Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tracer

Life Hacks

Do you have any cool solutions to common problems or annoyances? List them here!

My issue is one that many people can relate to.

Bugs in the house.

Here's what I did to keep the earwigs out of my house (we had a decent infestation last week).

I sprayed some WD-40 along the track of the back door (sliding glass door) and just outside of the front door. Within 24 hours, our earwig problem was gone. So I tried this on the windowsills in my room to see if it would keep the spiders out. Presto.

I also have a door that doesn't like to stay open. So all I did was pull the pin out of the hinge and wedge a couple of twist-ties in there along with the pin and that took care of that problem. The door acts normally now.

What kind of neat tricks do you have up your sleeves?

Hate how they are call "Life hacks!" As if they are somewhat magical and coded by experts. You know what they are really? TIPS...or HINTS...or just plain common sense :V

Bobby pins can be used as bag clips, new handles on a zippers, clips to hold your loose belt end, money clip, and paper clips. Also for hair, of course.

As with most things, I forget life hacks almost the same instant I read about them. But I always remember this one in particular:

(tough shit you are farsighted)

When I cook toast in a toaster I hold the knife above the toaster a little so it cuts through the cold butter with ease (but don't hold it too long because I imagine it fucking burns, don't drop it because death happens... Really just don't fuck it up).

Bad advice but it is all I got.

Here's mine:
If you want to get really good in a multiplayer game, use hacks. If you got banned for using hacks, that means you've mastered the game.

Aquanet said:

Make copies of CDs from the library.

How's that.

make vhs copies of the die hard tapes you rented from your corner drugstore

I just watch "Life Hacker" on Nat Geo.
Well, watched.

Here's one: you can seperate the yolk from the white of an egg using an empty bottle.

TraceOfSpades said:

^How do you seperate the yolk of an egg with an empty bottle?

Physics.

Squeeze the empty bottle and keep it squeezed.
Put the turn it upside down and put the hole over over the yolk.
Stop squeezing the bottle and the yolk will instantly go in the bottle.

Life hacks seem so XX century. Nowadays we seek to do everything on computer. If something needs a life hack, it needs an app, gadget or service.

Life Hack #1:
Cycle to work, save lots of money, stay fit, faster than a bus or car (even 16km out, following the rules and everything), and when you get hit by some asshole playing pokemon you get a day or two off work. Genius, I know.

Life Hack #2:
Become an alpha male in just five weeks.

Step 1 - Materials: Yourself
Step 2 - Stop showering
Step 3 - This actually comes naturally, but the idea is to not fight it. Start walking and standing with your legs really wide out. No woman likes a man who's knees are almost touching as he walks/stands. Now you may be asking, how does this happen naturally? Well, after the 2nd or 3rd day without showering, your balls will be sticking to your legs, this is uncomfortable.

Week 1:
Women will be staring at you, probably wondering why they're so attracted to some greasy nerd. This is the pheromones releasing from the aroma of your manly musk that they are inhaling.

Week 1.5:
You start to look like this guy.

Your body is beginning to morph into the alpha male, your neck will sink into your shoulders and your nostrils will permanently become larger, and more ape-like. Your balding begins.

Week 3:

You're now considered an alpha-omega male. Your skin will become thicker and rougher, and you'll become completely bald, but don't worry, this is temporary.

Week 5:

Congrats! You have reached full silverback alpha fucking male status. Now you can barge into any fucking bar and the women will flock to you.

TheWizard said:

Cycle to work, save lots of money, stay fit, faster than a bus or car (even 16km out, following the rules and everything), and when you get hit by some asshole playing pokemon you get a day or two off work. Genius, I know.

I had a science teacher that would always bike to school, even in awful weather. He once biked to school during a blizzard and he came in wearing so much layers of clothing that all you could see was his glasses popping out of his face.

Doominator2 said:

I had a science teacher that would always bike to school, even in awful weather. He once biked to school during a blizzard and he came in wearing so much layers of clothing that all you could see was his glasses popping out of his face.

I always wondered about the teachers who bike to work. I usually think "They received too many DUI's and had their license revoked".

Every morning, eat a piece of fruit, and a pink of 50% orange juice, and 50% apple juice or whatever pure juices you like. That's three portions of fruit & vegetables instantly.

If you want to snack, try pumpkin seeds, rice cakes, peanuts or nut mixes, they're full of protein.

Aim to buy the lowest brand food. Unless it's meat.

If you want to read but don't want a hard book, try a mature-themed comic book (like the Sandman).

If you want to keep eye contact with someone but can't stand them or are too shy, focus on their forehead or the area between their eyebrows instead.

If you want revenge against a call centre, call them, wait until you are waiting for an advisor and hang up. Keep doing this many, many times, with multiple phones if you like. It fucks their statistics up and can potentially lead to them losing their entire contract.

When looking for work, treat companies as if they were customers. Concentrate on only your good points, clear up your bad areas just like companies sell to other customers themselves.

Dice up raw mushroom, onion, lots of tomato, cabbage, lettuce, and cucumber, throw it all into a bowl, and eat it raw. You now have eaten an extremely cheap and healthy meal.

If you are forced to punch someone, perhaps to protect someone else, aim for their nose.

If the attacker is wearing a motorcycle helmet, simply grab the base of his helmet and push, pull, shake or twist to your advantage.

If the attacker kicks, grab the leg, and pull. This will leave them on the floor.

If you're being arrested, don't resist or assault the policemen.

Compound interest is how people get rich.

Pay consistently into a pension, even (especially) if you consider yourself young.