Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LexiMax

Let's talk about Overwatch

It's a pretty fun game. First game in years that has managed to hold my attention for more than a weekend or two. Reminds me of the good old (fun) days of TF2 before the introduction of the unwieldy weapon loadouts system. Totally worth the $40 I spent on it, to the point where I paid $20 more for the origins edition a few weeks after release.

Tbh, i don't like the art style of this game. Imo, TF2 looks better, even though it's graphics are old. Overwatch characters look ugly to me compared to TF2 characters. Well, that's just my opinion.
Other than that, can't say much about this game, never played it but saw some gameplay on YT (every single Youtuber now plays it) and it doesn't look very interesting to me.

About the most I know about it is that, when Tumblr Feminists whined about Trace's butt pose, the developers trolled them by changing her pose to look like a pinup calendar. For this, they have earned my respect.

How exactly are the characters ugly? I think they, combined with the art style look good enough to me. Besides, It's one of my favorite FPS Games right now. I've played the beta and loved it.

ChekaAgent said:

Other than that, can't say much about this game, never played it but saw some gameplay on YT (every single Youtuber now plays it) and it doesn't look very interesting to me.

I actually thought the exact same thing just from having watched it. For me, it didn't "click" until i actually got my hands on it and played it during the first stress test beta.

MetroidJunkie said:

About the most I know about it is that, when Tumblr Feminists whined about Trace's butt pose, the developers trolled them by changing her pose to look like a pinup calendar. For this, they have earned my respect.

A tempest in a teapot if I had ever seen one. Not on the feminists part, but the outraged reaction to it.

At least the developers didn't cave for once. These little things may not seem like a problem but, when they start getting their way too often, it'll snowball into them basically controlling the industry.

It's just an over stylized TF2 with some extra novelty's.
Guess what is going to attract more horny teenagers. Characters like "heavy" "Pyro" "Scout" or characters like Mercy, Tracer, Symmetra ???
Blizzard knows the biz and how to exploit their customers.

-"Okay the characters designs are done..did we offend anyone?" -"Oh lord God I hope not.." -"Okay well, let's make a game now and see what happens.."

MetroidJunkie said:

yadda yadda

You ... have no idea how the story actually went, do you?

During the beta, one ( one ) person remarked that one of Tracer's victory poses wasn't in-character; it was straight pandering, a pose that had no purpose but to draw attention to her butt ... when Tracer is a light-hearted, naive girl. There's nothing to suggest that she was the type of person to actually strike such a pose, when that wasn't really an issue with the other characters' poses. And that was all the guy commented on.

And, here's what you got especially wrong: Blizzard agreed with them. In fact, they said that they weren't really feeling the pose in the first place, but they just didn't bother changing it because none of the players said anything until then. So they went ahead and changed it, to pose that while still pandering actually looks like she's "walking on air" ( fitting for her jovial personality and the fact that she's extremely mobile ) and, yes, references a pin-up that is akin to the models pilots spray on airplanes. Which is an important distinction, because she's a pilot. It's still a pandering pose, but at least it fits her character far more than "hey look at my butt LOOK AT IT."

Then I guess the people who were still sore about the Skullgirls team willingly "self-censor" themselves by removing pantyshots from some frames of animation flipped absolutely the fuck out, causing the whole dilemma. It was actually a pretty calm discourse until those folk started ranting about people they don't like causing their game to have different types of booty-focused poses, how dare they!

So, yeah. The only freaking out was done by the types of gamers who're afraid that the esjaydouble-yooos are trying to take the butts out of their games, despite the fact that Blizzard didn't even replace the pose with a non-pandering one. There's an Extra Frames episode about this that not only goes into the story, but also brings up how the new pose is a far more dynamic pose anyway - the old one was pretty boring.

Maybe I'm naive but I don't see how looking behind her shoulder is screaming "Look at my butt! LOOK AT IT!", unless a pose from her from the front is saying the same thing about her chest. It happening to be visible doesn't mean there was deliberate attention drawn to it.

It's not a good idea to take a picture of some chick's back to show how she looks, unless you just wanna show her ass.

Short answer: I fucking love this game. I've never been so fascinated by a multiplayer game before this. Loads of fun to play, especially with friends. Can't wait for the upcoming update, Ana looks like a lot of fun to play as (not to mention D.Va's re-worked Defense Matrix and Self-Destruct mechanics, as well as a Zenyatta that's actually somewhat viable :o).

Suppose I could try out the changes on the Public Test Region, now that I think about it!

