Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Koko Ricky

Does SJW-reated stuff get helled because the term is pejorative?

It always amuses me how people seem to base their entire concept of free speech and the first amendment on their personal right to be offensive without repercussion.

I know there are some people who use the term "SJW" to refer to anyone with left-wing views, but in my experience, "SJW" is usually properly reserved for the worst of the worst. The Tumblr wackos who spend their days trying their hardest to find something, anything, to get offended by.

dethtoll said:

It always amuses me how people seem to base their entire concept of free speech and the first amendment on their personal right to be offensive without repercussion.

From what I've seen, SJWs are the kind of people who consider things like "being white", "being male", or "wearing clothes/hairstyles that originated outside your culture" to be offensive.

This is a GoatLord thread that poises a question I've also considered, but I figured they were Helled for exactly what Decay said followed by this:

Linguica said:

A thread about the latest "look at these fucking SJWs" flavor of the week anecdote generally gets helled because it is never made in good faith. It is almost always just an excuse to complain about people the author doesn't like, and only invites yet another round of the same dumb pissing matches instead of any sort of worthwhile discussion.

I'm not gonna lie, "SJW Bullshit" or whatever we want to call it can be rather entertaining, but the shit flinging and bad vibrations that follow have no real place lest the peace be disturbed for bickering and shaming.

JudgeDeadd said:

or "wearing clothes/hairstyles that originated outside your culture" to be offensive.

Reminds me of that video where a black lady was giving some student shit for having dreads, which aren't even an exclusive black hairstyle and practiced by other cultures. Also, Bob Marley was half white, I guess he was culturally appropriatin'.

dethtoll said:

It always amuses me how people wrap themselves up in faux indignation and use the fact that they are offended to silence their critics and push their own agenda.

darknation said:

It always amuses me how people wrap themselves up in faux indignation and use the fact that they are offended to silence their critics and push their own agenda.

Pretty perfect description of people who complain about "SJWs" online. Because man, are these guys easily and perpetually offended.

One of the great idiocies of our times are the foaming hordes of anti-feminists accusing women of being hysterical at the mere glimpse of mild cultural criticism. It's honestly kind of funny.

PureSlime said:

It generates YouTube views, though!

Those feminists get pwn3d real hard

It's bizarre how overwhelmingly one-sided the whole YouTube pundit phenomenom is. As soon as you view anything even remotely political, your front page recommendations will be flooded with videos of these angry white 20-somethings with unkempt facial hair ranting about those goshdarn SJWs, radical(lol) feminists and regressive leftists. There's practically no "other side" equivalent to be seen.

I'm not even convinced any more that most of these people believe even half of what they're saying. This has turned into such a lucrative industry that they have a very clear financial incentive to keep throwing out new videos at regular intervals.

GeckoYamori said:

As soon as you view anything even remotely political, your front page recommendations will be flooded with videos of these angry white 20-somethings with unkempt facial hair ranting about those goshdarn SJWs, radical(lol) feminists and regressive leftists.

Why they gotta be white though? That seems like a racially charged accusation.

rileymartin said:

Why they gotta be white though? That seems like a racially charged accusation.

It's not an accusation when its the truth. Angry white suburbanites complaining about women doing things is the hip new Youtube meme

Should this thread get helled?

Anyways, "SJW" is purely a GamerGate invention used to attack intersectional feminists in blind rage obviously and the word is meaningless beyond that.

It's essentially a expy of "Witch", "Communist", etc which serves the same function since GamerGate is nothing more than a witch hunt and harassment/abuse campaign to drive women off the gaming industry to keep it purely white male no different than racists wanting to deport "illegals" back to countries where western imperialism has destroyed in the first place.

GeckoYamori said:

It's bizarre how overwhelmingly one-sided the whole YouTube pundit phenomenom is.

Not really. SJWs don't use youtube because the the comments section there is a free-for-all shitstorm of autism that's next to impossible to moderate. If your entire shtick revolves around actively avoiding certain truths you would rather not be known... yeah, maybe best sticking to tumblr and twitter where you can backchannel and delete your way around 'problematic' content.

Mr. Freeze said:

It's not an accusation when its the truth. Angry white suburbanites complaining about women doing things is the hip new Youtube meme

Are you saying, sir, that white male on white male complaining does not happen?! Is that what you're saying, SIR!?

darknation said:

If your entire shtick revolves around actively avoiding certain truths you would rather not be known...

That's literally what those MRA dudes are though?

I mean, that's basically what all these dudes are doing. Men's Rights Activism and similar "Anti-SJW" movements can be summarized in "Help! The world is scary and I want to blame women* for what I don't understand!"

