteady as a house on a sinkhole. Fact is: there are people of all types everywhere and every area has its pluses and minuses, but to completely shit on a very large area is nothing short of a sweeping generalization and you would do well for yourself to see this within yourself so that you can learn and grow as an individual. We all, myself included, have areas with potential for growth; but you cannot achieve it going through life thinking that everyone is an asshole and the masses are sheep who cannot think for themselves. Most of us here are of average intelligence, meaning that literally most people in the world, due to the bell curve nature of it, are as intelligent as you or me. Think about that. Also think of the real difference between a couple IQ points; a couple milliseconds on pattern recognition at best?

Spoiler

Why can't we all just CJ it out together, in togetherness rather than divide ourselves on arbitrary lines in the sand? I'll star-- okay y'all take it from here.

That was a lot of text for what's basically "i don't need to back up my argument YOU need to but i'm gonna ignore it anyway nyah nyah."

Not to mention you're arguing against stereotypes I never made or suggested --again. This after you resurrected a weeks-old argument because you just HAD to defend your southern heritage or whatever the fuck it is you were trying to do, instead of just letting it lie.

I suggest you look into some anger management classes.