Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
deadwolves

Old games that should be remade

dethtoll said:

Hexen 2 was much better than Hexen 1.

Well, you are entitled to your opinion...
I played the demo once, and I'd love to play the full game.

HavoX said:

I played the demo once, and I'd love to play the full game.

Hexen 2's first hub was the absolute worst. The engine/target machine limitations at the time of development mean the medieval stuff was all annexed inside big grey boxes for line-of-sight breakup. So the village becomes a small number of single shops all separated by featureless grey stone walls, all 2-3 stories tall.

The rest of the game is MUCH better.

A Trespasser remake would be neat actually. Maybe a bit more open world as you find your way off of Isla Soria from the Jurassic Park films, and maybe a little less direction as you figure out how to escape. And an HD boob HUD, of course.

Clonehunter said:

And an HD boob HUD, of course.

Hah yeah, the boob-hud would go over real well in this day and age.

My brother has told me for years he'd love to see a remake of Secret of Evermore, and I'm inclined to agree with that.

Personally though, I'd like to see some generally bad games get a make-over where everything that was wrong with them gets fixed up. In my case I'd like to see something like Contra: Legacy of War remade into a good side-scroller or just reworked to make it more playable in 3D in some way because personally I don't mind the idea so much. Some more good candidates should include some hard to find/rare games that not many know about, like Hagane: The Final Conflict or some other rare game that isn't on VC.

valkiriforce said:

My brother has told me for years he'd love to see a remake of Secret of Evermore, and I'm inclined to agree with that.

Secret of mana, and Secret of mana2 should be remade as well, while we're at it.

Sure Bowb said:

Secret of mana, and Secret of mana2 should be remade as well, while we're at it.

it would be bomb as hell if we could get a proper port of secret of mana 3.

TraceOfSpades said:

Ocarina of Time done like Skyrim would be insane.

If they made a Zelda game with the art-style they used for the 1989 animated series, I would really like that.

I Would LOVE to see Final Fantasy IX truly remade.

I know they re-released it on Steam with some new bells b/w whistles but is has the same old graphics. Which I love, don't get me wrong, but I'd pay good money for a remake with modern quality graphics.

However; only if it remains faithful to the original gameplay, unlike how the FF7 remake seems to be going.

Kontra Kommando said:

If they made a Zelda game with the art-style they used for the 1989 animated series, I would really like that.

This is something I've been wanting for a while, or at least something similar. A lot of Nintendo games of the time had the fancy art on the box or in the manual, but obviously the technology of the time wasn't capable of making it a reality. Now, it is. A western animation-style Zelda, or a Metroid that looks like it's straight out of an old D&D Monster Manual.

Speaking of Nintendo, I have no idea why Super Mario 64 DS wasn't touched up and released on the 3DS. It's not that old of a game, but it was just released too early. Between the lack of a control stick and weak DS specs, the game never made it close to living up to its potential as a fun twist on what's now a classic game. It feels more like an early 3D game than the original does. As a fan of SM64 I really want to like it, but I can't if it's not willing to meet me halfway.

I don't think Soul Reaver should be remade, but I would love to see an HD remastering. I really can't think of anything negative to say about the game.

HavoX said:

No shit?

Hexen 1 had atmosphere in spades but its first hub is fucking garbage and the entire game is hamstrung by repeated overuse of "what the fuck did that do?" switch-hunts and fetch quests.

I agree with Ledillman, MDK is probably the best game ever made. (yes, better than Doom. Fight me.)
Rings of Power is a game that I'd like to see remade, too.

dethtoll said:

No shit?

Hexen 1 had atmosphere in spades but its first hub is fucking garbage and the entire game is hamstrung by repeated overuse of "what the fuck did that do?" switch-hunts and fetch quests.

this is why i never beat the game. if i need a walkthrough to figure out what the fuck i did and where i need to go for the FIRST HUB IN THE GAME, as well as subsequent hubs stumping me a lot as well, you should probably rethink your "puzzle" designs.

Viscra Maelstrom said:

this is why i never beat the game. if i need a walkthrough to figure out what the fuck i did and where i need to go for the FIRST HUB IN THE GAME, as well as subsequent hubs stumping me a lot as well, you should probably rethink your "puzzle" designs.

Meanwhile I completed this game in three or four sittings when it first came out, with no help at all. Honestly, the hubs and levels are finite spaces, the only difficulty is finding what changed..just looking around or being observant.

This thread did get me to retry Hexen 2, as only having played the demo to death long ago (my computer at the time couldn't run it very well). It's alright, but the combat is a little boring and the melee weapons are not reliable due to hitbox wonkiness. The level design is also not on par with Quake, they feel rather lazy in execution and lack any real visual flare. I see no reason it couldn't have been made on the Doom engine again.

I don't remember having too much trouble with Hexen's puzzles either. The most confusing level that I remember giving me troubles was Wastelands because it was basically a brown maze but I was still able to figure it out myself.

Thanks to this thread, I found two games that I used to play as a kid and couldn't remember their names: Hogs of War and MDK. Both great games.

I didn't have too much trouble with them either, but I stopped at the swamp level when it appeared that I needed to do some minor platforming. There's a video of me on someone's Youtube channel failing hard at this.

Clonehunter said:

A Trespasser remake would be neat actually. Maybe a bit more open world as you find your way off of Isla Soria from the Jurassic Park films, and maybe a little less direction as you figure out how to escape. And an HD boob HUD, of course.

I was so excited when they announced Tresspaser, it sounded like a dream come true. I still wonder how they were able to fuck it so hard.....

They need to remade it, of course no boobs hud.... because that would offend the fem....

Edited by Guest