Cue 200 videos ranting about Anita Sarkeesian.

*exchange with immigrants/muslims/jews/black people as needed

thaquoth said:

That's literally what those MRA dudes are though?

Both sides are disgustingly hypocritical and equally loathsome. I pray that the SJWs will actually grow a pair and finally get around to drinking the fucking kool-aid, whilst the MRAs are simultaneously wiped out when scientists invent an autism vaccine.

If you had asked me about "social justice warriors" circa 2012-2013, I might've grumbled something about them. To me at the time the term referred to those detached cultists on social media who ride on the coattails of prominent social issues as a mere pretext to their own nastiness -- douchey preps, basically. That's why they only ever seem to pick the dumbest, most insignificant battles, such as dumb celebrity tweets, names of rock bands, whether a corporate Disney movie is "intersectional" enough, and whether someone's hairstyle is an act of "imperialism" -- all while incessantly sprucing up their social media pages, never really doing anything.

I still think that those people exist, but I wouldn't think to use the above term to designate them now, because in our current discourse it simply means anyone to the left of Trump, or anyone who expresses any care about social justice whatsoever, or anyone who even implies that (the horror!) things like inequality aren't because some people are simply of better breeding and therefore you should just be a good little meek peasant of magically predetermined caste and pick my fucking turnips, pleb.

This all has nothing to with the polarization of the general human populace, basic human psychology, and "us and them" scenarios.

Fun fact, people tend to divide things into twos because it is the easiest to understand. Dichotomous tree: with and without. Morality: right and wrong. Hell, even comp logic operates on it is or it isn't.

Maybe what's important in life is to understand that we are all agist, sexist, racist, nationalist, and any other -ist or -ism under the sun, at least to some small degree. It is engrained in the way our brains work and the way we learn. Perhaps the solution is whether you look for similarities or differences... But this is all just too much, someone put on the music so we can all vegetate-out.

It would be nice if both sides decided to talk with each other, but its clear from this thread that it will never be the case. People here seem too busy trying to find ways to demonize those they seem to disagree with, seemingly to avoid proper discourse. Its funny that nearly every post about the subject, mostly directed to anti-sjws, has been insulting, dehumanizing rhetoric. And by funny, I mean incredibly tragic and disgusting.

sudo459 said:

If their way of progressing is through censorship

That didn't take long.
But hey, I get to post this again!

Thanks for misinterpreting what I meant about censorship. Notice I didn't mention free speech once.
Also, people generally think shutting up those they disagree with is a good thing. I never understood that. Its like people are genuinely afraid of having their ideas challenged. Here's an example, flagging YouTube channels you disagree with, or petitioning governments to block speakers whom you disagree with.

Just because the government isn't the one doing it doesn't mean it isn't censorship. It is still censorship. It's just legal because the first amendment only protects against GOVERNMENT censorship. That being said that doesn't mean people don't have a right to be upset with private censorship. That's how it works. You have the right to be upset at someone else's speech and take actions within your own power as a result and everyone else has an equal right to criticize those actions.

The right to offend and the right to be offended are extremely important aspects of discourse and individual agency.

Uh huh. You were just using the academic meaning of the word with no connotations at all. How stupid does one have to be to believe that?

Tell you what: to avoid further confusion, you ought to state clearly that you absolutely support censorship if one side is clearly based in ignorance - even if it's your position that is ignorant.

You know, since we're using the term "censorship" in a vacuum, being the elevated Ubermenschen that we are.

Tarnsman said:

Just because the government isn't the one doing it doesn't mean it isn't censorship. It is still censorship. It's just legal because the first amendment only protects against GOVERNMENT censorship. That being said that doesn't mean people don't have a right to be upset with private censorship. That's how it works. You have the right to be upset at someone else's speech and take actions within your own power as a result and everyone else has an equal right to criticize those actions.

The right to offend and the right to be offended are extremely important aspects of discourse and individual agency.

It has to do with whether you personally find that type of private censorship to be good or not.

Personally, I don't think there's any issue with people doing things like disabling comments, blocking people, etc. for any particular reason. I think attacking people over that is kind of pointless because they're within their rights to do that. Even if you don't like it. It doesn't do anything to address points made or anything like that.

Lots of "anti-SJWs" love to yell and moan about people like intersectional feminists on YouTube disabling comments and such to filter out discrimination and negativity. But this is a really petty complaint. It's like getting mad because someone kicked you out of their house for being rude. It doesn't do anything to substantiate an argument or prove anything.