MetroidJunkie said:

Maybe I'm naive but I don't see how looking behind her shoulder is screaming "Look at my butt! LOOK AT IT!", unless a pose from her from the front is saying the same thing about her chest. It happening to be visible doesn't mean there was deliberate attention drawn to it.

please dont do this to this thread.

Sorry, I didn't mean to do "this" to the thread, I was just responding to Arctangent.

In an effort to get this back on track, it seems like an interesting looking game but the characters just plain don't seem nearly as interesting as Team Fortress 2.

MetroidJunkie said:

I'm sure it's a really fun game but, and this is probably just me, every single promotional thing I've seen for it has made me cringe.

The last Blizzard game I bought was Diablo 2: Lord of Destruction

Blizzard has changed, man. They aren't the same company they were even 10 years ago, let alone 20 years ago. Change isn't a bad thing, but this pay to play garbage is so fake. Their art style is just different. Less gritty, less violent, less gore, less gothic/dark/creepy influence. I don't want to be taxed while I'm playing a game or be reminded that other people are paying real money so they can kick my ass. I won't even go into Diablo 3, that just gets me all worked up over nothing

/thread derail

Tarnsman said:

I'm sure it's a really fun game but, and this is probably just me, every single promotional thing I've seen for it has made me cringe.

I agree completely. Someone tried to tell me I was closed minded for finding it to have an annoying vibe, but I really couldn't think of any other way to put it. Regardless of how great the gameplay may be, everything else about it just isn't my cup of tea.

The only reason I haven't bothered with it is because largely, from the gameplay and streams I've seen, it doesn't look like I personally would get anything out of it that I don't already get out of TF2.

And TF2 isn't like $80 CAD, so...

This is the only relevant information to Tracer's pose.

Anyways, I don't hate the game entirely (in fact, I'd say it's at least good), but I have no hope for it in the future. Between most of WoW's expansion, early Diablo 3, and Hearthstone's ridiculousness, I don't have faith in Blizzard to fix issues as they become apparently. Just to list a few:

• D.Va was released borderline useless, and remains borderline useless. On almost every map, there's no reason to play D.Va other than to get your k-weeb fix.

• Junkrat/Pharah damage. In TF2, Demoman does very little damage due to his attacks having blast damage. Similarly, Soldier's rockets are not particularly great. Meanwhile in Overwatch, you can switch of Junkrat or Pharah and top the team in damage with almost no effort.

• Competitive is broken. Plain and simple. It's heavily skewed towards deranking, the tiebreakers are almost coin flips, and players in the 50s can be anywhere from pants-on-head retarded to potential professionals.

I have other issues with the game, which aren't necessarily objective criticisms, but just turn me off from it. The boxes, for instance. I have horrendous luck, so anything based entirely in luck is just automatically crap for me.

I played a bit of it, probably something like 300-400 games, and have decided to wait until next season to bother. If that doesn't go well, then that'll probably be it for me. I'd like the game to be great, but I have other things I could spend my time on.

I've been having a lot of fun with it, especially with friends. Some of the balance seems off at times, and it's difficult to find competent team mates or team mates who won't abandon if things get "tough."

I imagine this stems from a much smaller pool of players (Six per team) as opposed to TF2 where you can literally throw numbers at things and everyone is fairly expendable. In OW losing just one or two team mates to death or quitting can drastically change the tide of the fight.

I remember getting beat up real bad once until one guy on the other team just quit. Their team fell apart hard and we ended up winning.

Roadhog for life, bras.

I think it is pretty good, one of the best games I played this year even.

My favorite hero so far is Zenyatta by a considerable margin, he feels great to play as and I can easily destroy people with him whilst being a fabled, almost unheard of medic player and have the ability to actually help my team.

Design are too cartoonish and I want more hardcore expirience. Still waiting for Lawbreakers and Quake Champions from veterans of FPS genre.

I play it every day at least a bit. I love it, definitely my favorite multiplayer game in years. Add JouleS#1852 if you want to play

some of my friends adore the game. myself, i've never been a big MP guy at all, so this is gonna pass by my radar completely. game doesn't look bad though, just not for me at all.

Call me close minded, but I'm also of the opinion that the art style sucks. Yes, it's very clean and professional looking, but I've never liked "cute" first person shooters. When I think of my favorites--Doom, Quake, Blood, etc.--it's clear that I'm wanting a macabre, dark, violent experience. Overwatch looks like Pixar Lite and that's not that sort of aesthetic I associate with first person shooting.