Private censorship isn't automatically bad. It's not the same thing as government regulated censorship. And it sure isn't the same thing as criticizing things like sexism in video games and advising consumers to vote with their dollar via boycotts.

The anti-SJW side of things is just so baffling to me because there's no real arguments being made. It's just a lot of whining about people making criticisms that they don't like.

Oh, that and resorting to calling people names when they run out of things to complain about. Accusing male feminists especially of being "manginas" for supporting feminist causes. Like, what a complete and total non-argument.

insanoflex312 said:

Wow Bucket seriously doesn't know what the difference between censorship and freedom of speech is? Not surprising

He just wanted to feel important by being condescending instead of contributing. His posts are just like his maps. Garbage.

As you can see by the progression of this thread in general, there are lot of people who are quite reactive and touchy about this issue, which, getting back to the original point of the thread, is a huge factor I think in why these threads are helled quickly.

This is a great discussion and everything, but what we really need to concentrate on is the feeling of my hands on your back, my massive member penetrating your tight ass, and my rhythmic hip thrusts while you scream "you're fucking tearing me apart!!" while I laugh sardonically and somewhat regretfully, the past entering my mind; a single tear striking across my face, dropping from my chin, clashing romantically with the blood on the floor, in a gentle, relaxed slow-motion effect.

Bucket said:

Uh huh. You were just using the academic meaning of the word with no connotations at all. How stupid does one have to be to believe that?

Tell you what: to avoid further confusion, you ought to state clearly that you absolutely support censorship if one side is clearly based in ignorance - even if it's your position that is ignorant.

You know, since we're using the term "censorship" in a vacuum, being the elevated Ubermenschen that we are.

I don't support censorship at all, especially if the opposition is based on ignorance. Why? Because I have the balls to recognize that I could be wrong. The only way to find out is through proper discourse. The only reason to shut people up is simply because having to think is hard.

Decay said:

He just wanted to feel important by being condescending instead of contributing. His posts are just like his maps. Garbage.

Absolute savagery.

deadwolves said:

This is a great discussion and everything, but what we really need to concentrate on is the feeling of my hands on your back, my massive member penetrating your tight ass, and my rhythmic hip thrusts while you scream "you're fucking tearing me apart!!" while I laugh sardonically and somewhat regretfully, the past entering my mind; a single tear striking across my face, dropping from my chin, clashing romantically with the blood on the floor, in a gentle, relaxed slow-motion effect.

Man, if you want out of here for good, why don't you just ask? Or just leave?

I guess I get your desire to go out in style and leaving a lasting horrific impression, though, so who am I kidding.

PureSlime said:

It has to do with whether you personally find that type of private censorship to be good or not.

Personally, I don't think there's any issue with people doing things like disabling comments, blocking people, etc. for any particular reason. I think attacking people over that is kind of pointless because they're within their rights to do that. Even if you don't like it. It doesn't do anything to address points made or anything like that.

The reason people complain about stuff like that is, I would assume, since I personally dont see anything wrong with that, is it stops the discussion. But, honestly, I see much more than complaining about petty stuff like that. I know of personal attacks and even doxing because someone disagreed with your ideas of "privilege", etc. Protesting speeches in order to shut down the speaker, hate-speech laws, flagging blogs/videos on public sites, etc. are the things which I'm against. These things do nothing but create the "us versus them" mentality that cause all these problems, shutting down any sort of discussion about the real problems.

PureSlime said:

Lots of "anti-SJWs" love to yell and moan about people like intersectional feminists on YouTube disabling comments and such to filter out discrimination and negativity. But this is a really petty complaint. It's like getting mad because someone kicked you out of their house for being rude. It doesn't do anything to substantiate an argument or prove anything.

I totally agree that such things are petty to complain about, but I don't really see that very often.

PureSlime said:

The anti-SJW side of things is just so baffling to me because there's no real arguments being made. It's just a lot of whining about people making criticisms that they don't like.

What? Watch ChrisRayGun, Bane666, and others. They make arguments. You might not agree with it, but they make arguments. Watch The Amazing Atheist's videos on the BLM. Sure he's an asshole, but he makes arguments. Why you think there is no arguments being make is what's really baffling. You could even watch the Factual Feminist's videos about new feminism, they are very interesting.

PureSlime said:

Oh, that and resorting to calling people names when they run out of things to complain about. Accusing male feminists especially of being "manginas" for supporting feminist causes. Like, what a complete and total non-argument.

Eh, I see "racist" and "sexist" or other similar words used by SJW for the same purpose. I guess since I don't watch too much pro-SJW stuff, most of what you described comes from the pro-SJWs not the anti-SJWs. Then again, I'd bet it's about equal from both sides.